Jump to topic:

Denorex

Adaptable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 5:25:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So, I was looking at this bottle of Denorex and noticed at the bottom of the label,"WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer."

My question have any of you heard anything about this and if you have, what do you know about it? Is this chemical really that dangerous?
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 6:21:20 PM
At 4/19/2014 5:25:25 PM, Adaptable wrote:
So, I was looking at this bottle of Denorex and noticed at the bottom of the label,"WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer."

My question have any of you heard anything about this and if you have, what do you know about it? Is this chemical really that dangerous?

From what I gather, its due to the coal tar which basically can have an unknown makeup of carbon containing compounds. Some of these aromatic compounds can potentially cause cancer i.e. Pyridine (potential agent) or anthracene (maybe). However, as I said they may not know if the coal tar actually contains these hydrocarbons, as its a complex mixture.

As such its a complete fail safe to say it could cause cancer.
Adaptable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/19/2014 6:33:22 PM
At 4/19/2014 6:21:20 PM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
At 4/19/2014 5:25:25 PM, Adaptable wrote:

From what I gather, its due to the coal tar which basically can have an unknown makeup of carbon containing compounds. Some of these aromatic compounds can potentially cause cancer i.e. Pyridine (potential agent) or anthracene (maybe). However, as I said they may not know if the coal tar actually contains these hydrocarbons, as its a complex mixture.

As such its a complete fail safe to say it could cause cancer.

Yikes! That makes me think twice before using this stuff!? I am usually one to look at the labels on my food, but now I am going to be more weary of the products I use too! I didn't expect that to be honest. This is partly my fault for being ignorant to this information. I hope they come out with more in depth scientific studies soon!
obrienkr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 9:44:36 PM
At 4/19/2014 6:07:10 PM, Adaptable wrote:
This is the only thing I could find on it. Anyone else know anything other then this?

http://www.health-report.co.uk...

The coal tar ingredient is the reason for the label. Coal tar has been deemed to be a confirmed human carcinogen. That being said this, label is fairly common in the US. It shows up on a variety of industrial and consumer products. The label is a California state requirement, known as Proposition 65.