Jump to topic:

How are we affected by Earth's gravity?

Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2014 11:14:03 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I've been asking, how are we affecting my Earth's gravity when we aren't made of metal? I'm guessing, it just does. Regardless what it is, it's pulling objects toward the magnet.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 6:34:02 AM
At 4/4/2014 11:14:03 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
I've been asking, how are we affecting my Earth's gravity when we aren't made of metal? I'm guessing, it just does. Regardless what it is, it's pulling objects toward the magnet.

Er... gravity works on any mass not just metals..? Magnetism is a different force...This is a joke right?
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2014 1:52:51 PM

First off, its not your earth, its our earth.

Secondly, we are not affecting the earths gravity. Our mass is not significant enough to affect this planet.

Thirdly, our blood contains iron, so yes, we are in a sense made of metal. But this is beside the point, I suppose, since gravity isnt affected by metal, it is affected by mass.

And this brings us to the last point, which is that gravity is not magnetism, and gravity is not like pulling things towards a magnet.

It says that your educational level is that of a "High school" education, but if so, I suggest you go back to high school, because clearly you were not paying attention during science class.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 10:36:08 AM

Gravity works with everything with mass, not just metals. There was an experiment where scientists placed two objects of different masses in a vacuum space, making sure there were other variables that could affect the experiment. The object with the smaller mass was observed to move closer to the object with the bigger mass.

Essentially, Im gravitating towards you right now if you weigh more than me, but if you don't you are gravitating towards me. But the force is so small, it's almost as if it doesn't exist.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 10:38:58 AM

A more interesting question would be "How would we be affected without gravity?"

We discussed this for a full hour in my AP Biology class. Then the proffessor pulled this on us: "I wonder how sex would be in space?"

He then proceeded to complain about how his arm dies whenever his wife puts her head on his shoulder and how his arm wouldn't die in space with gravity.

It was a well wasted hour of class XD
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2014 11:11:28 AM

Because electromagnatism is a different fundamental force. Gravity is a bend in spacetime that is caused by mass. Think of it as a trampoline. If you put a bowling ball on it it bends around it and the objects of less mass move towards it. It is similar to that.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO