Jump to topic:

Questions about Meganthropus

paul_g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 10:07:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This is a quick question to anyone with knowledge or a scientifically backed opinion about the series of bones that have been found at Sangiran site near Surakarta in Central Java that are usually referred to as Meganthropus or Homo erectus palaeojavanicus.
This is a species I have been interested in for a long time and is one of the harder known species in our Genus to find information on and a lot of it is just debates on whether or not it is a separate distinct species.

Was it really as big as the claims are and what are the theories surrounding its origins?
Also what is your opinion on it?

(Also, no I am not one of those Creationist who use this as proof of the Bible, because I know there have been a lot of them around the topic of Meganthropus,... I am genuinely interested in Human Evolution and have been for many years)
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2014 10:53:34 PM
At 2/12/2014 10:07:58 PM, paul_g wrote:
This is a quick question to anyone with knowledge or a scientifically backed opinion about the series of bones that have been found at Sangiran site near Surakarta in Central Java that are usually referred to as Meganthropus or Homo erectus palaeojavanicus.
This is a species I have been interested in for a long time and is one of the harder known species in our Genus to find information on and a lot of it is just debates on whether or not it is a separate distinct species.

Was it really as big as the claims are and what are the theories surrounding its origins?

(Also, no I am not one of those Creationist who use this as proof of the Bible, because I know there have been a lot of them around the topic of Meganthropus,... I am genuinely interested in Human Evolution and have been for many years)

I don't know anything about it, but what is interesting about this specimen to you?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
paul_g
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 1:09:55 AM
At 2/12/2014 10:53:34 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/12/2014 10:07:58 PM, paul_g wrote:

I don't know anything about it, but what is interesting about this specimen to you?

They are supposedly an extinct species of hominids that's average height was some were between 7 to 9 feet (Some people argue its more like 12 foot but that's pretty ridiculous). Because scientist can't fit them into our current understanding of our past they don't get a lot of focus. Although no one really disputes that they are real the fossils seem to not get a lot of press.