Jump to topic:

Evidence against Evolution

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:06:45 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is an argument that I am constantly seeing. "You people are just blindly following what the scientists tell you to follow while ignoring the evidence against evolution."

this forum is for discussion of the evidence against evolution. Quite frankly I have yet to see any.

This is NOT to discuss the evidence for or against creationism.

This is NOT to discuss the evidence for evolution, ONLY the evidence against evolution.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jonbonbon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:08:42 AM
This looks fun.
The Troll Queen.

I'm also the Troll Goddess of Reason. Sacrifices are appreciated but not necessary.

"I'm a vivacious sex fiend," SolonKR.

Go vote on one of my debates. I'm not that smart, so it'll probably be an easy decision.

Fite me m9

http://www.debate.org...
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:28:41 PM
At 2/10/2014 9:06:45 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
This is an argument that I am constantly seeing. "You people are just blindly following what the scientists tell you to follow while ignoring the evidence against evolution."

this forum is for discussion of the evidence against evolution. Quite frankly I have yet to see any.

This is NOT to discuss the evidence for evolution, ONLY the evidence against evolution.

There isn't any, but here are some hypotheticals:

1. We find the ruins of a human city dating to 65 million years ago.

2. We find the remains of Noah's Ark, and it contains fossils from every time period (that are all the same age).

3. DNA is revealed to be a hallucination caused by flouride in the water (no DNA means no unit for Natural Selection to act on).

4. We invent time travel and find that Genesis was correct all along.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 4:31:15 PM
At 2/10/2014 4:28:41 PM, Jack212 wrote:

There isn't any, but here are some hypotheticals:

1. We find the ruins of a human city dating to 65 million years ago.

2. We find the remains of Noah's Ark, and it contains fossils from every time period (that are all the same age).

3. DNA is revealed to be a hallucination caused by flouride in the water (no DNA means no unit for Natural Selection to act on).

4. We invent time travel and find that Genesis was correct all along.

If any one of these things happen, I will drop any and all belief in evolution.

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 7:43:56 PM
This is a bummer. I was looking forward to a fulfilling discussion on the subject. I am forced to conclude that there is no evidence against evolution, and that those who claim that there is are simply parrots, repeating what they are told.

GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 7:49:47 PM
The Earth's magnetic field is decaying at a rate of 5% every hundred years.(1)

Assuming that this rate has been constant, the strength of the magnetic field would have been sufficient to melt the planet a mere 10,000 years ago! This does not allow Evolution enough time to evolve Humans from Bacteria.

There you go. Have fun!

(1) K.L. McDonald and R.H. Gunst, "An analysis of the earth"s magnetic field from 1835 to 1965," ESSA Technical Report, IER 46-IES 1, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, Washington, 1967.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:29:43 PM
At 2/10/2014 7:49:47 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

Assuming that this rate has been constant, the strength of the magnetic field would have been sufficient to melt the planet a mere 10,000 years ago! This does not allow Evolution enough time to evolve Humans from Bacteria.

There you go. Have fun!

(1) K.L. McDonald and R.H. Gunst, "An analysis of the earth"s magnetic field from 1835 to 1965," ESSA Technical Report, IER 46-IES 1, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, Washington, 1967.

I think you may have the theory wrong. Are you saying if a person gets into a MRI machine which have a magnetic field of over 1 T that they will burn up?

I believe the theory is that the magnetic field did not exist 10,000 years ago which would allow radiation to hit the earth and would not allow anything living to live. Get your anti evolution science straight!

Not to mention pottery that was thousands of years old and contained iron had an alignment that was indicative of a field that was weaker than today, so empirical evidence points to variation in the field not a exponential curve.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2014 9:34:55 PM
At 2/10/2014 9:29:43 PM, slo1 wrote:

There you go. Have fun!

I think you may have the theory wrong.

Nope, that's what the author of Foundations of Electricity and Magnetism predicted.(2)

Not to mention pottery that was thousands of years old and contained iron had an alignment that was indicative of a field that was weaker than today, so empirical evidence points to variation in the field not a exponential curve.

Source please!

(2) T.G. Barnes, Foundations of Electricity and Magnetism, 3rd ed., El Paso, Texas, 1977
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 12:43:29 AM

There you go. Have fun!

I'm running some numbers from this experiment. It appears to have a blatant application error here, but I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 1:55:00 AM

Interesting topic, PBG. I look forward to this discussion.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 4:50:31 AM
At 2/11/2014 4:18:35 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Cambrian Explosion.

Don't just assert, state how it is evidence against evolution or how it violates the theory.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 4:52:23 AM
At 2/11/2014 4:50:31 AM, Sswdwm wrote:
Cambrian Explosion.

Don't just assert, state how it is evidence against evolution or how it violates the theory.

If you understand anything about Darwinian evolution it should be obvious how it violates the theory.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 5:15:18 AM
At 2/11/2014 4:52:23 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Cambrian Explosion.

If you understand anything about Darwinian evolution it should be obvious how it violates the theory.

So you're not going to bother explaining how? Then we can just ignore it...

If the thread's name was 'Evidence against gravity' and you shout 'Aeroplanes', don't expect anybody to listen to you unless you explain how it does so

God most likely exists:
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 5:20:39 AM
At 2/11/2014 5:15:18 AM, Sswdwm wrote:
Cambrian Explosion.

