Jump to topic:

Handedness

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 1:58:26 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
1. Is there really any difference between lefties, righties and ambies?

2. What are they and why?

3. If there is a difference, who are some people from history who are good representatives of their handedness?

4. Does handedness have any ties to certain mental conditions or preferences?

I heard that homosexuals are overwhelmingly left-handed. That ambidextarians make up most of the bisexual community as well as being prone to psychotic personalities. And that both lefties and ambies generally have higher IQs than righties. I would like sources to back up any claim made for or against these things and for the other questions.

5. What percentage do each make up in the general population?

I hear 12-16% are lefty or amby.

5. What is your handedness?

I'm an amby.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 2:27:32 AM
And yeah, some evidence of a reversal in normal functions for left/right handedness. There's some research on music ability, though I'd have to dig for that. The behavioural model puts handedness at an infant stage. Normally using the right hand as an infant will elicit a basic pleasure response in the brain, which has some evidence of being reversed in left handers.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 2:54:42 AM
At 1/29/2010 1:58:26 AM, FREEDO wrote:

3. If there is a difference, who are some people from history who are good representatives of their handedness?

I heard that homosexuals are overwhelmingly left-handed. That ambidextarians make up most of the bisexual community as well as being prone to psychotic personalities. And that both lefties and ambies generally have higher IQs than righties. I would like sources to back up any claim made for or against these things and for the other questions.

I'm an amby.

You are ambidextrous? You are so lucky. I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 3:11:39 AM
At 1/29/2010 2:54:42 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

You are ambidextrous? You are so lucky. I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

LOL
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 3:17:25 AM

I'm an amby.

*groan*
The Cross.. the Cross.
heyarnold
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 7:45:39 AM
At 1/29/2010 3:17:25 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
All humor is the work of the devil

wait wat?
Hitler was a gay prostitute, he was a basterd from a jewish boy who had a relationship with the cleaning lady ..! The boy was from the rothchild family ...!
As a homeless prostitute hitler was not able to grow up anything other then a retard..!
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 5:37:36 PM
You won't believe this unless you watch it with someone else at the same time and argue that she's spinning in opposite directions. For me, sometimes she spins clockwise and sometimes she spins counterclockwise.

There's a study on brain lateralization that I was about to look up and post on here, but I've got to go! Be back later.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 7:07:31 PM
At 2/1/2010 5:37:36 PM, TulleKrazy wrote:
You won't believe this unless you watch it with someone else at the same time and argue that she's spinning in opposite directions. For me, sometimes she spins clockwise and sometimes she spins counterclockwise.

There's a study on brain lateralization that I was about to look up and post on here, but I've got to go! Be back later.

Eh that's about hemisphere dominance, which is a bit different from handedness. :)
bkelley211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 9:50:07 PM

I need to see this with someone else b/c this so clearly is clockwise.

Freedo, how amby are you? Can you play sports with either hand? Brush your teeth? Write? Bowl? Shoot pool?

There are several athletes who were taught to play their sport with their offhand. Rafael Nadal plays tennis lefty but does everything else righty.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 10:33:51 PM
At 2/1/2010 9:50:07 PM, bkelley211 wrote:

I need to see this with someone else b/c this so clearly is clockwise.

Freedo, how amby are you? Can you play sports with either hand? Brush your teeth? Write? Bowl? Shoot pool?

There are several athletes who were taught to play their sport with their offhand. Rafael Nadal plays tennis lefty but does everything else righty.

I can do all those things with both hands and I can change the way that thing is going with my mind.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 10:36:15 PM
In fact I can make it wobble back and forth between clockwise and counterclockwise pretty rapidly.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 10:46:42 PM
One way you can train yourself to be able to switch back and forth between clockwise and clockwise is to skip around in the video enough until you see a switch. Then, study what you are perceiving very closely. Then, jump around in the video some more until it switches in your mind again. Then, study some more. Then, jump around. Et cetera.

Now that I've done this a couple times, I can force my mind to switch by looking at different places at the figurine and concentrating on them.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2010 10:49:40 PM
I didn't have to skip around. All you have to do is imagine to foot is in front when you see it in back or vise versa and it switches.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bkelley211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 9:34:51 AM
This is pretty cool. It helped me to get REALLY close to it. Then I could switch fairly quickly. Getting close helped me switch the feet. If foot on ground was left, then clockwise. If right, counter.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 8:42:35 PM
I can confirm that most lefties I know happen to be gay... so there does seem to be a link, though I have no scientific proof. I know they say you can tell whether or not a fetus is right or left handed by noticing which one they keep by their mouth while in the womb. I thought that one could choose whether they were right or left handed in childhood - basically whatever hand they used more often (I thought they could learn either way), however, apparently it's genetic or related to hormones according to some theories. I also heard that the theory left handed people are more artistic is a myth.
President of DDO
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2010 11:47:15 PM
At 2/2/2010 8:42:35 PM, theLwerd wrote:
I can confirm that most lefties I know happen to be gay

See, if Catholic run schools still enforced the 'only use the right hand' rule we would have none of this rampant gayness in society.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 6:20:30 PM
At 2/1/2010 7:07:31 PM, Puck wrote:

Eh that's about hemisphere dominance, which is a bit different from handedness. :)

I can only see it going counter clockwise. I can't see it going clockwise at all.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 6:27:30 PM
I'm gay and right handed - and I don't know any left handed gay people so *shrugs* Most of the left handed individuals I know also have horrid handwritting lol

The lady spins counter clockwise for me when I'm just watching it naturally, but of course, from my cognitive psych classes, I know the trick to switching her the other way :)
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 6:29:14 PM
At 2/5/2010 6:27:30 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
The lady spins counter clockwise for me when I'm just watching it naturally, but of course, from my cognitive psych classes, I know the trick to switching her the other way :)

I can't get her to do that. What do I have to do?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 6:43:42 PM
At 2/5/2010 6:29:14 PM, wjmelements wrote:

I can't get her to do that. What do I have to do?

Just imagine it going the other direction. Watch the right side (if you are seeing it go counter) and imagine it spinning the other direction when it comes around.

The image is actually a two dimensional move - it is shifting back and forth - but our brains have evolved to see everything as 3 dimensional moves, so we can't see that shift - and it looks like spinning to us :)

Also, hemisphere dominence has NOTHING to do with personality and abilities. It just shows where you store language and memory, etc. That's a silly little pop-hypothesis that has gotten out of hand :)

Also, the whole sexuality and handedness thing is bull too :p

You guys are cute.
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 6:44:57 PM

I'm an amby.

........Nevermind lol
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 6:49:21 PM
Check this video out - love it - some optical illusions.

The brain is a fascinating thing :)
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 6:56:49 PM
At 2/5/2010 6:49:21 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:

Check this video out - love it - some optical illusions.

The brain is a fascinating thing :)

Whoa.............
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 6:57:11 PM
Side note: the direction the lady spins for you has nothing to do with your hemisphere dominence.
True2GaGa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:01:37 PM
At 2/5/2010 6:57:11 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Side note: the direction the lady spins for you has nothing to do with your hemisphere dominence.

Mkay
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:02:16 PM
I'm gay and right handed - and I don't know any left handed gay people so *shrugs* Most of the left handed individuals I know also have horrid handwritting lol

i'm a lefty, and while my handwriting sucks, you have to keep in mind its extremely difficult to write without smearing (using most pens) so it comes out uglier than it should.

also for the record most people i know have atrocious handwriting regardless of handedness
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...