Jump to topic:

Scientificly speaking

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 4:36:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I just want to be sure that I am not anti-science. I did some checking and nearly the entire scientific community agrees that there are two genders. One being male and the other being female. Anything other than that is considered a genetic birth defect such as a hermaphrodite. Science does not count wishing, wanting or dressing like another gender other than the one you were born as to be another gander or third type of gender. Is this scientifically accurate? Please no feelings based input. It is unscientific. And your feelings don't trump science or another persons feelings.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
PiedPiper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 5:02:13 PM
At 2/20/2014 4:36:12 PM, sadolite wrote:
I just want to be sure that I am not anti-science. I did some checking and nearly the entire scientific community agrees that there are two genders. One being male and the other being female. Anything other than that is considered a genetic birth defect such as a hermaphrodite. Science does not count wishing, wanting or dressing like another gender other than the one you were born as to be another gander or third type of gender. Is this scientifically accurate? Please no feelings based input. It is unscientific. And your feelings don't trump science or another persons feelings.

What you're referring to is "sex" not "gender." I know the two are used interchangeably, but in terms of trans* people (which is the issue I think you're referring to here) there is a distinction. Sex is a biological trait (in which case you are correct, there are but the two sexes) while gender is a broader term for a socially constructed role as well as a personal identity for an individual. So a person may be one sex but could identify as either (or neither) gender.

Hope that helps!
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 6:10:10 PM
At 2/20/2014 5:02:13 PM, PiedPiper wrote:

What you're referring to is "sex" not "gender." I know the two are used interchangeably, but in terms of trans* people (which is the issue I think you're referring to here) there is a distinction. Sex is a biological trait (in which case you are correct, there are but the two sexes) while gender is a broader term for a socially constructed role as well as a personal identity for an individual. So a person may be one sex but could identify as either (or neither) gender.

Hope that helps!

Well said. There are multiple factors that affect one's gender. And it's a known factor in determining one's sexuality. Genes and the early-life hormonal balance are the major things that determine one's mental and physical gender (they can both be different, mental gender, genetic gender and physical sex organs). Life isn't black and white like many would like it to be
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
Jack212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 6:46:04 PM

There are three concepts that science considers:

Genetic sex - whether or not you have a Y chromosome, or the SRY gene accidentally swapped to the X chromosome. Determined before conception.

Physical sex - what you actually become, which is influenced by hormones. Determined during pregnancy, or afterwards by sex change.

Gender identity - what your brain says you are. Determined during pregnancy.

(There is one group in the Dominican Republic who are all born girls but transform into boys during puberty, complete with a male gender identity. This is one of the rare exceptions to this model).

The above is as far as science goes. Your gender role and what label you apply to yourself are strictly outside the realm of science, as they are determined by social and not empirical methods.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2014 7:30:29 PM
I am going with Jack 212, Thanks
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%