Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Growing meat out of stem cells

Rob1Billion
Posts: 1,338
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2010 10:28:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So apparently they are growing little strips of bacon in the lab out of pig stem cells. One animal could feed thousands. Sounds kind of like the fission promise of "energy too cheap to meter"...

Meat would be cheaper, more plentiful, less environmental impacting, more nutritional, less fatty, and would hypothetically escape problems such as bioaccumulation of environmental hazards (e.g. PCBs, Hg). The only problem is taste and texture, which is supposed to taste pretty bad (if anyone ever gets up the nerve to be the first to taste the stuff) and "probably" has the texture of a scallop, they say. Ew. Spam just got promoted.

Who knows... Maybe when we are much older, only the richest folk will eat real cow steaks and pig bacon. From my vantage point, this would be the case anyway, without scallop amino-acid soaked meta-bacon. With every person that is born, it makes a little less sense to raise aminals for food.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2010 10:30:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/16/2010 10:28:45 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
So apparently they are growing little strips of bacon in the lab out of pig stem cells. One animal could feed thousands. Sounds kind of like the fission promise of "energy too cheap to meter"...

Meat would be cheaper, more plentiful, less environmental impacting, more nutritional, less fatty, and would hypothetically escape problems such as bioaccumulation of environmental hazards (e.g. PCBs, Hg). The only problem is taste and texture, which is supposed to taste pretty bad (if anyone ever gets up the nerve to be the first to taste the stuff) and "probably" has the texture of a scallop, they say. Ew. Spam just got promoted.

Who knows... Maybe when we are much older, only the richest folk will eat real cow steaks and pig bacon. From my vantage point, this would be the case anyway, without scallop amino-acid soaked meta-bacon. With every person that is born, it makes a little less sense to raise aminals for food.

Perfect for the commie utopia, Feed the masses w/o the predictable famines.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
DevinKing
Posts: 206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 12:42:24 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/16/2010 10:28:45 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
So apparently they are growing little strips of bacon in the lab out of pig stem cells. One animal could feed thousands. Sounds kind of like the fission promise of "energy too cheap to meter"...

Meat would be cheaper, more plentiful, less environmental impacting, more nutritional, less fatty, and would hypothetically escape problems such as bioaccumulation of environmental hazards (e.g. PCBs, Hg). The only problem is taste and texture, which is supposed to taste pretty bad (if anyone ever gets up the nerve to be the first to taste the stuff) and "probably" has the texture of a scallop, they say. Ew. Spam just got promoted.


--I'm sure that the taste will be improvable over time. But, even if it doesn't get improved, there are still large portions of the population which are poor enough to jump at the chance to get any meat.

Who knows... Maybe when we are much older, only the richest folk will eat real cow steaks and pig bacon. From my vantage point, this would be the case anyway, without scallop amino-acid soaked meta-bacon. With every person that is born, it makes a little less sense to raise aminals for food.

--I agree. Fast-forward five-hundred years and meat from actual animals will be extremely expensive.
After demonstrating his existence with complete certainty with the proposition "I think, therefore I am", Descartes walks into a bar, sitting next to a gorgeous priest. The priest asks Descartes, "Would you like a drink?" Descartes responds, "I think not," and then proceeds to vanish in a puff of illogic.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2010 1:17:04 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/16/2010 10:30:36 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:

Perfect for the commie utopia, Feed the masses w/o the predictable famines.

Funny...
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 6:31:53 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/16/2010 10:28:45 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
One animal could feed thousands.

Now if scientists could just get that "water to wine" thing to work...
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2010 8:45:22 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/18/2010 6:31:53 AM, Kleptin wrote:
At 1/16/2010 10:28:45 PM, Rob1Billion wrote:
One animal could feed thousands.

Now if scientists could just get that "water to wine" thing to work...

or that "Resurrecting the dead' Thing to work too.

My new hypothesis as to what Jesus was, is that he was from the future, where robots have killed off most of the human race, and Jesus was sent back in time so that mankind would not need to create massive armies of robot deathsquads! He used his advanced technology to replicate food and turn water to wine and even raise himself from the dead! The angels that the women saw in Jesus tomb, were also people from the future who were trying to work the Resurrecto-machine!