Jump to topic:

Tachyon Detection

theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:36:33 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
So recently I was thinking about how it might be possible to detect tachyons and I think I found a way to do it.

TACHYONS: subatomic particles that can only move faster than the speed of light; as they get closer to the speed of light their energy increases(similar to how the energy of normal particles increase as they get closer to the speed of light;) in addition to that since they move faster than light they have negative mass.

THE DETECTOR
The detector consists of a tube. Outside of the tube is one part of a Michelson interferometer. One leg of the interferometer stays out of the tube while the other leg passes through the center of the tube. On both sides of the tube are transparent vessels containing liquid helium. Entangled photons produced by spontaneous parametric down-conversion pass through both vessels. Hypothetically they are transferring information with tachyons which when passed through the liquid helium lose energy further decreasing their mass. When the tachyons pass through the leg of the interferometer inside the tube they will cause a microscopic expansion of space distorting the path of the laser beam that can be detected.

What are your thoughts on this?
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 3:23:25 PM
At 2/5/2014 11:36:33 AM, theta_pinch wrote:
So recently I was thinking about how it might be possible to detect tachyons and I think I found a way to do it.

TACHYONS: subatomic particles that can only move faster than the speed of light; as they get closer to the speed of light their energy increases(similar to how the energy of normal particles increase as they get closer to the speed of light;) in addition to that since they move faster than light they have negative mass.

THE DETECTOR
The detector consists of a tube. Outside of the tube is one part of a Michelson interferometer. One leg of the interferometer stays out of the tube while the other leg passes through the center of the tube. On both sides of the tube are transparent vessels containing liquid helium. Entangled photons produced by spontaneous parametric down-conversion pass through both vessels. Hypothetically they are transferring information with tachyons which when passed through the liquid helium lose energy further decreasing their mass. When the tachyons pass through the leg of the interferometer inside the tube they will cause a microscopic expansion of space distorting the path of the laser beam that can be detected.

I thought cherenkov detectors were used for faster than light particles.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 8:04:00 AM

THE DETECTOR

Not a nuclear physicist, but I do know one. I will take this to him and see what he thinks.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 5:31:09 AM

THE DETECTOR

I"m not sure why you"d pass them through the liquid helium, but if it does cause them to lose energy, they will just get faster. They have negative mass, so if it does decrease their mass, it gets a higher negative value? I"m not even sure what negative mass means so I don"t know what decreasing it gets you.

Why would the tachyon cause a microscopic expansion of space?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater