Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Scientists Create Alien-DNA Replicator

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 2:36:11 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
A, T, G, C, d5SICS and dNaM. Wait, what???
Scientists Engineer First Living Organism with an Expanded Genetic Alphabet

"Life on Earth in all its diversity is encoded by only two pairs of DNA bases, A-T and C-G, and what we"ve made is an organism that stably contains those two plus a third, unnatural pair of bases," said TSRI Associate Professor Floyd E. Romesberg, who led the research team. "This shows that other solutions to storing information are possible and, of course, takes us closer to an expanded-DNA biology that will have many exciting applications--from new medicines to new kinds of nanotechnology."

http://scitechdaily.com...
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Envisage
Posts: 3,646
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 5:26:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:18:50 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Seriously? This is not interesting to anyone?

Havent read it properly yet :-p
Mhykiel
Posts: 5,987
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 6:27:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:18:50 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Seriously? This is not interesting to anyone?

The same event is int he forum thread "God is out of business"
Bannanawamajama
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:25:25 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Pretty cool. Im not sure what exactly these new bases would allow that wasn't already doable before, but the scientists seem to claim it would let them build new kinds of proteins, which might be useful.

Im wondering though whether or not it would be more difficult when they try to splice this into normal DNA. Since they gave the bacteria these new bases through plasmids, which are meant to be traded back and forth, you'd think the bacteria would be more receptive to it, but maybe it would be harder to plant these chains into linear helix DNA.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2014 8:43:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 2:36:11 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
A, T, G, C, d5SICS and dNaM. Wait, what???
Scientists Engineer First Living Organism with an Expanded Genetic Alphabet

"Life on Earth in all its diversity is encoded by only two pairs of DNA bases, A-T and C-G, and what we"ve made is an organism that stably contains those two plus a third, unnatural pair of bases," said TSRI Associate Professor Floyd E. Romesberg, who led the research team. "This shows that other solutions to storing information are possible and, of course, takes us closer to an expanded-DNA biology that will have many exciting applications--from new medicines to new kinds of nanotechnology."

http://scitechdaily.com...

This is actually pretty interesting.

I wonder if it would be possible to eventually utilize our manipulation of DNA into the medical field, but right now I'm not sure how it could be done. The best option, I suppose, would to be to artificially create bacterium with artificial DNA that has a set purpose to destroy cancer cells or viruses.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 1:43:40 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 8:43:53 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/9/2014 2:36:11 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
A, T, G, C, d5SICS and dNaM. Wait, what???
Scientists Engineer First Living Organism with an Expanded Genetic Alphabet

"Life on Earth in all its diversity is encoded by only two pairs of DNA bases, A-T and C-G, and what we"ve made is an organism that stably contains those two plus a third, unnatural pair of bases," said TSRI Associate Professor Floyd E. Romesberg, who led the research team. "This shows that other solutions to storing information are possible and, of course, takes us closer to an expanded-DNA biology that will have many exciting applications--from new medicines to new kinds of nanotechnology."

http://scitechdaily.com...

This is actually pretty interesting.

I wonder if it would be possible to eventually utilize our manipulation of DNA into the medical field, but right now I'm not sure how it could be done. The best option, I suppose, would to be to artificially create bacterium with artificial DNA that has a set purpose to destroy cancer cells or viruses.

Somewhat related: listened to a SYSK podcast on the topic of robots replacing doctors and surgeons. Eventually there will be a built-in app in most phones that can take medical tests, store your entire medical history, and even diagnose you with 99.7%+ accuracy.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
PeacefulChaos
Posts: 2,610
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 11:20:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/10/2014 1:43:40 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 5/9/2014 8:43:53 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
At 5/9/2014 2:36:11 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
A, T, G, C, d5SICS and dNaM. Wait, what???
Scientists Engineer First Living Organism with an Expanded Genetic Alphabet

"Life on Earth in all its diversity is encoded by only two pairs of DNA bases, A-T and C-G, and what we"ve made is an organism that stably contains those two plus a third, unnatural pair of bases," said TSRI Associate Professor Floyd E. Romesberg, who led the research team. "This shows that other solutions to storing information are possible and, of course, takes us closer to an expanded-DNA biology that will have many exciting applications--from new medicines to new kinds of nanotechnology."

http://scitechdaily.com...

This is actually pretty interesting.

I wonder if it would be possible to eventually utilize our manipulation of DNA into the medical field, but right now I'm not sure how it could be done. The best option, I suppose, would to be to artificially create bacterium with artificial DNA that has a set purpose to destroy cancer cells or viruses.

Somewhat related: listened to a SYSK podcast on the topic of robots replacing doctors and surgeons. Eventually there will be a built-in app in most phones that can take medical tests, store your entire medical history, and even diagnose you with 99.7%+ accuracy.

Wow. That's pretty interesting.

Only problem with that, though, is that the number of people specializing in the medical field would drop, and we'd be even more reliant upon technology.

Then again, we already are incredibly reliant upon technology.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 11:56:34 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Holy flipping ship! I knew they were working on it, but mind=blown that they actually pulled it off. I dont need to go into how profound the implications of this are.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bannanawamajama
Posts: 125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2014 10:32:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/10/2014 11:56:34 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Holy flipping ship! I knew they were working on it, but mind=blown that they actually pulled it off. I dont need to go into how profound the implications of this are.

Could you anyway though just for my benefit?
slo1
Posts: 4,359
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2014 7:12:51 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/9/2014 5:18:50 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Seriously? This is not interesting to anyone?

I mentioned this in another thread in the religion section. Over the year I have pointed out in many instances the social constraints we place to justify a particular social policy is on the verge of being busted because of the level of genetic engineering that we will be able to obtain.

The most obvious argument of pro-creation and using it as a reason to not support gay marriage. One day it will be possible to take the genetics from two men and join it to form a girl or boy and poof, there goes that objection.

Who knows what having another base pair can do in the long run and what impact it will have on humanity and life in general. Need to be careful with it though.

It leads to questions whether we should engineer certain qualities in humans to achieve a goal. Imagine redesigning the human to be more cooperative and less competitive. Suddenly communism could be more successful economic model because people are more motivated to increase output for the group rather than themselves.

I have said it before and will say it again, the next 100 years will induce a significant moral and ethical dilemma for humanity in the areas of religion, science, government, socio-economic levels, etc.