Jump to topic:

Mass polution filter

Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2014 6:21:03 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
quick note, sorry if my spelling is bad, I dont have auto correct from this particular computer.

OK here goes, a way to filter the worlds pollution.
First: a low altitude satalite that functions a huge vacuum (vaccum) powered by solar panels.
Second, the two steps of filters, step one plant life- as we all no plants feed off of Co2, and produce o2 as a result, the satalite would suck up Co2 along with all other products, which would then be trapped with the plants so they could feed properly, and the in turn blow the purified air back on to the planet, plants could be sustained by the water that collects in the atmosphere.
second filter- a geneticly engineered bacteria, that eats Co2 and produces O2, i have no way of knowing how to keep these little buggers alive, but I am pretty sure that it would take little........

ok so opinions on my stupid idea?
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
Bannanawamajama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 2:18:42 PM
I don't really think a satellite is necessary, if you suck in CO2 down on the surface and release oxygen diffusion will spread it to the upper atmosphere anyway. Basically this plan is the same as just "plant more trees", which I admit would help reduce CO2 levels, but it would take a LOT of them to counter the emissions of factories and cars.

And you're right, there are photosynthetic microorganisms that could also help consume CO2, but again, the volume you need would be enormous.
obrienkr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 10:19:31 PM
At 4/21/2014 6:21:03 AM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
quick note, sorry if my spelling is bad, I dont have auto correct from this particular computer.

First: a low altitude satalite that functions a huge vacuum (vaccum) powered by solar panels.
Second, the two steps of filters, step one plant life- as we all no plants feed off of Co2, and produce o2 as a result, the satalite would suck up Co2 along with all other products, which would then be trapped with the plants so they could feed properly, and the in turn blow the purified air back on to the planet, plants could be sustained by the water that collects in the atmosphere.
second filter- a geneticly engineered bacteria, that eats Co2 and produces O2, i have no way of knowing how to keep these little buggers alive, but I am pretty sure that it would take little........

Would the ever increasing biomass from the plants and bacteria weigh that thing down after a while?
Linkish1O2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2014 11:16:15 PM
At 4/22/2014 10:19:31 PM, obrienkr wrote:

Would the ever increasing biomass from the plants and bacteria weigh that thing down after a while?
Probably, but as you know plants and bacteria die, so if the satellite is checked regularly, we could control the problem.
"I am a mystery and to unlock the mystery at my core, one must simply embrace slendermans hug with no fear."- me

"I hearby declare myself a phantom in the darkness."-me
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 4:34:25 AM

Why a satellite that needs maintenance? The emissions cost to put a satellite up that is big enough to offset its own maintenance and construction emissions would probably be impractical.
obrienkr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/23/2014 6:26:41 PM
At 4/22/2014 11:16:15 PM, Linkish1O2 wrote:
At 4/22/2014 10:19:31 PM, obrienkr wrote:

Probably, but as you know plants and bacteria die, so if the satellite is checked regularly, we could control the problem.

Yeah, I suppose you could gasify the dead organic material to power the unit. The whole biochemical conversion thing didn't work as well as planned in the Bioshere project. I'm thinking better to just plant more trees down here! Gotta give you credit though-that's pretty creative!