slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 5:03:08 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hurricanes with female names more deadly than male-named storms
http://www.sciencedaily.com...

An analysis of more than six decades of death rates from U.S. hurricanes shows that severe hurricanes with a more feminine name result in a greater death toll, simply because a storm with a feminine name is seen as less foreboding than one with a more masculine name. As a result, people in the path of these severe storms may take fewer protective measures, leaving them more vulnerable to harm.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 5:05:40 PM
I think I tend to think of humanity as very much driven by unconscious decisions rather than logic thoughtful decisions.

I can see how this may very well be a phenomena and how it goes to show that we are all really simpletons at heart.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2014 6:05:40 PM
Has anyone tried to rule out the null hypothesis? I'm very skeptical of this. 51% of people are women, so this would mean women find female hurricanes less threatening than male hurricanes. I think the gender theory should only apply to men.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:59:03 AM
At 6/2/2014 6:05:40 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Has anyone tried to rule out the null hypothesis? I'm very skeptical of this. 51% of people are women, so this would mean women find female hurricanes less threatening than male hurricanes. I think the gender theory should only apply to men.

Give it a shot. More people are killed in female named hurricanes not because of gender stereotypes but instead of .................................?

Why should gender stereotypes only be a phenomena of men? It is pretty well studied in areas such as hiring decisions. Men and women equally carry gender stereotypes.
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2014 7:11:31 PM
At 6/3/2014 7:59:03 AM, slo1 wrote:
At 6/2/2014 6:05:40 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

Give it a shot. More people are killed in female named hurricanes not because of gender stereotypes but instead of .................................?

Why should gender stereotypes only be a phenomena of men? It is pretty well studied in areas such as hiring decisions. Men and women equally carry gender stereotypes.

I requested a copy of the paper. So now I just wait I guess.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 12:02:27 PM
The study has been pretty well debunked. Two factors contribute to the bogus result.

There has been a trend for hurricanes decreasing in strength since the 50s. Hurricanes did not start receiving male names until 1979, so stronger earlier hurricanes have female names. The post-1979 data is dominated by hurricane Sandy. The researchers decided that "Sandy" is very feminine name, Sandy Koufax notwithstanding. The overweight is such that removing Sandy from the dataset completely reverses the result. Without Sandy, male named hurricanes become more destructive. http://www.slate.com...
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 1:37:08 PM
Thanks for posting. Should have know better. I was also wondering if they even looked at population size where the storms hit. That would need to be accounted for to have good data.