Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Anyone here understand quantum mechanics?

MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 11:49:38 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Truly? I might sound cynical, but it's just something I've noticed.

Many people (sometimes correctly, sometimes not) say things like:
1) Evolution tells us...
2) Climate change tells us...
3) This video I have here on YouTube tells us...

Blah, blah, blah.

Now, I'm sure that the Internet can teach you good things - many things - from card tricks to basics of geology and everything in between. However, I am skeptical of philosophers delving into quantum mechanics. It's far too complex for most to understand and videos/documentaries always cherry-pick.

So, for something as complex as quantum mechanics, before people start using it to argue for idealism, can I see your understanding? Parroting is nice, but not useful. I'm not saying people do this out of spite; I'm not saying I dislike people that do. Quite to the contrary, I think people come to DDO to learn and expand their skills set. But my concern is people are seeing a couple of vids from somewhere as something as complex as quantum mechanics and making themselves look like experts on the subject.

With only a couple of exceptions; they're not.

Don't get me wrong, what they say might be accurate and true, but they've got to appreciate their own ignorance and I'm extremely skeptical of those that don't admit this, honestly.

Take InspiringPhilosophy on YouTube, for example. I've had a couple of conversations with him and he's a nice guy. However, he admits for his primary goal being about Christian apologetics. Hmm. OK, but he's spent many-a-video explaining quantum mechanics. Well, isn't that convenient for us?

I may sound cynical - and maybe I am - for which I apologise. Still, my questions, therefore:

1) Do you study QM?
2) If you do, do you study this professionally?
3) If you don't, do you admit your ignorance OR do you contest that you're not?
4) If you contest that you're not, why?

3b) If you don't study professionally, do you gain your knowledge from the Internet?

(I apologise for my ranting and if I sound rude; I don't mean to be.)

Many thanks,
J
Such
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:01:48 PM
At 2/16/2014 11:49:38 AM, MysticEgg wrote:

1) Evolution tells us...

Blah, blah, blah.

Now, I'm sure that the Internet can teach you good things - many things - from card tricks to basics of geology and everything in between. However, I am skeptical of philosophers delving into quantum mechanics. It's far too complex for most to understand and videos/documentaries always cherry-pick.

So, for something as complex as quantum mechanics, before people start using it to argue for idealism, can I see your understanding? Parroting is nice, but not useful. I'm not saying people do this out of spite; I'm not saying I dislike people that do. Quite to the contrary, I think people come to DDO to learn and expand their skills set. But my concern is people are seeing a couple of vids from somewhere as something as complex as quantum mechanics and making themselves look like experts on the subject.

Don't get me wrong, what they say might be accurate and true, but they've got to appreciate their own ignorance and I'm extremely skeptical of those that don't admit this, honestly.

Take InspiringPhilosophy on YouTube, for example. I've had a couple of conversations with him and he's a nice guy. However, he admits for his primary goal being about Christian apologetics. Hmm. OK, but he's spent many-a-video explaining quantum mechanics. Well, isn't that convenient for us?

I may sound cynical - and maybe I am - for which I apologise. Still, my questions, therefore:

1) Do you study QM?

3b) If you don't study professionally, do you gain your knowledge from the Internet?

Many thanks,
J

What are your credentials? o.O
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:06:37 PM
At 2/16/2014 12:01:48 PM, Such wrote:

1) Evolution tells us...

Blah, blah, blah.

1) Do you study QM?

Many thanks,
J

What are your credentials? o.O

Oh no, my friend! I claim total ignorance on this. I'm wondering if anyone can honestly claim anything different.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:22:04 PM

1) Evolution tells us...

Blah, blah, blah.

1) Do you study QM?
I have, not at a particularly advanced level
F*** no!
I have studied it, and I still claim ignorance, seriously.

No, I was taught it at graduate level.

Many thanks,
J
QM I thought could be visualized by imagining everything is standing waves when I first begun on it. But I was wrong, string theory does that, which makes even less sense. QM is something you just have to do the math, make sure your assumptions about the boundary conditions are sound, get your results, and never hope to understand what it means, only that they work.

It's not quite as crazy as I portray, but it makes no intuitive sense, which is the point. It's just a ridiculously good approximation of the truth of reality on the atomic scale. It predicts stuff occurring without a cause, or reterocausally, and that things will violate the laws of logic (they will be 2 states simultaneously for e.g.) unless you break your back to rework your understanding of the laws of logic/interpretation of QM (Schroedinger's cat is a famous example)
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:23:53 PM
At 2/16/2014 12:22:04 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

1) Evolution tells us...

Blah, blah, blah.

1) Do you study QM?
I have, not at a particularly advanced level
F*** no!
I have studied it, and I still claim ignorance, seriously.

No, I was taught it at graduate level.

Many thanks,
J
QM I thought could be visualized by imagining everything is standing waves when I first begun on it. But I was wrong, string theory does that, which makes even less sense. QM is something you just have to do the math, make sure your assumptions about the boundary conditions are sound, get your results, and never hope to understand what it means, only that they work.

