Jump to topic:

Brain Waves

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:03:05 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Scientists have reached into the shuttered world of a "lost" brain-damaged patient and communicated with him via his thoughts. The 29-year-old Belgian was able to answer "yes" and "no" to questions by conjuring up imaginary scenes while having his brain scanned. Before the extraordinary experiment, the man, who suffered a severe head injury in a road accident in 2003, had shown no sign of being aware of the outside world...

http://news.scotsman.com...
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:19:03 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:17:51 PM, Koopin wrote:
Maybe we should rig it up to a 7 mouth old "Fetus" and see if it thinks abortion is okay...

... Living babies can't formulate complex thoughts, let alone unborn fetuses ...
President of DDO
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:21:14 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:19:03 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Maybe we should rig it up to a 7 mouth old "Fetus" and see if it thinks abortion is okay...

... Living babies can't formulate complex thoughts, let alone unborn fetuses ...

Lol, living people can't formulate complex thoughts, let alone people in a vegetable state...OH WAIT!
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:27:44 PM

This sentence is a little funny though,
"unborn fetuses"
Is there a such thing as a born fetus? Are you a fetus?
kfc
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:30:54 PM

If it was a human it would have to be counted by the census. How come with humans we call it an abortion and with chickens its an omelet?
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:32:52 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:30:54 PM, Metallicker wrote:

If it was a human it would have to be counted by the census. How come with humans we call it an abortion and with chickens its an omelet?

How come if you kill a pregnant lady you are charged with double murder. If I was never in the census would that mean I am not a human?
kfc
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:45:57 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:32:52 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 2/4/2010 6:30:54 PM, Metallicker wrote:

How come if you kill a pregnant lady you are charged with double murder. If I was never in the census would that mean I am not a human?

Why don't they hold funerals for fetuses every time an abortion is carried out? Why aren't women jailed for serial murder every time they have their period? Why aren't men jailed for serial murder every time they masturbate? I've technically wiped out NATIONS in sleeves of old sweatshirts. I'm a genocidal maniac?
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:47:24 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:21:14 PM, Koopin wrote:

Lol, living people can't formulate complex thoughts, let alone people in a vegetable state...OH WAIT!

Living people can forumulate complex thoughts. Brain-dead people can't, though. The whole point of that article was that the guy wasn't braindead. By definition.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:49:47 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:45:57 PM, Metallicker wrote:

Why don't they hold funerals for fetuses every time an abortion is carried out? Why aren't women jailed for serial murder every time they have their period? Why aren't men jailed for serial murder every time they masturbate? I've technically wiped out NATIONS in sleeves of old sweatshirts. I'm a genocidal maniac?

The reason they do not hold funerals for fetuses is because the mother does not have to have one. Most people in the world do not have funerals, does this make them not human?

"Why aren't women jailed for serial murder every time they have their period? Why aren't men jailed for serial murder every time they masturbate?"

Have you ever heard of sex? Well, it is this crazy thing where sperm and an egg mix!!! When men ejaculate they are not ejaculating babies! The two have to mix.
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:51:47 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:47:24 PM, Harlan wrote:

Living people can formulate complex thoughts. Brain-dead people can't, though. The whole point of that article was that the guy wasn't braindead. By definition.

Yes, but they thought he was. Just like most people think babies are brain dead. But I was talking about a 7 month old. It is proven that they do have brain activity.
kfc
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:54:45 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:49:47 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 2/4/2010 6:45:57 PM, Metallicker wrote:

The reason they do not hold funerals for fetuses is because the mother does not have to have one. Most people in the world do not have funerals, does this make them not human?

"Why aren't women jailed for serial murder every time they have their period? Why aren't men jailed for serial murder every time they masturbate?"

Have you ever heard of sex? Well, it is this crazy thing where sperm and an egg mix!!! When men ejaculate they are not ejaculating babies! The two have to mix.

And the fetus is about as self-aware and human as the sperm passed during ejaculation or the fertilized eggs passed during menstration
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:56:10 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:52:27 PM, LeafRod wrote:
Koopin, shut up.

This is a debate site. I have the right to argue. I suggest you go back to your twitter page.
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 6:57:14 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:54:45 PM, Metallicker wrote:

And the fetus is about as self-aware and human as the sperm passed during ejaculation or the fertilized eggs passed during menstration

Did you not just read my original post It is a well know fact that late term babies DO THINK!
kfc
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 7:05:30 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:57:14 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 2/4/2010 6:54:45 PM, Metallicker wrote:

Did you not just read my original post It is a well know fact that late term babies DO THINK!

Its arguable. They experience consciousness, but are not self-aware. People kill animals all the time. Abortion is not killing a human, its ceasing the development of a fetus that in terms of brain activity has more in common with a chicken than a person.
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 7:09:19 PM
At 2/4/2010 6:51:47 PM, Koopin wrote:

Living people can formulate complex thoughts. Brain-dead people can't, though. The whole point of that article was that the guy wasn't braindead. By definition.

Yes, but they thought he was. Just like most people think babies are brain dead. But I was talking about a 7 month old. It is proven that they do have brain activity.

Brain activity doesn't necessitate complex thought. Fetuses are thought to have brain activity, as far as I'm aware. They just aren't smart enough to decide whether they want to be aborted.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 7:18:45 PM
At 2/4/2010 7:09:19 PM, Harlan wrote:

Brain activity doesn't necessitate complex thought. Fetuses are thought to have brain activity, as far as I'm aware. They just aren't smart enough to decide whether they want to be aborted.
kfc
Harlan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2010 7:16:12 PM
At 2/4/2010 7:18:45 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 2/4/2010 7:09:19 PM, Harlan wrote:

What the hell, I was saying that I agree with you that fetuses have brain activity. You could append "as far as I'm aware" to the end of any statement and it wouldn't make a real difference.

And if we want to nitpick, fetuses logically have to have brain activity, or else their bodies couldn't perform any actions whatsoever.