Jump to topic:

Space Travel Rant

Tyler5362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 6:17:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I read about how the possibility of going to space and traveling into its vastness is impossible. I look at where we are today technologically and scientifically and I cringe at the possibility that that may be true. I grow unsteady at that we, as the human race, won't see the universe in all of its glory. I try to be optimistic about it but it isn't working out anymore.

Should I give up in hoping for a future where we explore the cosmos?
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2014 8:42:31 PM
At 5/1/2014 6:17:06 PM, Tyler5362 wrote:
I read about how the possibility of going to space and traveling into its vastness is impossible. I look at where we are today technologically and scientifically and I cringe at the possibility that that may be true. I grow unsteady at that we, as the human race, won't see the universe in all of its glory. I try to be optimistic about it but it isn't working out anymore.

Absolutely not. Going to the moon was impossible. Human flight was impossible. Fossil fuel was impossible. Electricity was impossible. Evolution was (still is, to many) impossible. Antibiotics were impossible. Microbes were impossible. A sun centered solar system was impossible. Never was there a scientific breakthrough that was not deemed impossible by its enemies.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
obrienkr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 12:09:47 AM

No, but I see where you are coming from. I'm probably quite a bit older than you. I grew up during the time of the Apollo missions; it was a time of great optimism. The dream of exploration was very alive. Over the years the passion seems to have waned in our culture, due in large part to to an increasing understanding of the technological limitations. There are serious scientific and financial obstacles and the prospects of manned space explorations may seem to be dwindling. But then again, who knows what the future holds. If we focus solely on the manned travel aspect it is easy to overlook the wealth of information gained through ongoing unmanned programs. It may turn out to be true, but we'll never know if we accept that it won't happen. Keep the passion!
Tyler5362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 9:53:45 AM
At 5/2/2014 12:09:47 AM, obrienkr wrote:

No, but I see where you are coming from. I'm probably quite a bit older than you. I grew up during the time of the Apollo missions; it was a time of great optimism. The dream of exploration was very alive. Over the years the passion seems to have waned in our culture, due in large part to to an increasing understanding of the technological limitations. There are serious scientific and financial obstacles and the prospects of manned space explorations may seem to be dwindling. But then again, who knows what the future holds. If we focus solely on the manned travel aspect it is easy to overlook the wealth of information gained through ongoing unmanned programs. It may turn out to be true, but we'll never know if we accept that it won't happen. Keep the passion!

I just don't understand how people ignore the wonder of the cosmos. It is fun and exciting to read and learn about!
SNP1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 12:17:42 PM

No. Humans have shown the "impossible" is possible many times. We went to the moon, we found out where the universe came from! We actually have a hypothetical Alcubierre Drive! It would allow seemingly faster than light travel by bending space around it! We are developing further and I believe that if humans do not travel the cosmos it is because we would have evolved into a different species that does.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 8:39:18 PM
I read about how the possibility of going to space and traveling into its vastness is impossible.

There's really no such thing as "impossible," but you are right that it is incredibly unlikely that we will ever do anything other than observing distant objects (and even then, only observing them in the distant past).

I look at where we are today technologically and scientifically and I cringe at the possibility that that may be true. I grow unsteady at that we, as the human race, won't see the universe in all of its glory. I try to be optimistic about it but it isn't working out anymore.

You are not trying very hard to be optimistic. For starters, you live in 2014 and we know far more about the universe than we did in previous centuries. If you had lived anywhere else or anytime else you wouldn't even know enough about the cosmos to ask such questions. In fact, if you really think about it, if you knew MORE about the cosmos, you'd only be increasingly uncomfortable about your absolute state of knowledge.

Our knowledge of the universe is directly proportional to our state of technology. Both of these phenomena (technological state, wealth of scientific knowledge) create the demand for their product MORE than they create the product itself. For instance, if somebody from the days of, say, Little House on the Prairie, were to see how frantically we scramble for the next model of cellphone, computer, television, etc., then you'd probably have a difficult (if not impossible) time explaining to them exactly why we can't be happy with the current state of the art. Science is similar, in that every time a new paradigm shift occurs, we create more of a vacuum of understanding about the subject than we started with. So, your discomfort is actually more a product of what you DO know than it is of what you do not.

I would also point out that you are failing to appreciate what you already have by concentrating on what you don't. You can either view yourself as ignorant to a vast wealth of scientific knowledge, or you can instead view yourself as an incredibly intelligent being that is miraculously cognizant of the principles which created you.

No. You need to first accept that physical travel to the distant reaches of the universe is expressly prohibited by the laws of physics. Unlike the other examples given earlier in the thread concerning flying, antibiotics, etc., the laws of physics have gathered around and fortified themselves against us ever leaving this planet. Whether we talk about energy, time, distance, extraterrestrial resources, or really ANY aspect of the subject whatsoever, we find that nature is quite explicit that we are meant to exist here and only here.

