Jump to topic:

Evolution is not rocket science

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2014 8:58:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Monkeys do not magically transform into humans. Through the process of natural selection and speciation, certain genetic characteristics and species suffer extinction, and other genes and species survive and breed, making them dominant. This occurs due to environmental factors such as predation, natural disaster, or disease. The process of natural selection then repeats itself as species interact with the environment over a great span of time, and more species are weeded out as others are selected. The result -- such as the case with humans -- is an upright, bipedal creature bearing similar genetic information as monkeys, which makes early hominids a likely ancestor to modern homo sapiens. Furthermore, Where this process might first appear magical, it is actually just the result of chance, multiple mutations on genes, and the natural "selection" of those genes, and the development of new species through this process.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 8:44:32 AM
At 2/7/2014 10:26:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Y u mad bro?

Evolutionists have it all. Its taught in classrooms. In universities. Its accepted by a majority of scientists. It has all the evidence supporting it. All the reputable journals and scientific forums support it.

Why would evolutionists be mad? Creationsts, certainly are, but evolutionists already have everything they want.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 1:06:13 PM
At 2/8/2014 8:44:32 AM, tkubok wrote:
Y u mad bro?

Evolutionists have it all. Its taught in classrooms. In universities. Its accepted by a majority of scientists. It has all the evidence supporting it. All the reputable journals and scientific forums support it.

Why would evolutionists be mad? Creationsts, certainly are, but evolutionists already have everything they want.

WHY WOULD I BE MAD I'M RIGHT
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 1:31:41 PM
At 2/8/2014 1:06:13 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Y u mad bro?

Because you dont get your way, not in classrooms in public schools, not in the general scientific community, not in the peer reviewed journals.

Evolution is accepted in everything that actually matters.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 1:40:15 PM
At 2/8/2014 1:31:41 PM, tkubok wrote:
Y u mad bro?

Because you dont get your way, not in classrooms in public schools, not in the general scientific community, not in the peer reviewed journals.

I'm not theist bro, just wondering why the garden variety atheist gets so mad about things like this. Einstein made out it was because they were tricked and are now MAD, but I think otherwise, that it's down to justification/hate mostly. And then I think these things do nothing to teach, either; only welcome those like-minded into the MAD.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 1:44:51 PM
I'm pretty sure this thread was created in MAD, actually. I think I might have pushed some buttons >:3
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 2:07:17 PM
At 2/8/2014 1:40:15 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Y u mad bro?

I'm not theist bro, just wondering why the garden variety atheist gets so mad about things like this. Einstein made out it was because they were tricked and are now MAD, but I think otherwise, that it's down to justification/hate mostly. And then I think these things do nothing to teach, either; only welcome those like-minded into the MAD.

I read his post, and i didnt get the feeling at all, that he was mad. I mean, it was an explanation as to how evolution works. It didnt contain any rants, nor were parts of the message capitalized, nor were there swear words or making references to idiots, retards etc.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 2:22:39 PM
At 2/8/2014 2:07:17 PM, tkubok wrote:
Y u mad bro?

I read his post, and i didnt get the feeling at all, that he was mad. I mean, it was an explanation as to how evolution works. It didnt contain any rants, nor were parts of the message capitalized, nor were there swear words or making references to idiots, retards etc.

It was literally an outburst. Also, I've also been berating this poster's intelligence of late, and so the title is of interest too.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 2:44:35 PM
At 2/8/2014 2:22:39 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Y u mad bro?

It was literally an outburst. Also, I've also been berating this poster's intelligence of late, and so the title is of interest too.

Outbursts arent necessariliy done in anger. They can be done in Frustration, in love, etc.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 3:33:16 PM
At 2/8/2014 2:44:35 PM, tkubok wrote:
Y u mad bro?

Outbursts arent necessariliy done in anger. They can be done in Frustration, in love, etc.

Anger and frustration are pretty much equivalent here.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 4:11:22 PM
At 2/7/2014 8:58:21 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The result -- such as the case with humans -- is an upright, bipedal creature bearing similar genetic information as monkeys, which makes early hominids a likely ancestor to modern homo sapiens.

I thought that genetic similarities didn't carry any bearing on relationship between a species, rather, genetic expression; that is, how the genes are used; that are the key to figuring out if there is actually any true link.

And, which hominids? Where is the link between homo erectus and modern humans?

Furthermore, Where this process might first appear magical, it is actually just the result of chance, multiple mutations on genes, and the natural "selection" of those genes, and the development of new species through this process.

But, aren't these mutations supposed to be beneficial? Why is it that humans have been losing mental capacity for the past 3,000 years?
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:22:07 PM
At 2/8/2014 3:33:16 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Y u mad bro?

I never knew you could read minds.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:26:47 PM
At 2/8/2014 5:22:07 PM, tkubok wrote:
Y u mad bro?

I'm rather good at it, yes. We're a mechanical being, in case you haven't realised =P
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:48:55 PM
Einstein's possible bias is obvious, by the way - as regards his putting forward atheists being mad because they were tricked. Smartest dude EVER, right? Einstein: "Nah, I'm not mad bro. You're the MAD."
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 7:32:08 PM
At 2/8/2014 4:11:22 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 2/7/2014 8:58:21 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
The result -- such as the case with humans -- is an upright, bipedal creature bearing similar genetic information as monkeys, which makes early hominids a likely ancestor to modern homo sapiens.

