Looking for an evolution debate

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 4:48:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 4/8/2014 4:51:50 AM, Smithereens wrote:
Against a knowledgeable debater or strong debater. Any frequenters to the science forum keen?

What position are you taking?
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2014 4:50:30 PM
At 4/8/2014 4:48:21 PM, Sidewalker wrote:
Against a knowledgeable debater or strong debater. Any frequenters to the science forum keen?

Yes, I may be interested, depending on the details.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 8:58:36 AM
I did plan to, but life has its way of blocking me. Sorry, I can't. However, I know that many here are very good at debating evolution.
MysticEgg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 9:02:28 AM

Also, a better way to do this would be to start one and make it impossible to accept. That will ensure dozens of takers; one or two of them may even be good debaters.
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 9:31:37 AM
I might be interested, depending on the resolution being debated. I am an AP Biology student, so I have sufficient enough knowledge to have a proper discussion or debate on The theory of evolution.
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 12:05:10 PM
I would be willing to debate something along the lines of "Creation can explain the data as well as evolution can."

Admittedly this resolution is a little broad (what data?), but the intention is to keep the debate focussed on the merits of Creation and evolution, rather than on small and meaningless alleged flaws of evolutionary theory which have been discussed ad nauseam. More specifically, I'm interested in the Creationist argument that homologies are explained by a common designer as well as they are explained by evolution, and hence data often presented as evidence for evolution can also be presented as evidence for Creation.
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 12:07:34 PM
At 4/9/2014 12:05:10 PM, Enji wrote:
I would be willing to debate something along the lines of "Creation can explain the data as well as evolution can."

Admittedly this resolution is a little broad (what data?), but the intention is to keep the debate focussed on the merits of Creation and evolution, rather than on small and meaningless alleged flaws of evolutionary theory which have been discussed ad nauseam. More specifically, I'm interested in the Creationist argument that homologies are explained by a common designer as well as they are explained by evolution, and hence data often presented as evidence for evolution can also be presented as evidence for Creation.

To clarify, I'm assuming you're still a Creationist and would be taking the Pro side of this resolution.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:38:45 AM

I'll take an anti-evolutionary approach.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 3:40:02 AM
At 4/9/2014 12:05:10 PM, Enji wrote:

I'm more interested in evolution than creation. And your resolution is not broad at all with some simply definitions.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 5:48:21 AM
At 4/10/2014 3:38:45 AM, Smithereens wrote:

I'll take an anti-evolutionary approach.

"Anti-evolutionary" is an interesting term, I'd certainly be willing and able to debate you.

I assure you it won't be your typical evolution debate, could be an easy win for you too since I tend to hack off both sides of this contrived conflict.

I'm qualified, knowledgeable about both sides of the conflict, I'll be arguing that there is nothing to be "anti-evolutionary" about, and you might even learn something.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater