Jump to topic:

Does The Earth Revolve Around The Sun?

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 8:52:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
I heard that 1 in 4 Americans and 1 in 3 Europeans don't perceive the Earth to revolve around the sun.
I don't believe the statistics but I thought it sounded like a good question to ask here and try to understand other peoples perspectives that don't perceive the Earth to revolve around the sun.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 9:04:17 AM
At 2/25/2014 8:52:29 AM, pozessed wrote:
I heard that 1 in 4 Americans and 1 in 3 Europeans don't perceive the Earth to revolve around the sun.
I don't believe the statistics but I thought it sounded like a good question to ask here and try to understand other peoples perspectives that don't perceive the Earth to revolve around the sun.

The Earth doesn't revolve around the Sun.

They both revolve around their common centre of gravity.

Therefore only 1/4-1/3 have the right answer, although I am sceptical that they know why :-)
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 9:20:38 AM
At 2/25/2014 9:04:17 AM, Sswdwm wrote:

Therefore only 1/4-1/3 have the right answer, although I am sceptical that they know why :-)

Unless you're implying that the sun is not the common center of gravity the Earth adheres to, they are still wrong. If that is what you wish me to infer, I must ask, what if not the sun is to be considered the common center of gravity that the Earth is revolving around?
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 9:30:15 AM
At 2/25/2014 9:20:38 AM, pozessed wrote:

Unless you're implying that the sun is not the common center of gravity the Earth adheres to, they are still wrong. If that is what you wish me to infer, I must ask, what if not the sun is to be considered the common center of gravity that the Earth is revolving around?

Question: Does the Earth revolve around the Sun?
Answer: No

Question: Does the Sun revolve around the Earth?

They both orbit around their barycentre IIRC. In the case of the Earth, the barycentre is actually within the Sun since the Sun is so much larger and the orbit is relatively small, but it doesn't follow the Earth orbits the Sun, it more accurately orbits a point within the Sun which both the Sun and Earth orbit around.

Other planets such as Jupiter and (okay it's no longer a planet but w/e) Pluto have their barycentres outside the Sun itself.

God most likely exists:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 6:43:41 PM
At 2/25/2014 9:30:15 AM, Sswdwm wrote:

They both orbit around their barycentre IIRC. In the case of the Earth, the barycentre is actually within the Sun since the Sun is so much larger and the orbit is relatively small, but it doesn't follow the Earth orbits the Sun, it more accurately orbits a point within the Sun which both the Sun and Earth orbit around.

Other planets such as Jupiter and (okay it's no longer a planet but w/e) Pluto have their barycentres outside the Sun itself.

Now try to computate a space crafts trajectory using this semantics argument.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 6:56:21 PM
At 2/25/2014 6:43:41 PM, sadolite wrote:

Semantics? It's just basic physics.

And sure, although since the relative mass of the spacecraft is much smaller than the relative mass of the earth and the sun, the barycenter is pretty much the centre of the earth/sun/celestial body. So you can safely just make the assumption the centre of the planet is the centre of the orbit. Which is also basic physics.

God most likely exists:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2014 8:02:37 PM
At 2/25/2014 6:56:21 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

And sure, although since the relative mass of the spacecraft is much smaller than the relative mass of the earth and the sun, the barycenter is pretty much the centre of the earth/sun/celestial body. So you can safely just make the assumption the centre of the planet is the centre of the orbit. Which is also basic physics.

Yes yes yes Those will give you precise coordinates to calculate from. Pretty much.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 3:14:39 PM

Nope, it's just semantics.

It's true that the earth revolves around the sun/earth barycenter but the barycenter of the earth/sun mass distribution happens to be located at a point inside the sum, so it is semantically correct to say the earth revolves around the sun. The barycenter constantly moves around but it's always inside the sun and if you average it's location over time, guess what, that average happens to be located at the center of the sun. Any way you look at it,, it's correct to say that the earth revolves around the sun.

That is not just basic physics, it's also basic semantics.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 4:33:30 PM
At 2/26/2014 3:14:39 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

It's true that the earth revolves around the sun/earth barycenter but the barycenter of the earth/sun mass distribution happens to be located at a point inside the sum, so it is semantically correct to say the earth revolves around the sun. The barycenter constantly moves around but it's always inside the sun and if you average it's location over time, guess what, that average happens to be located at the center of the sun. Any way you look at it,, it's correct to say that the earth revolves around the sun.

Actually it doesn't. Since the centre of the sun moves. If you take an 'average sun position' then it's true, they match. But if you take the 'average earth position' it is also exactly at the barycentre, lol.

God most likely exists:
Magic8000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 4:49:35 PM
At 2/26/2014 4:33:30 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

Actually it doesn't. Since the centre of the sun moves. If you take an 'average sun position' then it's true, they match. But if you take the 'average earth position' it is also exactly at the barycentre, lol.

The sun bends spacetime which the earth is affected by......
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

"So Magic8000 believes Einstein was a proctologist who was persuaded by the Government and Hitler to fabricate the Theory of Relativity"- GWL-CPA
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 5:47:06 PM

That made me lol.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
Iredia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 6:17:35 PM

If it orbits a point in the Sun as you state, then it's still correct to say it orbits the Sun: after all, the point in the Sun can be roughly taken to be the Sun.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 6:26:28 PM
At 2/26/2014 6:17:35 PM, Iredia wrote:

If it orbits a point in the Sun as you state, then it's still correct to say it orbits the Sun: after all, the point in the Sun can be roughly taken to be the Sun.

