Immortal Jellyfish!

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 8:56:27 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://singularityhub.com...
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
jewelessien
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 9:04:57 AM
At 3/6/2014 8:56:27 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

KILL IT KILL IT BEFORE IT BREEDS AND TAKES OVER THE WORLD AAAAAHHH THEY'RE COMING FOR MEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejbvjblvulahnibfgjrneinhlijlfiepWEI

*PROJECT MEDUSA'S REVENGE HAS LAUNCHED*
Everything is up for questioning. If it won't defend itself, then how do we know it can?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 9:06:06 AM
At 3/6/2014 9:04:57 AM, jewelessien wrote:

KILL IT KILL IT BEFORE IT BREEDS AND TAKES OVER THE WORLD AAAAAHHH THEY'RE COMING FOR MEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeejbvjblvulahnibfgjrneinhlijlfiepWEI

*PROJECT MEDUSA'S REVENGE HAS LAUNCHED*

LMAO!
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

jewelessien
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 9:06:19 AM

Okay, being serious now. That is so cool on so many levels that I think it might have broken the absolute zero barrier.
I fear for the future of that species, though.
Everything is up for questioning. If it won't defend itself, then how do we know it can?
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 9:07:58 AM
At 3/6/2014 9:06:19 AM, jewelessien wrote:

Okay, being serious now. That is so cool on so many levels that I think it might have broken the absolute zero barrier.

Hey, their immortal! What could go wrong?! :P

jewelessien
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 9:12:30 AM
At 3/6/2014 9:07:58 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Just wait for this to hit the tabloids.
"SCIENTISTS DISCOVER KEY TO IMMORTALITY".
Next thing you know, you're walking down the street and everyone is eating jellyfish.
Wait, maybe that's their plan...maybe they quickly morph into stomach cells once we eat them and get integrated with our bodies and travel to our brains and morph into neurons and take over our consciousness...
...NOBODY STEAL MY AWESOME MOVIE IDEA
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 9:18:19 AM
At 3/6/2014 9:12:30 AM, jewelessien wrote:

Next thing you know, you're walking down the street and everyone is eating jellyfish.
Wait, maybe that's their plan...maybe they quickly morph into stomach cells once we eat them and get integrated with our bodies and travel to our brains and morph into neurons and take over our consciousness...

Hahaha! I have to say I never imagined I would see a segue from jellyfish to consciousness.

jewelessien
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 9:27:45 AM
At 3/6/2014 9:18:19 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Hahaha! I have to say I never imagined I would see a segue from jellyfish to consciousness.

Blame this overactive imagination of mine.
Seriously though, I think you've indirectly given me the novel idea that will launch my career :)
And back to the topic...I'm not sure how much Turritopsis can actually do for medicine. Being able to transdifferentiate from one cell to another is not particularly "turning back the hands of time". Beyond that, jellyfish are extremely simple organisms and go through an entirely different growth cycle than mammals.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 9:33:26 AM
At 3/6/2014 9:27:45 AM, jewelessien wrote:
At 3/6/2014 9:18:19 AM, Skepticalone wrote:

Blame this overactive imagination of mine.
Seriously though, I think you've indirectly given me the novel idea that will launch my career :)
And back to the topic...I'm not sure how much Turritopsis can actually do for medicine. Being able to transdifferentiate from one cell to another is not particularly "turning back the hands of time". Beyond that, jellyfish are extremely simple organisms and go through an entirely different growth cycle than mammals.

Yea, when you have a best seller, just remember all the 'little' people who made it possible. :)

I have to say I agree. I am not sure how this ability in this jellyfish could be translated to humans.

AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:35:24 PM

Fascinating post. This fact has actually appeared on the show QI before, immediately followed by another fact detailing an occurrence like what you've just described here, that being that people used to inject themselves with monkey testicles in a bid to achieve immortality.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2014 4:49:18 PM
At 3/6/2014 4:35:24 PM, AnDoctuir wrote:

Fascinating post. This fact has actually appeared on the show QI before, immediately followed by another fact detailing an occurrence like what you've just described here, that being that people used to inject themselves with monkey testicles in a bid to achieve immortality.

Young, dumb, and full of ...jellyfish!