Jump to topic:

All Biologists Please Stand Up!

Telos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 6:44:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Who, in your opinion, is a well versed aspiring / working biologists on DDO?

I was interested in having a well formed discussion involving the current climate of origin of life studies.
Troll List:, DanneJeRusse, bulproof
Skyangel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 7:17:41 PM
At 5/20/2014 6:44:59 PM, Telos wrote:

I was interested in having a well formed discussion involving the current climate of origin of life studies.

I am not a biologist but any average person can understand that life originates from the life before it.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 8:24:33 PM

PotBelliedGeek.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 8:25:54 PM

Also, Wylted. I'm not sure if he/she is actually a biologist like PotBelliedGeek but he/she is very knowledgeable regarding modern origin of life research.
Telos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 8:35:56 PM
At 5/20/2014 8:28:18 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Sorry! I meant to say whiteflame, not Wylted!

Sorry Wylted! Lol

Thanks!
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2014 11:12:54 PM
Yeah, not to toot my own horn, but I am a microbiologist. I've had a few debates along scientific lines, most notably a debate over mandatory vaccinations, a recent debate on antibiotics usage with tuberculosis patients (still in progress), and, my favorite so far, a debate over the viability of the RNA world hypothesis. Major thanks to Wylted, JMCika and special thanks to GarretKadeDupre for making those debates awesome.
Telos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 4:20:09 PM
At 5/20/2014 11:12:54 PM, whiteflame wrote:
Yeah, not to toot my own horn, but I am a microbiologist. I've had a few debates along scientific lines, most notably a debate over mandatory vaccinations, a recent debate on antibiotics usage with tuberculosis patients (still in progress), and, my favorite so far, a debate over the viability of the RNA world hypothesis. Major thanks to Wylted, JMCika and special thanks to GarretKadeDupre for making those debates awesome.

Would you say that the RNA world hypothesis right now among the best running options among biologists?
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 5:11:20 PM
At 5/21/2014 4:20:09 PM, Telos wrote:

Would you say that the RNA world hypothesis right now among the best running options among biologists?

Yeah, I'd say so. There are good arguments for metabolism-first, but they seem significantly less likely from my perspective.
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 5:50:47 PM

I don't know if we have any qualified biologists, but some of the people who are really knowledgeable in it are...
-PotBelliedGeek
-iamanatheistandthisiswhy
-Envisage
-2-D
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 6:15:24 PM
I graduated in medicinal chemistry, so I know a reasonable amount about biochemistry and pharmacology. Definitely not my forte though... I actually have no idea how biologists survived their majors.... It quickly became noise to me.

Eiji is very knowledgable and I suspect has graduate experience in the area.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 6:18:50 PM
I actually advocate for a metabolism driven origin of life, as it is thermodynamically driven and several components of an RNA-like world hypothesis could just piggyback of an existing metabolising system.

Life is pretty much an autocatalytic process, I think I may do a debate from this perspective pretty soon, but work has been keeping me tied up.
Telos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 6:20:08 PM
At 5/21/2014 5:11:20 PM, whiteflame wrote:

Yeah, I'd say so. There are good arguments for metabolism-first, but they seem significantly less likely from my perspective.

Can you give me the formal name of the "metabolism-first" model? Or is it just called metabolism-first?
Telos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 6:21:19 PM
At 5/21/2014 5:50:47 PM, Romanii wrote:

I don't know if we have any qualified biologists, but some of the people who are really knowledgeable in it are...
-PotBelliedGeek
-Envisage
-2-D

Thanks ... wasn't there a DDO user on here before the site changed that knew a lot about this stuff who had that monkey banging on a type writer as his profile image?
Telos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 6:23:06 PM
At 5/21/2014 6:18:50 PM, Envisage wrote:
I actually advocate for a metabolism driven origin of life, as it is thermodynamically driven and several components of an RNA-like world hypothesis could just piggyback of an existing metabolising system.

Life is pretty much an autocatalytic process, I think I may do a debate from this perspective pretty soon, but work has been keeping me tied up.

Well I'm interested in learning and a newbie to the debate so if you want a quick win email me when you're freed up haha!
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 6:23:14 PM
At 5/21/2014 6:21:19 PM, Telos wrote:
At 5/21/2014 5:50:47 PM, Romanii wrote:

-PotBelliedGeek
-Envisage
-2-D

Thanks ... wasn't there a DDO user on here before the site changed that knew a lot about this stuff who had that monkey banging on a type writer as his profile image?

Huh... I don't remember anyone like that. Also, I forgot whiteflame, but looks like he's already posted on this thread so... meh.
Telos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 6:24:20 PM
At 5/21/2014 6:18:50 PM, Envisage wrote:

Haha Eiji hasn't been alive for 3 years!
whiteflame
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 7:02:19 PM
At 5/21/2014 6:20:08 PM, Telos wrote:

Can you give me the formal name of the "metabolism-first" model? Or is it just called metabolism-first?

Being as general as possible, yes, that is the name for it. There are two general models for abiogenesis, each of which is termed "replication-first" and "metabolism-first," and essentially the two are not completely exclusive, but each argues that a different process began the abiotic creation of the first life form. Some of the metabolism-first models argue that proteins could have been made in the early oceans and therefore could have provided the necessary metabolism for an organism to form and survive. Others argue that external forces provided the necessary metabolism for such an organism to survive, and thus moves beyond proteins. Anyway, that's how I understand it.
Telos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 8:02:04 PM
At 5/21/2014 7:02:19 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 5/21/2014 6:20:08 PM, Telos wrote:

Being as general as possible, yes, that is the name for it. There are two general models for abiogenesis, each of which is termed "replication-first" and "metabolism-first," and essentially the two are not completely exclusive, but each argues that a different process began the abiotic creation of the first life form. Some of the metabolism-first models argue that proteins could have been made in the early oceans and therefore could have provided the necessary metabolism for an organism to form and survive. Others argue that external forces provided the necessary metabolism for such an organism to survive, and thus moves beyond proteins. Anyway, that's how I understand it.

I see, it's making more sense now... you're good! haha
obrienkr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 8:51:46 PM
I have a degree in Biology but I am not a working biologist. I would also recommend Potbellied g eek. I believe he is a working biologist, or marine biologist. I think you will find him to be very well-versed on your subject.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 9:42:21 PM

Sorry Wylted! Lol

Yeah, I was going to say. I'm ignorant of biology.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 9:44:52 PM
At 5/21/2014 9:42:21 PM, Wylted wrote:

Sorry Wylted! Lol

Where do babies come from?

Oh sorry nvm.
;P
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2014 9:48:59 PM
At 5/21/2014 9:44:52 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
At 5/21/2014 9:42:21 PM, Wylted wrote:

Sorry Wylted! Lol

Where do babies come from?

Oh sorry nvm.
;P

The Duggars