Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Guns in Space and Other STUPID Questions!

MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 7:01:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm basically posting this thread to help other people who are trying to add more to this forum than just 'Evolution vs. Creation' topics. Please, I implore you to ask questions of your own and answer any you can! But they must be space/extraterrestrial-related!

My brother is a military shoot-em-up video game fetishist with a body count that would make even the most brutal of genocidal dictators proud! One of his games in particular has bothered since the day be bought it though, more so than any other game, it's Call of Duty: Ghost. It wasn't the genocidal amount of brown Mislimy people I was killing that bothered me either, or even the animal abuse. No, it was the first level where you get to shoot at them in a space station! It looked like the developers paid a lot of attention to detail, it looked almost just like the thing on the NASA channel to me! And in the story even features the now underdog* USA's doomsday weapon which is based off of something that could hypothetically work- Project THOR. It made me wonder just how much they were able to get right. So, here's my first round of questions:

Is there a certain way you should hold your gun in space, and how do you make a gun that's recoil won't send you spinning away in a zero-g environment?

Since when is it a good idea to shoot a gun inside a space station? What are the consequences?

What would a military-issued combat spacesuit actually look like? What are some features that it probably should have had? I mean, I got hit by bullets a lot! So much so that my guy's spacesuit'd probably have been reduced to a birthday suit by the time the space station started exploding. That can't be good in space!

Would all that fire in the space station debris be there in the vacuum of space?

How long would I REALLY last falling back into the earth's atmosphere before burning up and dying (possibly not in that order)?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 10:05:41 AM
At 2/8/2014 7:01:36 AM, MrVan wrote:
I'm basically posting this thread to help other people who are trying to add more to this forum than just 'Evolution vs. Creation' topics. Please, I implore you to ask questions of your own and answer any you can! But they must be space/extraterrestrial-related!

I actually enjoy the evolution vs creation topics, but i understand how it can be boring to people who dont really care about biology and pseudoscience, respectively.

My brother is a military shoot-em-up video game fetishist with a body count that would make even the most brutal of genocidal dictators proud! One of his games in particular has bothered since the day be bought it though, more so than any other game, it's Call of Duty: Ghost. It wasn't the genocidal amount of brown Mislimy people I was killing that bothered me either, or even the animal abuse. No, it was the first level where you get to shoot at them in a space station! It looked like the developers paid a lot of attention to detail, it looked almost just like the thing on the NASA channel to me! And in the story even features the now underdog* USA's doomsday weapon which is based off of something that could hypothetically work- Project THOR. It made me wonder just how much they were able to get right. So, here's my first round of questions:

Is there a certain way you should hold your gun in space, and how do you make a gun that's recoil won't send you spinning away in a zero-g environment?

No, and putting your body against an object would prevent you from spinning away in a zero g environment.

Since when is it a good idea to shoot a gun inside a space station? What are the consequences?

Never a good idea. The consequences are that you will die in space.

What would a military-issued combat spacesuit actually look like? What are some features that it probably should have had? I mean, I got hit by bullets a lot! So much so that my guy's spacesuit'd probably have been reduced to a birthday suit by the time the space station started exploding. That can't be good in space!

Probably a space suit that was capable of filling the holes that come from the bullets hitting the suit, maybe via a gel like substance that hardens when exposed to the vacuum of space.

Would all that fire in the space station debris be there in the vacuum of space?

No. Fire needs oxygen. There is none in space.

How long would I REALLY last falling back into the earth's atmosphere before burning up and dying (possibly not in that order)?

depends on the distance and your initial falling speed. But this only accounts for mere seconds and nothing more.
MrVan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 4:24:05 PM
I actually enjoy the evolution vs creation topics, but i understand how it can be boring to people who dont really care about biology and pseudoscience, respectively.

I love the whole debate as well, don't get me wrong, and I think that it's one that America needs to have. But it's just been posted so many times on this forum, and there's hardly anything new coming out the discussion. You have to admit that it's at least a LITTLE repetitive. Too much of a good thing is still bad and all.

No, and putting your body against an object would prevent you from spinning away in a zero g environment.

Wouldn't holding the gun in the center of your gravity keep you from spinning though? Though I'd assume you'd still get blown back, but that's easier to counteract- especially if you have a jet pack! I could be wrong though.

Perhaps the gun has a muzzle break and stock tube to help reduce recoil? I'm still not honestly sure it'd work in space though. The guns in that level certainly looked like they were made for space - but perhaps my hopes are just too high. Alas, technobabble again!

Never a good idea. The consequences are that you will die in space.

Heh, yeah... thought as much!

Probably a space suit that was capable of filling the holes that come from the bullets hitting the suit, maybe via a gel like substance that hardens when exposed to the vacuum of space.

Sounds feasible and likely to me! As feasible as space soldiers ever will be, anyways. Is there actually a good excuse to put a human soldier in space... besides the fact that it'd be awesome?

No. Fire needs oxygen. There is none in space.

Not even coming out of a 'oxygen pipe' or whatever? That's kind of what it looked like in the game, or at least that was my brother's explanation.

depends on the distance and your initial falling speed. But this only accounts for mere seconds and nothing more.

Would you live long enough to see yourself burn up into splendorous flames like we did in the game? God forbid, that'd be terrible and scary!

Thanks for the reply, it's really appreciated!
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2014 5:16:38 PM
Perhaps the gun has a muzzle break and stock tube to help reduce recoil? I'm still not honestly sure it'd work in space though. The guns in that level certainly looked like they were made for space - but perhaps my hopes are just too high. Alas, technobabble again!

