Jump to topic:

Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham Debate

janetsanders733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 11:44:59 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Anyone partook in watching Bill Nye and Ken ham debate? I saw it and thought it was okay. I mean I'm not a Young Earth Creationist, but I think some philosophical issues were brought to the table that I think were good.

https://www.youtube.com...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 12:17:54 PM
At 2/5/2014 11:44:59 AM, janetsanders733 wrote:
Anyone partook in watching Bill Nye and Ken ham debate? I saw it and thought it was okay. I mean I'm not a Young Earth Creationist, but I think some philosophical issues were brought to the table that I think were good.

I watched it, and I thought it was interesting.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 6:40:21 PM
I found both of them managed to totally dodge questions. It may as well have been Barack and Romney.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 6:43:54 PM
At 2/5/2014 6:40:21 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
I found both of them managed to totally dodge questions. It may as well have been Barack and Romney.

What questions do you think Nye avoided?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:19:10 PM
A debate that is not worth repeating or discussing. Both were philosophically ill-equipped yet they were engaging in philosophical debate. I found the skills the of both debaters to be forgettable since they had everything prepared in a powerpoint(I found this to be repulsive). Nye should of focused more on science instead of trying to use morality as he did in a number of times.
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc
janetsanders733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:21:12 PM
"Don't click on my profile. Don't send me friend requests. Don't read my debates. There are many interesting people on DDO. Find one of them. Go find someone exciting and loquacious. Go click on their profile. Go send them friend requests. Go read their debates. Leave me alone." -Tophatdoc

Too late. jk jk j k j jkfkjfjkfjkfkjfjkfkfdjklafjlsafdjslkjflk
Tophatdoc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:23:57 PM
At 2/5/2014 8:21:12 PM, janetsanders733 wrote:

lol that was a quick read. I didn't know someone was going to point it out that fast. Another member and I have a small competition taking place lol
janetsanders733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 8:28:52 PM
At 2/5/2014 8:23:57 PM, Tophatdoc wrote:
At 2/5/2014 8:21:12 PM, janetsanders733 wrote:

lol that was a quick read. I didn't know someone was going to point it out that fast. Another member and I have a small competition taking place lol

hahahha
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2014 10:26:42 PM
20 minutes in and Ham is calling atheism a religion. Is the remainder of this debate as equally stupid?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 12:55:06 AM
At 2/5/2014 10:26:42 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
20 minutes in and Ham is calling atheism a religion. Is the remainder of this debate as equally stupid?

Yeah, this is what I want to know. Is this debate remotely worth watching? Does Nye at least keep things interesting?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 12:52:43 PM

I think Ken Ham is fighting a losing battle going against modern science and how they know the age of the earth from tree rings and such, Ken's rebuttal that the tree rings are historical science and not observational as nobody saw how the tree rings formed, is going a bit to far.

But I think Ken made a valid point that science is being hijacked by secularists, stating that scientists are shunned by the scientific community if they declare they are believers. I find this statement to be true.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 1:41:50 PM
At 2/5/2014 6:43:54 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 2/5/2014 6:40:21 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

What questions do you think Nye avoided?

I can't remember. Lol. Maybe I was wrong.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
janetsanders733
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 1:57:02 PM
At 2/6/2014 12:52:43 PM, johnlubba wrote:

I think Ken Ham is fighting a losing battle going against modern science and how they know the age of the earth from tree rings and such, Ken's rebuttal that the tree rings are historical science and not observational as nobody saw how the tree rings formed, is going a bit to far.

Yeah, I mean I used to be a YEC, until I realized that 6000 years is just impossible due to the evidence. And I also realize that the Bible doesn't actually say 6000 years like most yec's believe. They mistakenly count the days as literal and the genealogies between Adam and Christ. But the genealogies are just from major figures of the Bible. It doesn't include every King and ruler on earth. Nor does it include every father-son on earth. Plus we can rely on radiometric dating and count the daughter Isotopes etc...and the amount of time it takes to decay.

But I think Ken made a valid point that science is being hijacked by secularists, stating that scientists are shunned by the scientific community if they declare they are believers. I find this statement to be true.

Absolutely, I think that Ken should have just argued that instead of the age of the earth. That way it would really help make is point since the topic of the debate was "Is the creation model viable in science",

I admire Francis Collins work. I'm torn between Old-Earth Creationism and Theistic Evolution. Although I would like to see Francis Collins and Bill Nye debate. Theistic Evolution vs. Atheistic Evolution.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 2:16:48 PM

I didn't watch the whole thing. I found it interesting though... Not a YEC at all. Don't really have an opinion on evolution either way.

I did find the part about philosophical world views interesting though. I have to hand it to Bill Nye for being so pleasant too.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Pareidolic-Dreamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 4:19:46 PM

I watched most of it.

I thought Ham presented his thoughts better than Nye did. Ham was certainly wrong, IMO. I'm not a YEC.

I do believe in some form of God, but I also believe in science to its limitations (which I think are many.)

Still, I think I'd have liked to have seen Degrasse, take on Ham, instead of Nye.

Nye talked a lot, especially in rebuttal, about time and timing, but he never got round to telling the lay person why we can rely on the dating techniques. I know they didn't have much time for details, I just think that was a particularly important detail, and a fail for Nye.
Pareidolic-Dreamer
I see wall people.

When I argue against someone's truths, I always feel like I am arguing just as strongly against my own.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 4:33:27 PM
I think Ham did a better job of presenting his arguments, while Nye had better arguments. If it happened on DDO and I were judging it, it would go like this:

...................NyeTheGreat1955 .YECHam
S/G- ....................0 ..............................1
C- .........................0.............................. 0
Arg- ....................3 ..............................0
Src- ....................2 ...............................0

Total- Nye gets 5, Ham 2.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 6:03:43 PM
At 2/6/2014 4:33:27 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
I think Ham did a better job of presenting his arguments, while Nye had better arguments. If it happened on DDO and I were judging it, it would go like this:

...................NyeTheGreat1955 .YECHam
S/G- ....................0 ..............................1
C- .........................0.............................. 0
Arg- ....................3 ..............................0
Src- ....................2 ...............................0

Total- Nye gets 5, Ham 1.

lol NyeTheGreat1955
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.