It's not quite as crazy as I portray, but it makes no intuitive sense, which is the point. It's just a ridiculously good approximation of the truth of reality on the atomic scale. It predicts stuff occurring without a cause, or reterocausally, and that things will violate the laws of logic (they will be 2 states simultaneously for e.g.) unless you break your back to rework your understanding of the laws of logic/interpretation of QM (Schroedinger's cat is a famous example)

That's a surprisingly good way of putting it.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 12:39:59 PM
That's a surprisingly good way of putting it.

What makes it more annoying is that for systems more complicated than a hydrogen atom, it's impossible to make a perfectly precise prediction. You need to cut corners and make approximations in the math in order to just get an answer you can test.

For every level of additional precision you need to add another power of computational resources to compute. And therefore while it's easy to get precise answers for single electrons, and atoms, for molecules (which is my work), you end up having to sacrifice precision very quickly and the results quickly become incomputable or meaningless.

So yeah, I hate it, but it works =\

God most likely exists:
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 1:19:48 PM
At 2/16/2014 1:15:15 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I am a quantum mechanical engineer.

Cool! In what sort of application?

God most likely exists:
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 1:20:41 PM
At 2/16/2014 1:19:48 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

Time travel, duh.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 1:22:22 PM
I'm also working on a cage in which we can trap God. Kinda like one of those things for mice where you put the cheese in them, then the mouse goes in and gets locked in. He wont be hurt.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 1:23:15 PM
At 2/16/2014 1:20:41 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/16/2014 1:19:48 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

Time travel, duh.

Lol I thought you were joking but it's actually a real thing:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Too bad we can't send information this way

God most likely exists:
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 1:50:51 PM

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com...

Could you verify that? I'm in a picky mood.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:04:03 PM
At 2/16/2014 1:50:51 PM, MysticEgg wrote:

Quantum entanglement, blah, blah, blah. Probability waves. People thinking observation brings things into being, out of their probability waves. Idealism. The universe doesn't know. Spin, otherwise it seems to half make sense (besides the whole "what the f*ck is going on here anyway" bit). Time travel. Profit.
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:05:00 PM
At 2/16/2014 2:04:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Quantum entanglement, blah, blah, blah. Probability waves. People thinking observation brings things into being, out of their probability waves. Idealism. The universe doesn't know. Spin, otherwise it seems to half make sense (besides the whole "what the f*ck is going on here anyway" bit). Time travel. Profit.

Did you just respond with jargon? +1

D
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:05:39 PM
At 2/16/2014 2:05:00 PM, MysticEgg wrote:
At 2/16/2014 2:04:03 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Did you just respond with jargon? +1

D

I think I've just figured it out!
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:09:46 PM
I'm currently working on an experiment in quantum mechanics where I kill everything that could possibly observe anything to see what happens. The results should be interesting, I think.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 2:18:03 PM
Seriously though, the whole spin thing sounds completely retarded to me. Something like a base energy level and the application of additional energy on top of that to make "reality" out of "waves" seems vastly more sensible. Is this really what physicists are thinking; that observation makes the world?
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 7:26:41 PM
At 2/16/2014 2:19:05 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:
I watched a video and it made sense for like 15 minutes, then went full retard lol.

Wait a minute, when do you ever go full retard?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 7:43:42 PM

1) Evolution tells us...

Blah, blah, blah.

1) Do you study QM?

Many thanks,
J

ABSOLUTELY! ..not
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 9:45:42 PM
QM.........Conclusive proof that reality doesn't give a rats a@@ about how you think the world should operate nor cares what you think is or isn't possible.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
DudeStop
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/16/2014 10:11:03 PM

1) Evolution tells us...

Blah, blah, blah.

1) Do you study QM?

Many thanks,
J

I want to study it more now. I can tell you quantum mechanics theories, but I don't understand it most of the time.

Like retro causality...
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 1:54:18 AM
At 2/17/2014 1:45:00 AM, MysticEgg wrote:
Most are being honest; I'm glad. Does anyone know Sargon, RT etc...?

lol
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 2:02:38 AM
At 2/17/2014 1:54:18 AM, AnDoctuir wrote:
At 2/17/2014 1:45:00 AM, MysticEgg wrote:
Most are being honest; I'm glad. Does anyone know Sargon, RT etc...?

lol

?
themohawkninja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/17/2014 6:25:36 PM
99% of physics: "I can tell you with absolute certainty that A is B"

Quantum physics: "I am pretty sure that A is B, but it is entirely possible that A isn't B and is actually C, and it is possible as well that A is actually both B and C at the same time (and/or the same place)."

Seriously, I have yet to learn of a single thing in quantum physics that is as predictable as 2+2=4. Even trying to do that very equation with quantum particles won't always yield 4. That's how quantum computers work (in an overly-generalized sense).
"Morals are simply a limit to man's potential."~Myself

Political correctness is like saying you can't have a steak, because a baby can't eat one ~Unknown