Autism Rates Soar

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 7:01:31 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
http://www.usatoday.com...

"Autism rates climbed nearly 30% between 2008 and 2010 and have more than doubled since the turn of the century, according to a new study from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The condition is now believed to affect one of every 68 8-year-olds - "up from one in 88 just two years earlier."

There are two schools of thought on this alarming trend, one is that rates are soaring and we need to determine why and engage better prevention measures, the other is that the incidence is relatively stable but the diagnosis rate is growing.

What do you think? How should we respond? Discuss?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 11:59:12 AM
I think in the past very few people knew of this condition so it went undiagnosed, people were just 'odd'. I work in a college and have on several occasions taught autistic or aspergic students. Sometimes when you meet the parents you discover that they have the same condition but were not diagnosed when young.

Autism and asperger's syndrome are on a spectrum by and large so it is somewhat a subjective decision for borderline cases. So the increase recently might be that the criterion for diagnosis has shifted.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 12:55:34 PM
Well there are autistic individuals today that probably wouldn't have been so-labeled yesterday, but that doesn't explain why just about every mental disorder is on the rise. Take Celiac's, for instance - blood samples recovered from WWII show that we are ten times more likely to have it today then half a century ago. Diseases like diabetes, Crohn's, ADHD, obesity, anorexia/bulimia, and others are climbing steadily.

While our medical technology improves to treat (and indeed diagnose) these types of conditions, unfortunately treatment is not as important as prevention. Our modern lifestyles are making us weak. An alarming amount of us sit down all day long for school and work, and don't make it outside away from the harmful indoor air (filled with dust, and other biological particles like feces and skin that don't blow away like they would outdoors).

Also, the products we use are amazingly bad for us. We have a philosophy of "use whatever means necessary until it is proven harmful, then lobby to keep it anyway." Crohn's and Celiac's are directly caused by modern foods. Our foods are processed and poisoned with additives. Even the plants and animals the food came from are poisoned before we get a chance to process it.

We're poisoning the environment too, which has effects on us as well. Even our medical doctors poison us at the office, giving us medications that somewhat satisfy a peculiar need while flooding our bodies with exotic substances that aren't well-understood (and may never be completely). Hell, DRINKING THE WATER is bad for your health. The Green Bay city council, along with many other municipalities around the country, has ordered my water utility to put fluoride in my water. It's very interesting, because if I were to evaporate one glass of water and take the fluoride at the bottom of the cup and put it into a pill, I would be banned from selling that pill over the counter because it is a drug. Fluoride is meant to treat teeth but research is showing it does not satisfy that objective and instead kills our internal organs instead. Go ahead and drink up! The fluoride is in all your foods as well... there's really no way for even an informed person to avoid all the chemicals we use in industry to save a buck. Babies are born these days with dozens of chemicals in their bodies that they cannot process and that would not have been there a century ago.

Rising autism rates will perhaps someday be attributed to fluorine ions, pharmaceuticals dissolved in our drinking water, hormones in our meat, pesticides in our vegetables, phtalates/endocrine disruptors in our plastics, or pollutants in our air. Or maybe it won't. Maybe we'll just stop really giving a sh*t and stop caring like a large % of people that I talk to on the street who are overwhelmed with what I say and don't have the time or energy to deal with it all while they are struggling with their own personal troubles. At any rate, all anybody cares about is getting the newest version of the iPhone and everything else falls at the way-side.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 4:28:47 PM
The question is whether it is being more accurately diagnosed, or over diagnosed. Given how it is currently diagnosed, it is most likely being over diagnosed.

Looking to Autism Speaks, they say, "Presently, we don"t have a medical test that can diagnose autism. Instead, specially trained physicians and psychologists administer autism-specific behavioral evaluations."

They also go on to say, "The M-CHAT-R's primary goal is to detect as many cases of ASD as possible." This means that they are trying to get as high of numbers as possible. To do so, they take people that might be autistic and slap them with the autistic label.

When the site says that a "red flag" is "Any loss of speech, babbling or social skills at any age."

So basically, if your child is lacking what you feel are proper social skills, at any age, you should get them tested. Because being different will soon be a medical condition. If you take their fun little self diagnostic test, you'll see that if you are more than 1 out of 20 questions different from average, you should go get tested.

http://www.autismspeaks.org...

Now, Autism is a real condition that does have a real and serious effect for some people, but it is grossly over done, just like ADD and ADHD were 10 years ago.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 4:37:57 PM
At 3/29/2014 4:28:47 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
The question is whether it is being more accurately diagnosed, or over diagnosed. Given how it is currently diagnosed, it is most likely being over diagnosed.

Looking to Autism Speaks, they say, "Presently, we don"t have a medical test that can diagnose autism. Instead, specially trained physicians and psychologists administer autism-specific behavioral evaluations."

They also go on to say, "The M-CHAT-R's primary goal is to detect as many cases of ASD as possible." This means that they are trying to get as high of numbers as possible. To do so, they take people that might be autistic and slap them with the autistic label.

When the site says that a "red flag" is "Any loss of speech, babbling or social skills at any age."

So basically, if your child is lacking what you feel are proper social skills, at any age, you should get them tested. Because being different will soon be a medical condition. If you take their fun little self diagnostic test, you'll see that if you are more than 1 out of 20 questions different from average, you should go get tested.

Now, Autism is a real condition that does have a real and serious effect for some people, but it is grossly over done, just like ADD and ADHD were 10 years ago.

I call shenanigans on this!

Not that ADD and ADHD were overdiagnosed, mind, but the implication that they aren't grossly over done any more...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 4:39:36 PM
At 3/29/2014 4:37:57 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Not that ADD and ADHD were overdiagnosed, mind, but the implication that they aren't grossly over done any more...

Autism and Asperger's are the new cool. Though Hipsters still pull out the ADHD card.

Also, OCD is another one of these.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/29/2014 4:42:14 PM
At 3/29/2014 4:39:36 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 3/29/2014 4:37:57 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

Autism and Asperger's are the new cool. Though Hipsters still pull out the ADHD card.

Also, OCD is another one of these.

I've had to remind several folks that there is a difference between someone with asperger's...and someone who's just an a**hole.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 7:51:27 AM
Here is a lengthy analysis of the CDC numbers:

http://scienceblogs.com...

In addition to our diagnosis getting better, it's also the case that more people are going in for diagnosis when the otherwise would not or could not.
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:27:16 AM
as$ burgers yum
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/31/2014 8:50:30 AM

When you say "over done" what is your objection, that it is misdiagnosed as ADD/ADHD/Autism or that the categories of behaviors and thresholds of diagnosis that indicate someone has those afflictions is too liberal?