If the thread's name was 'Evidence against gravity' and you shout 'Aeroplanes', don't expect anybody to listen to you unless you explain how it does so

I don't need to explain why the Cambrian Explosion shows Darwinian evolution is wrong for the same reason I don't need to put a "don't stick a fork into this" sign onto every plug that's installed in my house.

If you can't follow along, you're a moron.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 5:22:45 AM
At 2/11/2014 5:20:39 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Cambrian Explosion.

I don't need to explain why the Cambrian Explosion shows Darwinian evolution is wrong for the same reason I don't need to put a "don't stick a fork into this" sign onto every plug that's installed in my house.

So we can just ignore you then? Ok.

God most likely exists:
Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 5:25:31 AM
At 2/11/2014 5:22:45 AM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 2/11/2014 5:20:39 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
Cambrian Explosion.

So we can just ignore you then? Ok.

*sigh*

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_Explosion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/tree_of_life

Read or don't breed.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 5:52:29 AM
At 2/11/2014 5:25:31 AM, Installgentoo wrote:
*sigh*

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambrian_Explosion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/tree_of_life

Read or don't breed.

Ignored, tidy up the attitude please.

God most likely exists:
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 9:26:00 AM
At 2/10/2014 9:34:55 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 2/10/2014 9:29:43 PM, slo1 wrote:

There you go. Have fun!

I think you may have the theory wrong.

Nope, that's what the author of Foundations of Electricity and Magnetism predicted.(2)

Source please!

(2) T.G. Barnes, Foundations of Electricity and Magnetism, 3rd ed., El Paso, Texas, 1977

Dude, no where in the paper does it say that the magnetic field would melt the earth. It is empirical measurements over 150 years, which when extrapolated in an exponential decay rate show that between 6 and 8k years ago the strength would have been in the upper theoretical limits, but make no question the assumption of a steady decay rate based upon 150 years of data is an assumption. The guys model is built upon theoretical happy path and does not consider any other variables.

The other fundamental problem is that this data when being extrapolated to the past has to fit other empirical evidence of magnetic pole reversals. Geologists and most creationists agree with the existence of magnetic pole reversals. Again they disagree on the timing of them. A good geologist says they happen at rather regular intervals every 1/2 million to million years, but admit we don't know enough about the mechanisms of it.

A creationist says that the different layers with pole reversal evidence, about 5 reversals, were all laid down during Noah's flood a matter of years, but have no scientific basis of what may drive a series of rapid pole reversals.

This guy explains how the evidence of a declining field fits into the other creationist hypothosis of the great flood.
http://creation.com...

As far as the pottery showing a weaker field than today? I had wrong was 5 to 6k years ago. Have to look up McElhinny & Senanayake 1982 for the data on being weaker 5 to 6k years ago.

http://adsabs.harvard.edu...
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 10:40:52 AM
Cambrian Explosion.

Au contrair, the Cambrian explosion is one of the strongest proofs in favor of it. Besides, if you are a YEC, you don't believe the Cambrian explosion exists.

chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 11:02:10 AM

There you go. Have fun!

Rocks from the mid-Atlantic ridge show that the earths magnetic field changes polarity about every 450K years. The magnetic field is currently reducing but will increase again but with opposite polarity.

The age of the earth can be accurately found from radiometric dating of rocks. Also we can look at rock stratification and estimate how long it takes to lay down the number of layers seen.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 2:38:39 PM
At 2/11/2014 11:10:47 AM, MysticEgg wrote:
And we have blown away one argument. Next, please.

2-0

It's actually 0-0. InstallGento didn't provide an argument, and I haven't had a chance to respond to rebuttals yet!

I'll get to it when I have a chance, soon.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 2:45:58 PM
*ahem*

If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?
http://www.quickmeme.com...
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 3:32:42 PM
At 2/11/2014 2:38:39 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

2-0

It's actually 0-0. InstallGento didn't provide an argument, and I haven't had a chance to respond to rebuttals yet!

Heeeeey. Very good! You should go for stand up.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 4:13:35 PM
At 2/11/2014 3:32:42 PM, MysticEgg wrote:
At 2/11/2014 2:38:39 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

2-0

Heeeeey. Very good! You should go for stand up.

You're a douche. And maybe it's 1-0, but I'm going to see about that when I have a chance.
theta_pinch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 4:30:16 PM

There you go. Have fun!

I'd like to point out that 150 years is not a long enough time period to extrapolate data over geological timescales(thousands to billions of years.)
Any sufficiently complex phenomenon is indistinguishable from magic--Me

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
Niel deGrasse Tyson
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 4:35:22 PM
At 2/11/2014 4:30:16 PM, theta_pinch wrote:

There you go. Have fun!

I'd like to point out that 150 years is not a long enough time period to extrapolate data over geological timescales(thousands to billions of years.)

In that case, you can't extrapolate the observed data of speciation and mutations to conclude Universal Common Descent.

So, if I were you, I'd retract that statement ;)
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2014 4:39:09 PM
Judging from some of the comments in this thread, we need more emphasis on Science in the school curriculum.