Jump to topic:

Internet/Deperession

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:27:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
So the news was on at the laundromat today and I heard about more data proving a direct connection between depression and the internet. Most people who spend a considerable amount of time online tend to suffer from depression at a much higher rate than those who do not. It is still undetermined whether or not depressed people are drawn to the internet (exchanging real life experiences and relationships with online ones), or if the internet makes people depressed. I think any doctor would probably take the p-ssy route and say "both" sort of like the nature vs. nurture thing... But I guess I'm asking if whether or not in your opinion, is it more probable that the connection exists because depressed people are more likely to become consumed in the internet, or rather that one becoming consumed makes people depressed?

I'm sure most would assume the first option based on the argument that a non-depressed person wouldn't let themselves be consumed, but on the flip side, I think that becoming consumed is a lot easier and likely than one would imagine... especially in adolescents who grew up in the technology era (those 20 and younger). It's sort of become fairly normal as well, so people don't reject it easily (for instance, talking to strangers and meeting them much like we have sort of done here)...
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:32:04 PM
At 2/4/2010 9:27:27 PM, theLwerd wrote:
So the news was on at the laundromat today and I heard about more data proving a direct connection between depression and the internet. Most people who spend a considerable amount of time online tend to suffer from depression at a much higher rate than those who do not. It is still undetermined whether or not depressed people are drawn to the internet (exchanging real life experiences and relationships with online ones), or if the internet makes people depressed. I think any doctor would probably take the p-ssy route and say "both" sort of like the nature vs. nurture thing... But I guess I'm asking if whether or not in your opinion, is it more probable that the connection exists because depressed people are more likely to become consumed in the internet, or rather that one becoming consumed makes people depressed?

I'm sure most would assume the first option based on the argument that a non-depressed person wouldn't let themselves be consumed, but on the flip side, I think that becoming consumed is a lot easier and likely than one would imagine... especially in adolescents who grew up in the technology era (those 20 and younger). It's sort of become fairly normal as well, so people don't reject it easily (for instance, talking to strangers and meeting them much like we have sort of done here)...

I'd say that depressed people are more likely to be taken by the internet. Since people with more solid social lives tend to be happier and so spend less time on the internet (and more time with friends). While I do believe that the internet allows for the depressed to stay depressed and sink further into it.

So, simply.

Depression -> more internet usage -> allowing the depression to get worse (and forever in a circular death trap.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:35:40 PM
I'm obsessed with the internet and out of my mind with happiness.

I think depressed people are drawn to it to express their pitiful lives in the same way I am drawn to it to express my ideas.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:47:02 PM
At 2/4/2010 9:35:40 PM, FREEDO wrote:

You seem manic. Being out of your mind happy is not necessarily mentally healthy. In fact, it's a symptom of many mental disorders and dysfunctions...

I think depressed people are drawn to it to express their pitiful lives in the same way I am drawn to it to express my ideas.

So some people are drawn to it because they're pathetic, and some people are drawn to it because they're fantastic and for some reason matter? This doesn't make any assertion one way or the other so it's irrelevant. It's taking exactly the approach I said not to take lol (choosing both).
President of DDO
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:57:54 PM

I've had problems with that, but i've always been on the internet a lot. I'm thinking it doesn't relate a whole lot except I go on the internet because i don't know what else to do with myself.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 9:58:55 PM
It is still undetermined whether or not depressed people are drawn to the internet (exchanging real life experiences and relationships with online ones), or if the internet makes people depressed.

I'd say it's prolly both, and a reinforcing cycle.

Kind of like: why do blacks (generally) remain poor in the US. Initially it was because of racist discrimination (among other things) this discrimination caused poverty which caused a breakdown/devastation of their culture which reinforced poverty which reinforced cultural bankruptcy which reinforced poverty...(with the cycle encouraging ignorant observers of the ultimate effects to be racist which reinforces the system)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 10:01:21 PM
Look to what depression usually entails. Increase in being secluded and withdrawal from friends/pleasurable activities.

The internet offers 'insta' friendship, there's a lot of pseudo counselling to be found on countless forums (and consequentially easier) and likely there are those comforted by such human interaction even though it's remote (the removal of 1:1 interaction probably makes it easier for many anyway). Not to forget introverts and neurotics, both of whom have a higher prevalence for depression also are most likely to benefit from this sort of thing. I'd say it's more the light attracting the moths type of thing. :)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 10:22:38 PM
At 2/4/2010 9:47:02 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 2/4/2010 9:35:40 PM, FREEDO wrote:

You seem manic. Being out of your mind happy is not necessarily mentally healthy. In fact, it's a symptom of many mental disorders and dysfunctions...

