Jump to topic:

Religion and Science

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 8:38:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Does anyone want to debate the nature of the relationship between religion and science with me? I'd like to debate an atheist on this. I firmly believe religion and science can not only co-exist, but also that they can help each other. A lot of the time I see people on this forum say science is bad for religious beliefs, but I don't often see people explain why.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 8:45:26 PM
At 2/14/2014 8:38:39 PM, Installgentoo wrote:
Does anyone want to debate the nature of the relationship between religion and science with me? I'd like to debate an atheist on this. I firmly believe religion and science can not only co-exist, but also that they can help each other. A lot of the time I see people on this forum say science is bad for religious beliefs, but I don't often see people explain why.

I think it's more important for people to accept science than it is to reject religious dogma. Since having a scientifically literate, rational, critical population seems to co-incide with the domestication of the more radical, extreme ends of religion.

As a result, I praise Bill Nye for not attacking religion, or God, itself when he debated Ken Ham, and only attacked the harmful anti-science dogma of Ken Ham's.
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 9:40:51 PM
I understand science better than the athiest, and Jesus better than the Christian. To me, science and religion are in perfect harmony and, far from disagreeing, I can learn much about one by studying the other. I believe the science vs. religion paradigm is limited to short-sighted people who are only interested in bickering with "the other side" much like Democrats and Republicans do.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 10:40:03 PM
At 2/14/2014 9:40:51 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I understand science better than the athiest, and Jesus better than the Christian. To me, science and religion are in perfect harmony and, far from disagreeing, I can learn much about one by studying the other. I believe the science vs. religion paradigm is limited to short-sighted people who are only interested in bickering with "the other side" much like Democrats and Republicans do.

There is some truth in that.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2014 10:42:11 PM
At 2/14/2014 10:40:03 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

*except, how can you understand Jesus better than the Christian if you ARE a Christian? You understand Jesus better than yourself?! j/k
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 4:26:23 AM

When you have people who's view of what should count as science is based on say a literal interpretation of genesis and thus anything that conflicts with that is wrong by default that's a problem.

When you have people who take a dump on occams razor to support prior religious beliefs, that's a problem.

When you have people who don't accept science but rather first determine whether it is compatible with their prior religious belief, that's a problem.

Religion has had to change in the light of science. How has science had to change in the light of religion ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 9:56:39 AM
At 2/14/2014 10:42:11 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 2/14/2014 10:40:03 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

*except, how can you understand Jesus better than the Christian if you ARE a Christian? You understand Jesus better than yourself?! j/k

"Christian" is the only appropriate choice in the list. Jesus is mu thang.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2014 10:26:48 AM
At 2/15/2014 4:26:23 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

When you have people who's view of what should count as science is based on say a literal interpretation of genesis and thus anything that conflicts with that is wrong by default that's a problem.

When you have people who take a dump on occams razor to support prior religious beliefs, that's a problem.

When you have people who don't accept science but rather first determine whether it is compatible with their prior religious belief, that's a problem.

There are bad atheists and scientists as well; I don't point out every one of them and generalize your entire belief system based on their errors. That would be pretty foolish - wouldn't it?

Religion has had to change in the light of science. How has science had to change in the light of religion ?

Don't look at it as "changing" as much as just "enlightening." Both science and religion have experienced their share of paradigm-shifts, just know that there is a right and wrong way to handle both of them and truth in either helps out your entire world-view. While you can't directly use one to learn about the other, you can take your paradigm of each and see if they are consistent, which can give you clues as to whether you are on the right track. For instance, my morality tells me that privilege and responsibility are inextricably linked. This tells me that technology has inherent limits, because the privilege they bring increases our responsibility. Scientifically I see an incredible harmony, because our technology has caused pollution, resource degradation, habitat depletion, etc. Our increased population alone doesn't account for all of the environmental effects.
Beliefs in a nutshell: