Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

For Those Of You Who...

bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-
Iredia
Posts: 1,608
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2014 9:40:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
While it is very possible (I know from experience how floods work), I still don't see a reason to believe in a global flood.
Porn babes be distracting me. Dudes be stealing me stuff. I'm all about the cash from now. I'm not playing Jesus anymore.
Subutai
Posts: 3,165
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 2:17:30 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

The total volume of water on Earth is about 1.4 billion cubic kilometers

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 r3 where r=radius

Radius of Earth = 6,378.15 Kilometers

Height of Mt. Everest = 8.85 Kilometers

The volume of water needed to cover Earth to the height of Mt. Everest is approximately the difference in volume of a sphere needed to encompass Mt. Everest and the volume of a sphere the size of the Earth.

Volume of a sphere encompassing the Earth at sea level
= 4/3 (6,378.15 KM)3 = 1,086,825,918,019 KM3

Volume of a sphere encompassing Mt. Everest
= 4/3 (6,378.15 + 8.85 KM)3 = 1,091,388,460,971 KM3

The Difference = 4,530,488,766 KM3

Notice that this is more than 3 times the amount of water presently on Earth.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 3:49:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 2:17:30 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

The total volume of water on Earth is about 1.4 billion cubic kilometers

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 r3 where r=radius

Radius of Earth = 6,378.15 Kilometers

Height of Mt. Everest = 8.85 Kilometers

The volume of water needed to cover Earth to the height of Mt. Everest is approximately the difference in volume of a sphere needed to encompass Mt. Everest and the volume of a sphere the size of the Earth.

Volume of a sphere encompassing the Earth at sea level
= 4/3 (6,378.15 KM)3 = 1,086,825,918,019 KM3

Volume of a sphere encompassing Mt. Everest
= 4/3 (6,378.15 + 8.85 KM)3 = 1,091,388,460,971 KM3

The Difference = 4,530,488,766 KM3

Notice that this is more than 3 times the amount of water presently on Earth.

Aw, but did Mount Everest exist back then?
Subutai
Posts: 3,165
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:05:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 3:49:13 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 3/16/2014 2:17:30 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

The total volume of water on Earth is about 1.4 billion cubic kilometers

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 r3 where r=radius

Radius of Earth = 6,378.15 Kilometers

Height of Mt. Everest = 8.85 Kilometers

The volume of water needed to cover Earth to the height of Mt. Everest is approximately the difference in volume of a sphere needed to encompass Mt. Everest and the volume of a sphere the size of the Earth.

Volume of a sphere encompassing the Earth at sea level
= 4/3 (6,378.15 KM)3 = 1,086,825,918,019 KM3

Volume of a sphere encompassing Mt. Everest
= 4/3 (6,378.15 + 8.85 KM)3 = 1,091,388,460,971 KM3

The Difference = 4,530,488,766 KM3

Notice that this is more than 3 times the amount of water presently on Earth.

Aw, but did Mount Everest exist back then?

"The Himalayas and Mount Everest are young geologically speaking. They began forming over 65 million years ago when two of the earth's great crustal plates-the Eurasian plate and the Indo-Australian plate-collided.": http://climbing.about.com...

Extrapolate that to around 4500 years ago (when, according to a literal interpretation of the Bible, the Great Flood happened), and Mt. Everest was still around 29000 above sea level, making the premise behind my argument valid.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Cooldudebro
Posts: 383
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:22:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

Please dear god Noah's ark never happened.
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:22:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 4:05:13 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/16/2014 3:49:13 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 3/16/2014 2:17:30 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

The total volume of water on Earth is about 1.4 billion cubic kilometers

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 r3 where r=radius

Radius of Earth = 6,378.15 Kilometers

Height of Mt. Everest = 8.85 Kilometers

The volume of water needed to cover Earth to the height of Mt. Everest is approximately the difference in volume of a sphere needed to encompass Mt. Everest and the volume of a sphere the size of the Earth.

Volume of a sphere encompassing the Earth at sea level
= 4/3 (6,378.15 KM)3 = 1,086,825,918,019 KM3

Volume of a sphere encompassing Mt. Everest
= 4/3 (6,378.15 + 8.85 KM)3 = 1,091,388,460,971 KM3

The Difference = 4,530,488,766 KM3

Notice that this is more than 3 times the amount of water presently on Earth.

Aw, but did Mount Everest exist back then?

"The Himalayas and Mount Everest are young geologically speaking. They began forming over 65 million years ago when two of the earth's great crustal plates-the Eurasian plate and the Indo-Australian plate-collided.": http://climbing.about.com...

Extrapolate that to around 4500 years ago (when, according to a literal interpretation of the Bible, the Great Flood happened), and Mt. Everest was still around 29000 above sea level, making the premise behind my argument valid.

Mt. Everest itself has clam fossils at its summit.
Proof:
http://answerit.news24.com...
http://practicalapologetics.blogspot.com...
http://www.icr.org...

If you still don't believe me, look it up for yourself. Clearly the land that is today Mount Everest was once covered by water. However, it wasn't as high as it is today, if it was a mountain at all.
http://www.christiananswers.net...
According to this link, Mount Everest was at sea level 59,000 years ago, because the mountain is actually growing by about 6 inches every year, I think.
Now, many Creationists say that Mount Everest as it is today was formed by the Flood. I don't know precisely how they suggest it happened, but if they're right, then Mount Everest would not be a problem.
Also, if the Earth was completely flat (with no hills or mountains) there'd be enough water to cover the Earth.
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:24:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 4:05:13 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/16/2014 3:49:13 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 3/16/2014 2:17:30 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

The total volume of water on Earth is about 1.4 billion cubic kilometers

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 r3 where r=radius

Radius of Earth = 6,378.15 Kilometers

Height of Mt. Everest = 8.85 Kilometers

The volume of water needed to cover Earth to the height of Mt. Everest is approximately the difference in volume of a sphere needed to encompass Mt. Everest and the volume of a sphere the size of the Earth.

Volume of a sphere encompassing the Earth at sea level
= 4/3 (6,378.15 KM)3 = 1,086,825,918,019 KM3

Volume of a sphere encompassing Mt. Everest
= 4/3 (6,378.15 + 8.85 KM)3 = 1,091,388,460,971 KM3

The Difference = 4,530,488,766 KM3

Notice that this is more than 3 times the amount of water presently on Earth.

Aw, but did Mount Everest exist back then?

"The Himalayas and Mount Everest are young geologically speaking. They began forming over 65 million years ago when two of the earth's great crustal plates-the Eurasian plate and the Indo-Australian plate-collided.": http://climbing.about.com...

Extrapolate that to around 4500 years ago (when, according to a literal interpretation of the Bible, the Great Flood happened), and Mt. Everest was still around 29000 above sea level, making the premise behind my argument valid.

This is the stupidest debate ever. Lets assume god exists. He could make a global flood happen, as.....

1. He has infinite powers

2. He has infinite wisdom.

So, that is where Bubba should be sourcing his arguments.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Skikx
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:28:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

First, since we're talking about science, it seems more like a hypothesis to me, than a theory.

Anyway, there may be as much water 300 miles below the earth's surface, as there is on top of it.
But unless you also got a hypothesis on how all this water rushed to the surface in a matter of days and then 40 days later flushed back into earth again just as fast, as well as for all the other ridiculous claims, the story is still not anymore plausible.
Jifpop09
Posts: 2,243
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 4:32:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 4:28:02 PM, Skikx wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-


First, since we're talking about science, it seems more like a hypothesis to me, than a theory.

Anyway, there may be as much water 300 miles below the earth's surface, as there is on top of it.
But unless you also got a hypothesis on how all this water rushed to the surface in a matter of days and then 40 days later flushed back into earth again just as fast, as well as for all the other ridiculous claims, the story is still not anymore plausible.

I will repeat my argument. If anyone could do it, it would be god because...

1. Infinite powers.

2. Infinite Wisdom

But trust me, I believe there is some corruption on the Jewish side of the bible.
Leader of the DDO Revolution Party
Subutai
Posts: 3,165
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2014 5:16:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 4:22:28 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 3/16/2014 4:05:13 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/16/2014 3:49:13 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 3/16/2014 2:17:30 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

The total volume of water on Earth is about 1.4 billion cubic kilometers

Volume of a sphere = 4/3 r3 where r=radius

Radius of Earth = 6,378.15 Kilometers

Height of Mt. Everest = 8.85 Kilometers

The volume of water needed to cover Earth to the height of Mt. Everest is approximately the difference in volume of a sphere needed to encompass Mt. Everest and the volume of a sphere the size of the Earth.

Volume of a sphere encompassing the Earth at sea level
= 4/3 (6,378.15 KM)3 = 1,086,825,918,019 KM3

Volume of a sphere encompassing Mt. Everest
= 4/3 (6,378.15 + 8.85 KM)3 = 1,091,388,460,971 KM3

The Difference = 4,530,488,766 KM3

Notice that this is more than 3 times the amount of water presently on Earth.

Aw, but did Mount Everest exist back then?

"The Himalayas and Mount Everest are young geologically speaking. They began forming over 65 million years ago when two of the earth's great crustal plates-the Eurasian plate and the Indo-Australian plate-collided.": http://climbing.about.com...

Extrapolate that to around 4500 years ago (when, according to a literal interpretation of the Bible, the Great Flood happened), and Mt. Everest was still around 29000 above sea level, making the premise behind my argument valid.

Mt. Everest itself has clam fossils at its summit.
Proof:
http://answerit.news24.com...
http://practicalapologetics.blogspot.com...
http://www.icr.org...

If you still don't believe me, look it up for yourself. Clearly the land that is today Mount Everest was once covered by water. However, it wasn't as high as it is today, if it was a mountain at all.
http://www.christiananswers.net...
According to this link, Mount Everest was at sea level 59,000 years ago, because the mountain is actually growing by about 6 inches every year, I think.
Now, many Creationists say that Mount Everest as it is today was formed by the Flood. I don't know precisely how they suggest it happened, but if they're right, then Mount Everest would not be a problem.
Also, if the Earth was completely flat (with no hills or mountains) there'd be enough water to cover the Earth.

While yes, there are clams on Mount Everest, and while yes, Mount Everest was once underwater, the timeline does not correspond at all to Noah's flood.

"The top of Mount Everest is composed of fossil-bearing marine limestone (Mount Qomolangma Formation, the ancient seafloor of the Paleozoic Tethys Ocean) that is believed to be lower to middle Ordovician in age.": http://www.montana.edu...

"The Ordovician is a geologic period and system, the second of six of the Paleozoic Era, and covers the time between 485.4 +/- 1.9 to 443.4 +/- 1.5 million years ago.": http://en.wikipedia.org...

In other words, your timeline is off by about 445 million years.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 7:57:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

Now all you have to do is:

1.) Figure out how all that water magically turned into rain to fall (the story says it came in the form of rain)

2.) Figure out how all that water magically got forced back under the surface of the Earth where it would stay hidden for the next 4000 years.

3.) If it rained for 40 days and nights enough to drop 1.4 billion km of water this means that the average rainfall per day was about 1000ft per day. How did a boat stay afloat while taking on a 1000ft per day of water? Modern boats with advanced pumping systems would sink in such conditions. The boat would fill up with water, all the animals would drown, and the boat would sink.

4.) How did all the animals magically get from their geographically isolated habitats to Noah and then back again after the flood. Did kangaroos hop to Noah from Australia? Did polar bears swim from the arctic?

And on and on...

There is no point in trying to apply science or logic to the story. You can't begin to scratch the surface of answering all the issues with such an extravagant tale of mythology.
Skikx
Posts: 132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2014 11:12:36 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/16/2014 4:32:41 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/16/2014 4:28:02 PM, Skikx wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-


First, since we're talking about science, it seems more like a hypothesis to me, than a theory.

Anyway, there may be as much water 300 miles below the earth's surface, as there is on top of it.
But unless you also got a hypothesis on how all this water rushed to the surface in a matter of days and then 40 days later flushed back into earth again just as fast, as well as for all the other ridiculous claims, the story is still not anymore plausible.

I will repeat my argument. If anyone could do it, it would be god because...

1. Infinite powers.

2. Infinite Wisdom

But trust me, I believe there is some corruption on the Jewish side of the bible.

But wasn't the idea of this thread to scientifically proof that the genesis flood happened and thus proof that god exists?
I was just stating that this one hypothesis is far from being sufficient proof.

On the other hand, if one says "god did it", why bother with science, reason and logic at all?
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Posts: 720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2014 11:15:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

So if you actually read the abstract to the article you would know it was talking about a hydrous zone, that could consist of 2.5 wt% water (in fact the authors say its probably 1 wt%). This water is included in other minerals and not freely flowing water like you expect. As such your claim is a misrepresentation of the science. This water cannot magically flood the earth as it is inclusive in minerals.

So, maybe you should read before you say something that makes no sense.
Installgentoo
Posts: 1,420
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 8:33:24 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 11:12:36 AM, Skikx wrote:
At 3/16/2014 4:32:41 PM, Jifpop09 wrote:
At 3/16/2014 4:28:02 PM, Skikx wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-


First, since we're talking about science, it seems more like a hypothesis to me, than a theory.

Anyway, there may be as much water 300 miles below the earth's surface, as there is on top of it.
But unless you also got a hypothesis on how all this water rushed to the surface in a matter of days and then 40 days later flushed back into earth again just as fast, as well as for all the other ridiculous claims, the story is still not anymore plausible.

I will repeat my argument. If anyone could do it, it would be god because...

1. Infinite powers.

2. Infinite Wisdom

But trust me, I believe there is some corruption on the Jewish side of the bible.

But wasn't the idea of this thread to scientifically proof that the genesis flood happened and thus proof that god exists?
I was just stating that this one hypothesis is far from being sufficient proof.

On the other hand, if one says "god did it", why bother with science, reason and logic at all?

I dunno, maybe you should ask the monk who invented the scientific method.
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 12:13:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/17/2014 7:57:17 AM, Floid wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

Now all you have to do is:

1.) Figure out how all that water magically turned into rain to fall (the story says it came in the form of rain)

2.) Figure out how all that water magically got forced back under the surface of the Earth where it would stay hidden for the next 4000 years.

3.) If it rained for 40 days and nights enough to drop 1.4 billion km of water this means that the average rainfall per day was about 1000ft per day. How did a boat stay afloat while taking on a 1000ft per day of water? Modern boats with advanced pumping systems would sink in such conditions. The boat would fill up with water, all the animals would drown, and the boat would sink.

4.) How did all the animals magically get from their geographically isolated habitats to Noah and then back again after the flood. Did kangaroos hop to Noah from Australia? Did polar bears swim from the arctic?

And on and on...

There is no point in trying to apply science or logic to the story. You can't begin to scratch the surface of answering all the issues with such an extravagant tale of mythology.

To add to the rainfall point, the highest instantaneous rainfall amount ever recorded was 90 inches per hour over a period of 1 minute, resulting in 1.5 inches of rain. It would have to rain at a rate three times this constantly in order to get enough rain. You would have to literally pump the water down from the clouds, and it would essentially come in the form of a sheet of water.

In addition, wouldn't this cause problems with the atmosphere? And wouldn't radiation become a problem above 40,000 feet? I hope they remembered to line the ark in lead.
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian
bubbatheclown
Posts: 1,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 2:48:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/21/2014 12:13:27 PM, drhead wrote:
At 3/17/2014 7:57:17 AM, Floid wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

Now all you have to do is:

1.) Figure out how all that water magically turned into rain to fall (the story says it came in the form of rain)

2.) Figure out how all that water magically got forced back under the surface of the Earth where it would stay hidden for the next 4000 years.

3.) If it rained for 40 days and nights enough to drop 1.4 billion km of water this means that the average rainfall per day was about 1000ft per day. How did a boat stay afloat while taking on a 1000ft per day of water? Modern boats with advanced pumping systems would sink in such conditions. The boat would fill up with water, all the animals would drown, and the boat would sink.

