Jump to topic:

When was ... ?

PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2014 10:33:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
When was the theory that the universe is constantly expanding officially made? And what is it called? Is it called the theory of inflation, or am I confusing this with another theory?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 4:45:43 AM
At 5/25/2014 10:33:00 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
When was the theory that the universe is constantly expanding officially made? And what is it called? Is it called the theory of inflation, or am I confusing this with another theory?

The universe is expanding is the Big bang. Hubble found redshift in galaxies showing all of them moving away from us. This shift and other data like formulas for General Relativity point to a singularity first and expanding universe since.

The theory of inflation is a theory that states the universe expanded rapidly in it's first few moments. In fact it expanded faster then light. But don't get hung up on this expansion is in all directions for every point in space so it's not anything traveled faster than light. Just light could not traverse between points. This is to explain the relative flatness of background radiation and other things.

And then to close it off. About half way through the age of the universe, the universe began to expand faster and faster. The accelerating universe is the observation, theories to explain it right now, most popular is dark energy fueled acceleration called the Lamda-CDM model. Lamda being the greek letter representing the energy of a vacuum.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 4:57:18 AM
At 5/26/2014 4:45:43 AM, Mhykiel wrote:

The universe is expanding is the Big bang. Hubble found redshift in galaxies showing all of them moving away from us. This shift and other data like formulas for General Relativity point to a singularity first and expanding universe since.

The theory of inflation is a theory that states the universe expanded rapidly in it's first few moments. In fact it expanded faster then light. But don't get hung up on this expansion is in all directions for every point in space so it's not anything traveled faster than light. Just light could not traverse between points. This is to explain the relative flatness of background radiation and other things.

And then to close it off. About half way through the age of the universe, the universe began to expand faster and faster. The accelerating universe is the observation, theories to explain it right now, most popular is dark energy fueled acceleration called the Lamda-CDM model. Lamda being the greek letter representing the energy of a vacuum.

Sorry to answer when.. well observations were made as early as 1912 but no one wanted to admit the universe was growing or shrinking. It was thought to be eternal and infinite in those days.

Anyways it was a very long road. Not to mention a catholic priest who independently derived the Freidmann's equations in 1924 and suggested the universe was expanding. But you know religious people (Newton, Pasteur, Mendel, and this guy Georges Lamaitres) never offer anything beneficial to science or society. You know like a cure for small pox. In fact many denounced Big Bang theory as a way of injected religion into physics.

But I digress from my Anti-Secularist Anti-Atheistic rants and would say the history is a long and curvy one. Eventually the discovery of the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation was discovered in 1964 and now atheist, scientist, and most religious people accept Big Bang as the most viable option.
PeacefulChaos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 10:17:27 AM

I remember reading in an astronomy book that this popular theory you are referring to, the one with dark energy fueled acceleration, concludes that the universe will ultimately end up in a "Big Rip," and that's how it will die. I believe there are two other popular theories as well, the Big Freeze or the collapsing of the universe.

Well observations were made as early as 1912 but no one wanted to admit the universe was growing or shrinking. It was thought to be eternal and infinite in those days.

Couldn't you consider a constantly growing universe to be infinite? Well, if the universe is going to die, I guess it really isn't infinite if the expansion will eventually stop.

Are there any theories that state the universe has no beginning?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2014 3:39:49 PM
At 5/26/2014 10:17:27 AM, PeacefulChaos wrote:

I remember reading in an astronomy book that this popular theory you are referring to, the one with dark energy fueled acceleration, concludes that the universe will ultimately end up in a "Big Rip," and that's how it will die. I believe there are two other popular theories as well, the Big Freeze or the collapsing of the universe.

There are three popular ends to the universe, Big rip, Big freeze, Big crunch. These are separate then the accelerating expansion theories, Lambda theory.

Well observations were made as early as 1912 but no one wanted to admit the universe was growing or shrinking. It was thought to be eternal and infinite in those days.

Couldn't you consider a constantly growing universe to be infinite? Well, if the universe is going to die, I guess it really isn't infinite if the expansion will eventually stop.

There are ways to consider the universe infinite especially if space is sharply curved. But the previous idea is that the universe was infinite in material and space. Like in any direction it went on for ever. This is different than the expanding universe all observation points to. Data points to this universe being finite it its dimensions and amount of matter/energy

Are there any theories that state the universe has no beginning?

There's hoyles steady state universe that says there was no big bang. But that has fallen out of style. There are proponents of the big crunch and you will here others say the universe is eternal. No beginning and no end. Just a repetitious cycle of banging, expanding, crunching, banging again.