If all else fails, remember Newton's second law of motion. For a bullet that exits the gun of mv, you will always feel a recoil in the opposite direction of equal momentum.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 3:41:40 PM
At 2/8/2014 5:16:38 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

If all else fails, remember Newton's second law of motion. For a bullet that exits the gun of mv, you will always feel a recoil in the opposite direction of equal momentum.

Venting part of the hot gases formed when the explosives combust is a common method of reducing recoil.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 4:40:03 PM
At 2/15/2014 3:41:40 PM, chui wrote:

Venting part of the hot gases formed when the explosives combust is a common method of reducing recoil.

Makes sense, since the recoil consists of the negative momentum from both the projectile, and also the gasses which are forcibly ejected through the nozzle in a closed chamber (and this provided 'thrust' in a similar fashion to a rocket)

God most likely exists:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 6:29:03 PM
The vacuum of space would in a short time suck the air trapped inside the bullet out and render it useless. So shoot it right away once in space. You could shoot it inside the space craft but I would give a strong warning against that idea for obvious reasons.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 6:53:52 PM
At 2/16/2014 6:29:03 PM, sadolite wrote:
The vacuum of space would in a short time suck the air trapped inside the bullet out and render it useless. So shoot it right away once in space. You could shoot it inside the space craft but I would give a strong warning against that idea for obvious reasons.

A vacuum doesn't 'suck'.

The sucking effect is just an illusion, a vacuum is a void in which the randomly moving gas molecules will rapidly occupy. The *suck* comes from the pressure gradient, where gas will tend to flow from high to low. Therefore a gun shot in space should have the same recoil as one shot on earth..... I think

God most likely exists:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 7:28:06 PM
At 2/16/2014 6:53:52 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

A vacuum doesn't 'suck'.

The sucking effect is just an illusion, a vacuum is a void in which the randomly moving gas molecules will rapidly occupy. The *suck* comes from the pressure gradient, where gas will tend to flow from high to low. Therefore a gun shot in space should have the same recoil as one shot on earth..... I think

Ya what ever, the air inside the bullet will be removed from inside the bullet, Pushed pulled, sucked or otherwise. For every action there is an equal an opposite reaction. Your mass will determine the reaction of the force exerted by the bullet being fired if it does fire.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:15:50 PM
If you fire a gun in space the bullet stays still and you shoot backwards. Duh.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 6:13:57 AM

The explosive propellant usually contains a source of oxygen which only gives up the oxygen when heated eg thermal decomposition of nitrates so they should be fine in a vacuum.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 6:22:01 AM
At 2/15/2014 4:40:03 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

Makes sense, since the recoil consists of the negative momentum from both the projectile, and also the gasses which are forcibly ejected through the nozzle in a closed chamber (and this provided 'thrust' in a similar fashion to a rocket.

I've been talking to creationist too long. I had forgotten what it was like to have someone read what I say and make an rational response.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 7:45:37 AM
At 2/17/2014 6:22:01 AM, chui wrote:

Makes sense, since the recoil consists of the negative momentum from both the projectile, and also the gasses which are forcibly ejected through the nozzle in a closed chamber (and this provided 'thrust' in a similar fashion to a rocket.

I've been talking to creationist too long. I had forgotten what it was like to have someone read what I say and make an rational response.

Actually, I have been badly wrong. Since I didn't apply Newton's Law thoroughly enough.

Let's say the gun was 100% efficient at dispelling the gasses (they're not obviously, but assume).

The gasses ejecting in the reverse direction of the bullet (the bullet itself is like a mini rocket) will contain momentum that perfectly balances out the bullet's head's forward momentum.

Therefore, a perfect gun will have zero recoil, since the gun is just a spectating instrument...

<<< Idiot

God most likely exists:
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 8:26:59 AM
At 2/17/2014 7:45:37 AM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 2/17/2014 6:22:01 AM, chui wrote:

Actually, I have been badly wrong. Since I didn't apply Newton's Law thoroughly enough.

Let's say the gun was 100% efficient at dispelling the gasses (they're not obviously, but assume).

The gasses ejecting in the reverse direction of the bullet (the bullet itself is like a mini rocket) will contain momentum that perfectly balances out the bullet's head's forward momentum.

Therefore, a perfect gun will have zero recoil, since the gun is just a spectating instrument...

<<< Idiot

Because of the cartridge bit of the munition some gases always vent forward so some recoil is inevitable. The recoilless system you have arrived at through good old Newton's laws is like a bazooka or rocket propelled grenade which is basically a rocket in an open tube. While firing this you must take care at where the gases vent to, otherwise your friends can get very upset!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 4:06:09 PM
At 2/17/2014 6:13:57 AM, chui wrote:

The explosive propellant usually contains a source of oxygen which only gives up the oxygen when heated eg thermal decomposition of nitrates so they should be fine in a vacuum.

I stand corrected, A bullet will fire in space, the gun powder has it's own oxidizer. True and factual as the day is long.

Antiphone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2014 12:47:18 AM
At 2/17/2014 6:13:57 AM, chui wrote:

I would not want to be firing explosive charges in the vacuum of space. I would be using a railgun, but Newton's 2nd law is still a bitch, so I would increase my mass to compensate for the reaction.
Pitbull15
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2014 1:02:56 AM
At 2/8/2014 7:01:36 AM, MrVan wrote:

LOL this is exactly why I don't play the new COD games.
zmikecuber and I debate the Modal Ontological Argument

"YOU ARE A TOTAL MORON!!! LOL!!!- invisibledeity

"I have shown incredible restraint in the face of unrelenting stupidity."-Izbo10

"Oh my God, WHO THE HELL CARES?!"-Peter Griffin

"Let me put this in Spanish for you: NO!!"-Jase Robertson