I thought that genetic similarities didn't carry any bearing on relationship between a species, rather, genetic expression; that is, how the genes are used; that are the key to figuring out if there is actually any true link.

And, which hominids? Where is the link between homo erectus and modern humans?

Furthermore, Where this process might first appear magical, it is actually just the result of chance, multiple mutations on genes, and the natural "selection" of those genes, and the development of new species through this process.

But, aren't these mutations supposed to be beneficial? Why is it that humans have been losing mental capacity for the past 3,000 years?

because it hasn't been dropping. On average the "normal" IQ of the human race is rising by 3 points every decade which is why the test needs constant updating. Where did you hear or read that human mental capacity is declining?
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 9:22:18 PM
At 2/8/2014 5:26:47 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Y u mad bro?

I'm rather good at it, yes. We're a mechanical being, in case you haven't realised =P

Cool, what number am i thinking of.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 9:44:36 PM
At 2/8/2014 9:22:18 PM, tkubok wrote:
Y u mad bro?

You were thinking of 17.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 10:31:36 PM
Y u mad bro?

Through vigorous, repeated penile intromission into your biological mother the soft tissues and smooth muscles of my shaft are sore from micro tears.

Jk, why do you think I'm mad?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 11:12:28 PM
At 2/8/2014 10:31:36 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Y u mad bro?

Through vigorous, repeated penile intromission into your biological mother the soft tissues and smooth muscles of my shaft are sore from micro tears.

Jk, why do you think I'm mad?

Hold on until this dude tells me I'm right about him thinking of 17.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 12:59:43 AM
At 2/8/2014 7:32:08 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

because it hasn't been dropping. On average the "normal" IQ of the human race is rising by 3 points every decade which is why the test needs constant updating. Where did you hear or read that human mental capacity is declining?

Well from what I've read its declining every decade.. and has dropped 14 pts over the last 100+ years.

There's no one place I read it, just check out the studies done by: Sir Francis Galton, Michael A. Woodley, Jan te Nijenhius, Raegan Murphy, or most recently Stanford professor Dr. Gerald Crabtree..

I mean I understand you're probably referring to the Flynn effect, which may be the best way to understand human intelligence, but these studies are more recent and seem to explain quite a bit more..
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 5:42:31 AM
At 2/9/2014 12:59:43 AM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 2/8/2014 7:32:08 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

Well from what I've read its declining every decade.. and has dropped 14 pts over the last 100+ years.

There's no one place I read it, just check out the studies done by: Sir Francis Galton, Michael A. Woodley, Jan te Nijenhius, Raegan Murphy, or most recently Stanford professor Dr. Gerald Crabtree..

I mean I understand you're probably referring to the Flynn effect, which may be the best way to understand human intelligence, but these studies are more recent and seem to explain quite a bit more..

I stand corrected.
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 6:13:57 AM
I haven't seen the studies myself but they wouldn't surprise me too much. We've developed enough technologically as a society to allow those to survive that otherwise wouldn't ( see treatments for inheritable diseases such as cystic fibrosis, anemia etc) and otherwise fatal defects (blindness, deafness etc).

Since we have removed much of the barrier natural selection would have filtered out, we would expect to see more people with lower intelligence/Other mental afflictions to survive.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 3:11:29 PM
At 2/9/2014 6:13:57 AM, Sswdwm wrote:
I haven't seen the studies myself but they wouldn't surprise me too much. We've developed enough technologically as a society to allow those to survive that otherwise wouldn't ( see treatments for inheritable diseases such as cystic fibrosis, anemia etc) and otherwise fatal defects (blindness, deafness etc).

Since we have removed much of the barrier natural selection would have filtered out, we would expect to see more people with lower intelligence/Other mental afflictions to survive.

So do you think then, that people in 3rd world countries are more evolved, or still at the peak of human intelligence, since they still deal with natural selection on a scale similar to before the decline thousands of years ago?
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2014 3:25:24 PM
At 2/9/2014 3:11:29 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
At 2/9/2014 6:13:57 AM, Sswdwm wrote:

So do you think then, that people in 3rd world countries are more evolved, or still at the peak of human intelligence, since they still deal with natural selection on a scale similar to before the decline thousands of years ago?

Natural selection is going to have a more substantial effect in areas where physical/mental fitness make a large difference in survival to reproduce. I understand where you're coming from regarding 3rd world countries and on the surface it would make sense but reality is most certainly more complicated than this.

There are studies done on ethnicity and cranial capacity which show an average asians>caucasians>black in terms of capacity, although the differences are small and has has substantially more time/effects of isolation to bring out these differences - if you were interested
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:43:34 AM
At 2/8/2014 9:44:36 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Y u mad bro?

You were thinking of 17.

Number i was thinking of was 42. Hitchikers guide to the galaxy. I thought that was an easy one to guess, but you werent even close.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 3:14:32 PM
At 2/11/2014 10:43:34 AM, tkubok wrote:
At 2/8/2014 9:44:36 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
Y u mad bro?

You were thinking of 17.

Number i was thinking of was 42. Hitchikers guide to the galaxy. I thought that was an easy one to guess, but you werent even close.

Should've copped that, yeah. I went for 17, the number of posts that were in this thread before you asked me to read you. I was kinda close in being sensible, don't ya think? I'd also just manipulated my brother into picking 17 for such a game and figured god might be on my side lol.