4.) How did all the animals magically get from their geographically isolated habitats to Noah and then back again after the flood. Did kangaroos hop to Noah from Australia? Did polar bears swim from the arctic?

And on and on...

There is no point in trying to apply science or logic to the story. You can't begin to scratch the surface of answering all the issues with such an extravagant tale of mythology.

To add to the rainfall point, the highest instantaneous rainfall amount ever recorded was 90 inches per hour over a period of 1 minute, resulting in 1.5 inches of rain. It would have to rain at a rate three times this constantly in order to get enough rain. You would have to literally pump the water down from the clouds, and it would essentially come in the form of a sheet of water.

In addition, wouldn't this cause problems with the atmosphere? And wouldn't radiation become a problem above 40,000 feet? I hope they remembered to line the ark in lead.

God could've protected the Ark from the radiation, or perhaps there was something different about the Earth back then so that the radiation didn't exist or there was less of it.
As for the water, water comes from the ground too. And:
1. It's possible that Mount Everest did not exist back then, or at least it was way shorter than it is now.
2. The Earth might've been flatter so that the floodwater would've had no problem flooding everything.

Anyhow, I do not feel like arguing Noah's Flood with an atheist.
drhead
Posts: 1,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2014 4:13:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 3/21/2014 2:48:02 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
At 3/21/2014 12:13:27 PM, drhead wrote:
At 3/17/2014 7:57:17 AM, Floid wrote:
At 3/15/2014 8:30:32 PM, bubbatheclown wrote:
For those of you who think there's not enough water to flood the whole Earth, take a look at this:

http://news.yahoo.com...

Of course, currently it's just a theory, but I think that this theory will eventually be proven right.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened."
-Genesis 7:11-

Now all you have to do is:

1.) Figure out how all that water magically turned into rain to fall (the story says it came in the form of rain)

2.) Figure out how all that water magically got forced back under the surface of the Earth where it would stay hidden for the next 4000 years.

3.) If it rained for 40 days and nights enough to drop 1.4 billion km of water this means that the average rainfall per day was about 1000ft per day. How did a boat stay afloat while taking on a 1000ft per day of water? Modern boats with advanced pumping systems would sink in such conditions. The boat would fill up with water, all the animals would drown, and the boat would sink.

4.) How did all the animals magically get from their geographically isolated habitats to Noah and then back again after the flood. Did kangaroos hop to Noah from Australia? Did polar bears swim from the arctic?

And on and on...

There is no point in trying to apply science or logic to the story. You can't begin to scratch the surface of answering all the issues with such an extravagant tale of mythology.

To add to the rainfall point, the highest instantaneous rainfall amount ever recorded was 90 inches per hour over a period of 1 minute, resulting in 1.5 inches of rain. It would have to rain at a rate three times this constantly in order to get enough rain. You would have to literally pump the water down from the clouds, and it would essentially come in the form of a sheet of water.

In addition, wouldn't this cause problems with the atmosphere? And wouldn't radiation become a problem above 40,000 feet? I hope they remembered to line the ark in lead.

God could've protected the Ark from the radiation, or perhaps there was something different about the Earth back then so that the radiation didn't exist or there was less of it.
As for the water, water comes from the ground too. And:
1. It's possible that Mount Everest did not exist back then, or at least it was way shorter than it is now.
2. The Earth might've been flatter so that the floodwater would've had no problem flooding everything.

Anyhow, I do not feel like arguing Noah's Flood with an atheist.

If you're assuming the existence of an entity that can essentially do whatever the hell it wants with the world on a whim, then what meaningful implications of such intervention would exist that would make this worthy of debate?
Wall of Fail

"You reject religion... calling it a sickness, to what ends??? Are you a Homosexual??" - Dogknox
"For me, Evolution is a zombie theory. I mean imaginary cartoons and wishful thinking support it?" - Dragonfang
"There are no mental health benefits of atheism. It is devoid of rational thinking and mental protection." - Gabrian