Jump to topic:

Any animals that experience humor?

Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2010 2:16:22 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Apes who have been taught sign language occasionally make human-style jokes.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2010 2:23:55 PM
At 1/16/2010 1:59:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
http://www.eurekalert.org...

I don't know if any other animals have humour, but I wouldn't bet against it.

To experience humor a you usually have to be able to think about other's mental states are; to think about what someone else is thinking.

This is a pretty high level of social consciousness requiring not only reading the signs of others but positing that those signs represent ideas that they have.

I doubt any other animals have any sense of it, though maybe apes and dolphins a little bit. I doubt dogs do though they're always interested in what others do, and read the signs good, I doubt they think about what you're thinking.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2010 2:26:46 PM
There was a story about how an octopus was normally fed fresh shrimp, and one day, a batch of sub-par shrimp was given to it. It picked the shrimp up, and stuck it into the drain, all while keeping close eye contact with its caretaker.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2010 3:03:11 PM
At 1/16/2010 1:59:34 PM, Volkov wrote:
http://www.eurekalert.org...

I don't know if any other animals have humour, but I wouldn't bet against it.

Thank you for think link.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2010 11:02:13 PM
My wife's dog fell off of the recliner last week and I am sure my kittehs laughed at him. I was laughing at the mean little thing too, but they seemed amused. <ouch> My wife just politely informed me that the dog is mine also and I should not tell everyone embarrassing stories about him.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2010 6:48:14 AM
Everybody knows dogs have a sense of humour, as this nursery rhyme demonstrates:

Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon.
The little dog laughed to see such fun
And the dish ran away with the spoon!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2010 3:27:06 AM
At 1/16/2010 1:58:08 PM, FREEDO wrote:
And what is the evolutionary cause for humor?

No, Evolution theory IS the joke and it's on you..
The Cross.. the Cross.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2010 1:21:50 AM
I had a German Shepherd who invented games to play with me ... I liked to kneel down, give her scritches and play with her ... a couple times, she grabbed the glasses off my face and ran to the far side of the yard, looked back and intentionally made me chase her.

I don't know if you consider that humor or not, but dogs definitely seek to entertain themselves and us.
Aesius
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/18/2010 10:27:31 AM
Humor is probably only going to be found among social animals, as a social construct. I don't have any definitive examples on hand, but I would not find it shocking to find it present in the "higher" apes.