To say it orbits the sun neglects the principle physics. Does Pluto orbit the sun? It's barycentre is not in the Sun. Colloquially it's fair to say that I agree, but not scientifically. Same applies to earth.

God most likely exists:
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 6:38:23 PM

Nope.

If you really want to be so semantically nitpicky, then you are still incorrect, the Earth does not orbit the barycenter. Like the speed of light, the speed at which the associated gravitational interaction occurs is finite, so there is always around an eight minute delay in the system. The Earth is always orbiting where the barycenter was roughly 8 minutes ago.

Because of the complex dynamics of the movement of all the different masses that affect the barycenter (Sun, Earth, Moon, Planets, etc.), the position defining Earth"s orbit moves around in an erratic manner, but at all times that barycenter is located inside the Sun. So no matter how you slice it, according to basic physics and even for the semantically anal retentive, at all times when you define the location of the barycenter, there is an object at that location, the Sun, so it is in fact always the case that the earth is revolving around that object, and hence, the Earth revolves around the Sun.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 7:02:27 PM
At 2/26/2014 6:38:23 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Nope.

If you really want to be so semantically nitpicky, then you are still incorrect, the Earth does not orbit the barycenter. Like the speed of light, the speed at which the associated gravitational interaction occurs is finite, so there is always around an eight minute delay in the system. The Earth is always orbiting where the barycenter was roughly 8 minutes ago.

I loled. It's true.

Because of the complex dynamics of the movement of all the different masses that affect the barycenter (Sun, Earth, Moon, Planets, etc.), the position defining Earth"s orbit moves around in an erratic manner, but at all times that barycenter is located inside the Sun. So no matter how you slice it, according to basic physics and even for the semantically anal retentive, at all times when you define the location of the barycenter, there is an object at that location, the Sun, so it is in fact always the case that the earth is revolving around that object, and hence, the Earth revolves around the Sun.

I never disputed the barycentre is located inside the Sun. I dispute that the Earth revolves around the Sun is an accurate statement. And the one playing semantics here is you, since you are the one trying to equate the barycentre with the Sun itself. And Jupiter & Pluto's barycenter a are not in the Sun, as I already mentioned.

God most likely exists:
Iredia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 7:15:53 PM
At 2/26/2014 6:26:28 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

To say it orbits the sun neglects the principle physics. Does Pluto orbit the sun? It's barycentre is not in the Sun. Colloquially it's fair to say that I agree, but not scientifically. Same applies to earth.

Okay then. Where is Pluto's batyocentre BTW ?
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 7:19:55 PM
At 2/26/2014 7:15:53 PM, Iredia wrote:
At 2/26/2014 6:26:28 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

Okay then. Where is Pluto's batyocentre BTW ?

Just under 1 solar width away from the surface of the sun, between Pluto and the sun. Approximately....

God most likely exists:
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 7:24:58 PM
At 2/26/2014 7:02:27 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

Nope.

I loled. It's true.

I cracked myself up with that one too :)

I never disputed the barycentre is located inside the Sun. I dispute that the Earth revolves around the Sun is an accurate statement. And the one playing semantics here is you, since you are the one trying to equate the barycentre with the Sun itself. And Jupiter & Pluto's barycenter a are not in the Sun, as I already mentioned.

There's a star called the Sun, revolving around that star is a planet called Earth, and that is an accurate statement.

Forget this silliness, there's a guy over in the Philosophy Forum arguing the logic of pedophilia, why don't you go over there and help us all gang tackle him.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 7:33:04 PM
At 2/26/2014 7:24:58 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Nope.

I loled. It's true.

There's a star called the Sun, revolving around that star is a planet called Earth, and that is an accurate statement.

Forget this silliness, there's a guy over in the Philosophy Forum arguing the logic of pedophilia, why don't you go over there and help us all gang tackle him.

Lol, okay, you win.

God most likely exists:
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 7:52:27 PM
At 2/26/2014 7:33:04 PM, Sswdwm wrote:

Nope.

I loled. It's true.

Lol, okay, you win.

Lucky for you.

If you didn't stop, I was going to have to say NEE to you until you appeased me.
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 8:00:58 PM
At 2/26/2014 7:52:27 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Nope.

I loled. It's true.

Lol, okay, you win.

Lucky for you.

If you didn't stop, I was going to have to say NEE to you until you appeased me.

NEE?

God most likely exists:
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 8:13:09 PM
At 2/26/2014 8:00:58 PM, Sswdwm wrote:
At 2/26/2014 7:52:27 PM, Sidewalker wrote:

Nope.

I loled. It's true.

Lol, okay, you win.

Lucky for you.

NEE?

It was a sophisticated literary reference, and I guess it's spelled Ni.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 8:20:00 PM
Lucky for you.

I am wearing a tee shirt right now that says the knights who say Nee but it's spelled Ni on the shirt. Not trying to be a grammarhole, just for future reference.

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2014 8:22:14 PM
At 2/26/2014 8:20:00 PM, sadolite wrote:
Lucky for you.

I am wearing a tee shirt right now that says the knights who say Nee but it's spelled Ni on the shirt. Not trying to be a grammarhole, just for future reference.

Yeah, I caught that when I went and got it for him on Youtube.