Humankind does not make progress by overpowering nature, it makes progress by outsmarting it. We aren't going to propel our biological bodies in starships through zillions of inches of space. I like Star Trek as much as anybody, but there's about as much scientific credibility in Star Trek and Star Wars as there is in My Little Pony. But that doesn't mean we won't find indirect ways of exploration. The new star shade is really exciting ( http://www.debate.org... ) and will finally let us see those distant planets we've been so eager to know more about. Science is amazing at finding indirect ways around obstacles. The movie K-Pax showed an interesting idea (moving consciousness without actually physically moving) which would probably be more akin to how we would overcome such problems. Of course, if your great great great grandchild is able to move her consciousness to a planet in Andromeda galaxy to explore fascinating new worlds, you can bet she'll only feel even more sheltered than you do about the parts of nature she is forbidden to explore!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
obrienkr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 8:44:03 PM
At 5/2/2014 9:53:45 AM, Tyler5362 wrote:

I just don't understand how people ignore the wonder of the cosmos. It is fun and exciting to read and learn about!

You are absolutely correct, it is filled with wonder. I believe humans are born with a desire to explore. We want to see whats out there, and we want to do it just because its there. This drive has lead men and women to sail across the oceans, explore unknown lands, fly in the air, and rocket into space. Its the same drive that makes a young boy pick up a rock in a creek bed, for no reason other than to see if anything is under it.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2014 9:57:34 PM
At 5/2/2014 8:44:03 PM, obrienkr wrote:

You are absolutely correct, it is filled with wonder. I believe humans are born with a desire to explore. We want to see whats out there, and we want to do it just because its there. This drive has lead men and women to sail across the oceans, explore unknown lands, fly in the air, and rocket into space. Its the same drive that makes a young boy pick up a rock in a creek bed, for no reason other than to see if anything is under it.

I think the modern culture is rather apathetic to such exploration. But the possibility is not eliminated. We are just so used to one kind of aerospace technology. The distances of space are vast. I would like see better use of the stuff in our solar system like the mining asteroids or something.
obrienkr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2014 11:23:08 PM
At 5/2/2014 9:57:34 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

I think the modern culture is rather apathetic to such exploration. But the possibility is not eliminated. We are just so used to one kind of aerospace technology. The distances of space are vast. I would like see better use of the stuff in our solar system like the mining asteroids or something.
I agree and you make a good point; our current culture does show apathy toward space exploration and we should work within our limitations. The universe is vast and is currently out of our reach, at least for manned missions. There are substantial technological and financial hurdles to overcome. Its also hard to justify expensive space programs during times of financial difficulty. We should concentrate on near space exploration, and we can't just focus on manned missions. There are many ways to explore the cosmos, and some of them can be done without leaving earth. With that being said, I still see value in maintaining the dream. I've never really considered the practicality of mining asteroids; I doubt that it would be cost-effective but who knows. The other planets are of interest to me. I would like to see additional research in this area.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 3:55:18 AM
At 5/3/2014 11:23:08 PM, obrienkr wrote:

I agree and you make a good point; our current culture does show apathy toward space exploration and we should work within our limitations. The universe is vast and is currently out of our reach, at least for manned missions. There are substantial technological and financial hurdles to overcome. Its also hard to justify expensive space programs during times of financial difficulty. We should concentrate on near space exploration, and we can't just focus on manned missions. There are many ways to explore the cosmos, and some of them can be done without leaving earth. With that being said, I still see value in maintaining the dream. I've never really considered the practicality of mining asteroids; I doubt that it would be cost-effective but who knows. The other planets are of interest to me. I would like to see additional research in this area.

http://www.spaceanswers.com...

and debate http://www.debate.org...
obrienkr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 8:47:29 PM
At 5/7/2014 3:55:18 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

I have read the article and the debate; the article on the Japanese mission was very interesting. Don't get me wrong, I feel that such exploratory missions are worthwhile but the economic viability of true mining operations seems very unlikely to me.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 8:56:39 PM
At 5/7/2014 8:47:29 PM, obrienkr wrote:

I have read the article and the debate; the article on the Japanese mission was very interesting. Don't get me wrong, I feel that such exploratory missions are worthwhile but the economic viability of true mining operations seems very unlikely to me.

The interest of potential may drive the technology to make it cost productive. As more and more of Rare Earth Material ends up in the dumpster and solution will be sought out in the stars.
Juan_Pablo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:03:00 PM

Unless we discover faster-than-light travel, migrating the blackness of space to distant solar systems will be almost impossible in one lifetime. The closest star is 5 light years away from Earth. If we created propulsion that could reach nearly the speed of light (something using anti-matter/matter anihilation has been proposed), it would take us about 10 light years to reach our nearest neighbor (you have to account for gradually speeding up and slowing down; if we accelerated too quickly the g-forces would kill us).

This would be a very expensive project and there's no certainty that humans would even survive the long voyage because of all the possible bad scenarios.

People that research this sort of thing say that in order to travel to star with a potentially inhabitable planet, it would definitely exceed a life-time, so we're looking at several subsequent generations of humans sacrificing themselves simply to make the journey even possible.

Will it ever be achieved? Probably not for a while.
obrienkr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2014 9:28:44 PM
At 5/7/2014 8:56:39 PM, Mhykiel wrote:
At 5/7/2014 8:47:29 PM, obrienkr wrote:

The interest of potential may drive the technology to make it cost productive. As more and more of Rare Earth Material ends up in the dumpster and solution will be sought out in the stars.
I wouldn't rule out the possibility, something could cause a radical shift in the economics. Mining the dumpsters and the landfills just seems more cost-effective and more likely.