Jump to topic:

Global warming?!

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 1:27:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is mankind warming the globe, or are we on a warming cycle that is part of a natural process, or is it not warming at all!? Your thoughts?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 1:53:20 PM
At 2/27/2014 1:27:28 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Is mankind warming the globe, or are we on a warming cycle that is part of a natural process, or is it not warming at all!? Your thoughts?

I'm really undecided. Nobody denies that is happens, and nobody denies that humans contribute to it. I also believe us to be the main cause of it, for the sole reason that I cannot think of anything else which releases that much carbon.

*Climate change deniers meltdown in 3..2..*
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 3:16:26 PM
Should be abundantly clear to anyone with enough brains that we are influencing with our activity the natural global warming (speeding it up, probably, at least a bit).
Sswdwm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 3:17:15 PM

A combination of both as far as I understand. And I don't think there's a whole lot that can be done about it now especially since we have giants such as China and India powering their industrialization. It's a sad story for our grandchildren...
Resolved: the Zombie Apocalypse Will Happen
http://www.debate.org...

The most basic living cell was Intelligently Designed:

God most likely exists:
nummi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 3:30:56 PM
It's a sad story for our grandchildren...
Even sadder that most people are incapable of realizing that they are what matters. And their children, and theirs, etc.
That's money for you - as good as no one cares. All for money, no matter the consequences.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 3:41:35 PM
I agree it seems impossible to believe we have not affected the climate in at least some small way. Why are there people who say things like this?

"There is some correlation, but little evidence, to support a direct causal relationship between CO2 and global temperature through the millennia. The fact that we had both higher temperatures and an ice age at a time when CO2 emissions were 10 times higher than they are today fundamentally contradicts the certainty that human-caused CO2 emissions are the main cause of global warming."
Even if the earth does warm up, Moore claims that it will be to the advantage of humans and other forms of life, as "humans are a tropical species"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 5:49:34 PM

Mabey you should ask the ex co founder of green peace
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 6:24:46 PM
Mankind is warming the globe to some extent, but at least now it's not the dominant factor. CO2 global warming crisis was based upon computer models developed in the models. Predictions based on the models included a continuing strong warming trend, so strong that we would be all but fried by 2010. Al Gore confidently predicted all the antarctic sea ice would be gone by 2014. In fact, there has been no global warming since 1997, and recall the recent story about an antarctic global warming research vessel being trapped in record sea ice.

The 2000 predictions were based on the claim that every significant factor in climate had been identified, so therefore all the warming from about 1980 to 1997 must have been due to greenhouse gases. One error was that period variations in ocean currents like the Pacific Decadal Oscillation had not been identified and accounted for. When unaccounted natural periodic cycles turned the other way, it was enough to completely offset CO2 effects.

Arctic sea ice was cleared out in the 1880s, the late 1930s, and again recently. In each case, antarctic ice increases so that the total sea ice is about constant.

Increased greenhouse gases are very likely causing measurable warming, but clearly the climate models are not good enough to say how much.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2014 8:11:16 PM

The Earth has definitely been warming. This has been confirmed through numerous tests, the most significant of which was satellite monitoring starting in the 1970s, and the Earth is noticeably warmer than it was in 1850.

That being said, mankind has little effect on the climate. All it has done is emit greenhouse gases, which have little correlation to temperature. CO2, methane, and nitrous oxide have absorption spectrum that largely overlap with water vapor's, and thus have little effect on the temperature of the Earth.

The sun is obviously the main factor as it is where all of our thermal energy originates. While raw solar irradiance has a better correlation to temperature than CO2 does, it is still raw, and doesn't have a strong correlation factor. The best measure of the sun is solar cycle length, which has a correlation factor of 0.95 (the highest is 1) with temperature.

I could go much deeper than this, but this summarizes my argument against anthropogenic global warming. But yes, the Earth has definitely warmed over the last 150 years.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2014 9:02:19 AM
At 2/27/2014 3:41:35 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
I agree it seems impossible to believe we have not affected the climate in at least some small way. Why are there people who say things like this?

"There is some correlation, but little evidence, to support a direct causal relationship between CO2 and global temperature through the millennia. The fact that we had both higher temperatures and an ice age at a time when CO2 emissions were 10 times higher than they are today fundamentally contradicts the certainty that human-caused CO2 emissions are the main cause of global warming."
Even if the earth does warm up, Moore claims that it will be to the advantage of humans and other forms of life, as "humans are a tropical species"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

It is hard to tell what this guy is really saying or disputing. I don't think that anyone has postulated that it is impossible to have high levels of CO2 and a cooler temperatures. Right off hand I would surmise that during times of heavy volcanic activity when CO2 and particulates are spewing into the atmosphere. The particulates block the sun and as a result there is less energy hitting the earth, so there is less energy that the CO2 can trap in the atmosphere.

I think we saw that process in motion when we saw brief cooling after the eruption of that Philippine volcano in the 90's.

It is well known science that CO2 and other gases trap heat. How that plays in conjunction with other variables needs to be better uncovered and understood. He admits there is a correlation in the data.

Shouldn't that be enough to start the discussion of what to do if the causation is established?

Shouldn't that be enough to fund more studies to try to better unravel the complexities of predicting global climate?

Is that enough to admit it could at least be a possibility rather than outright denial?