Jump to topic:

The Future Uses Of Drones

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 7:49:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Obviously drones are used in military and law enforcing powers. Now there is promises of Amazon using drones to deliver packages. Netflix, though mocking Amazon, probably sees the advantages of drone delivered movies in the ad it released recently.
I heard some people say they are interested in creating drones for photography or extreme sport video recordings. I heard another person say he'd like to have a drone just so he didn't need to carry things in his pockets.

What are your ideas on practical uses of drones for personal and commercial use?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2014 10:27:51 PM
Photography drones are now available off-the-shelf. The midrange products are around $1200 and are being used by real estate agents as well as hobbiests. http://www.nytimes.com... There are cheaper ones down to about $500.

They use a smartphone as a controller. That cuts the cost of the drone itself. They use wi-fi for transmissions. One of the limitations is the relatively short flight time, 20 minutes or less. These are battery powered. There are hefty larger drone with gas engines, but that gets to $15K+. Good for some commercial things, but not many hobbiests.

There is hobby of dogfighting with drones.

I read of one family that programmed a drone to watch their small children walk to school.

I'm thinking that drones will soon be used instead of police car chases. The drone could just follow the car with the escaping criminal, taking pictures through the windshield of the crook. If the crook breaks and runs, the drone could just hover above him. With GPS coordinates continually sent to HQ, the police could catch up without a wild car chase. I suppose a drone could slowly spray something on the windshield to gradually fade out the view so the driver would be inclined to stop. The drone could blow out the tires, but I doubt anyone would trust it with a gun. Maybe it could drop a stop-strip in front of the car.

There are other police applications. Drones could deliver tear gas or pepper spray to a criminal holding up in a building.

Maybe drones could be used to control pest animals. South Florida has 10,000 boa constrictors they'd like to get rid of. Many places have problems with wild boars. Animals usually stay hidden, so I don't know if a drone could find them efficiently. There is new technology of sensors that can detect and classify odors. Maybe a drone could cruise around and sniff them out.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/14/2014 8:04:09 AM
At 3/12/2014 7:49:05 PM, pozessed wrote:
Obviously drones are used in military and law enforcing powers. Now there is promises of Amazon using drones to deliver packages. Netflix, though mocking Amazon, probably sees the advantages of drone delivered movies in the ad it released recently.
I heard some people say they are interested in creating drones for photography or extreme sport video recordings. I heard another person say he'd like to have a drone just so he didn't need to carry things in his pockets.

What are your ideas on practical uses of drones for personal and commercial use?

The possibilities are endless; pretty much anything you use a manned helicopter for will be more effectively and more extensively accomplished by drones. Any situation where somebody needs to travel to a location to inspect or assess it will be enhanced. Any time a person needs to go take a look at something outdoors, you will be able to eliminate the need for a person to do it, you can deliver a camera to a site much cheaper, faster and safer than sending a person, as well as to places and situations where a person can't go.

They will have great benefit for first responders to provide situational awareness, looking at a fire or ongoing crime scene to allow a safer and more thorough response for instance, search and rescue operations, disaster relief, riot control, monitoring crowds and traffic, assess accidents, find marijuana crops, etc. Utility companies, municipalities, and others can use them for damage assessment after a storm to determine the optimal manner to dispatch repair crews. News organizations will probably be the earliest commercial adopters as soon as the FAA gets out of the way. Telecommunications will save hundreds of million if not billions with applications like site acquisition (finding suitable sites for towers), damage assessment for dispatching repair crews, and site audits (going to a tower site to collect information, determine line of sight, etc.). They"ll be used for inspecting pipelines, oil rigs, environmental monitoring for things like soil erosion, agriculture applications like crop dusting and determining growth rates, identifying disease, etc. Pretty much any kind of survey or investigation will be cheaper, quicker, and better by adding the dimension of an aerial point of view. In Real Estate, taking pictures and videos is big business, TV and movies get an enhanced aerial point of view, almost any type of environmental research is enhanced, anybody collecting data on environment, wildlife, pretty much anything outdoors will be enhanced, quicker, and cheaper.

There are also huge dangers, almost all of the positive benefits will become negative if they are used by criminals or terrorists, imagine what a terrorist can do with such ability to deliver bombs, poisons, or biological weapons anywhere, any time. There just won"t be any way to protect large crowds in that situation, sporting events, concerts, Superbowls, Olympics, all become vulnerable.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
HunterK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2014 5:43:42 PM
Drones are not something that I would like companies, or really anybody to start using in massive quantities. I don't want them to be used for privacy issues. Anybody can attach a camera on one of those to spy on others. Another reason to not use drones is because they could malfunction and drop out of the sky and hit something or someone. Even though it is unlikely, if it happened then they would probably remove them right after the first incident. Another thing is that they could fly in strong winds or rain. That eliminates a lot of days to be flying them around. Mass quantities of these drones seem much more costly than a mail man if you asked me.