Well, besides what I said only being an expression, I actually do have psychopathy.

So some people are drawn to it because they're pathetic, and some people are drawn to it because they're fantastic and for some reason matter? This doesn't make any assertion one way or the other so it's irrelevant. It's taking exactly the approach I said not to take lol (choosing both).

No, I don't think the internet causes depression.

I'm getting the impression you dislike me L. :(
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 10:26:03 PM
At 2/4/2010 10:22:38 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I actually do have psychopathy.

Umm. Are you sure about that? You don't even have the required age to be diagnosed with it. :)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 10:48:47 PM
At 2/4/2010 10:26:36 PM, Puck wrote:
Also I'm not entirely sure you know what it actually is.

Alright then Puck, tell me what I have.

Complete lack of empathy.

Prone to manipulating others.

Narcissistic.

High charisma.

Excellent lier.

Prone to taking risks.

Diagnose me Dr. Puck.

Also, ambidextarians have a highly elevated percentage of psychopaths according to what I hear.

And wtf do you mean about the required age? That makes no sense.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 10:53:12 PM
You have high charisma and are capable of manipulating someone?

Sure and I have good handwriting (protip I don't)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 11:00:40 PM
About the age thingy:

Wikipedia:

Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD or APD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual as "...a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood."[1]
The individual must be age 18 or older, as well as have a documented history of a conduct disorder before the age of 15.[1] People having antisocial personality disorder are sometimes referred to as "sociopaths" and "psychopaths", although some researchers believe that these terms are not synonymous with ASPD.[2]
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 11:02:05 PM
At 2/4/2010 10:48:47 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Do you? How am I to know? Self diagnosis is pointless for a good reason. :)

So a teenager?

Narcissistic.

So a teenager?

High charisma.

So an extravert?

Excellent lier.

So a teenager?

Prone to taking risks.

So an extravert?

Diagnose me Dr. Puck.

Also, ambidextarians have a highly elevated percentage of psychopaths according to what I hear.

It's related to learning disorders.

And wtf do you mean about the required age? That makes no sense.

Sure it does if you know what it requires to have a diagnosis, mainly, it's considered an adult disorder, of which requires a long history of other behaviours you haven't listed. :)

Also I should add, your internet persona at least, of requiring input and approval from peers disavows you from much of what you think you have. :)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2010 11:21:16 PM
At 2/4/2010 10:53:12 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
You have high charisma and are capable of manipulating someone?

Sure and I have good handwriting (protip I don't)

And "exellent liar"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 12:02:01 AM
At 2/4/2010 10:48:47 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Narcissistic.

High charisma.

Excellent lier.

Prone to taking risks.

Diagnose me Dr. Puck.

You are a pretentious teenager.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 12:03:18 AM
The OP has struck a bit of a raw nerve with me, so I may take a break from the internet for a while... possibly.

But probably not!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 7:32:02 AM
The only reason why people get deppressed after using the internet, is because they notice that they have no life... Which constitutes 90% of the people here on debate.org.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 2:58:41 PM
At 2/5/2010 7:32:02 AM, tkubok wrote:
I am depressed and am awaiting someone else to come out in light of these "statistics" so I don't look unique, since y'know, I'm depressed.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2010 8:07:00 PM
At 2/5/2010 2:58:41 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 2/5/2010 7:32:02 AM, tkubok wrote:
I am depressed and am awaiting someone else to come out in light of these "statistics" so I don't look unique, since y'know, I'm depressed.

i'm sure depressed people absolutely relish being average and boring like everyone else... strong source of self esteem that

as for the OP, i am sure they feed off each other in a downward spiral of positive feedback. theres no reason to think one or the other is the primary symptom in every case.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2010 3:05:28 PM
In my opinion I would say Depression leads to > internet use.

-The first two depressive episodes are generally precipitated by environmental factors
-People who are depressed often lack social skills which leads to lack of positive reinforcement from people they encounter
-People who are depressed are generally not pleasant to be around and therefore they get the vibe from other people that they are not liked

-So being on the internet is a way to be positively reinforced without having to come into physical contact with other people

Question: Did it say what type of internet they were using? Because there are chats and groups on the internet where depressed people go just to talk to people. These are people that either give them advice about how to not be depressed or what is the best way to kill themselves.

I can't think of a way for increased internet use to lead to depression because factors that contribute to increased internet use would also be predictive of the onset of depression...