Jump to topic:

4-D Printers

Haroush
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2014 11:29:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
When do you think 4-D printers will be available to the public? Also, how much do you think they will cost?
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 12:44:50 PM
What's a 4-D printer? There are three physical dimensions plus time.

If you mean 3-D printers, devices that make physical three-dimensional objects under computer control, those are available to hobbyists now. They start at about $2000, so its for serious hobbyists. The work by feeding a strand of plastic through a print head that melts the plastic and deposits it on a structure that's being built up. Only plastic objects can be printed. A mold can be made of the plastic piece for use in casting a metal or ceramic version.

Amazon sells 3-D printers and supplies.

Hewlett Packard bought a 3-D printer company earlier this year. That's a clue that the technology is moving towards mainstream use. We'll see.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 8:30:33 PM
At 6/4/2014 11:29:48 PM, Haroush wrote:
When do you think 4-D printers will be available to the public? Also, how much do you think they will cost?

How would they work? There are four dimensions - three spatial (all three of which are in use for 3-D) and one time. Would that mean the object I printed could be created at a determinable moment in time.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Bannanawamajama
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 10:09:35 PM
At 6/5/2014 8:30:33 PM, Subutai wrote:

How would they work? There are four dimensions - three spatial (all three of which are in use for 3-D) and one time. Would that mean the object I printed could be created at a determinable moment in time.

Technically current 3-D printers make objects that vary over time, starting from a single location and growing into whatever its final shape is. So 4D printers are already available to the public for as little as a few hundred dollars
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2014 11:05:20 PM
At 6/5/2014 10:09:35 PM, Bannanawamajama wrote:
At 6/5/2014 8:30:33 PM, Subutai wrote:

Technically current 3-D printers make objects that vary over time, starting from a single location and growing into whatever its final shape is. So 4D printers are already available to the public for as little as a few hundred dollars

While correct, there is a difference between the set amount of time it takes to make the object, and the user being able to put in at what time that object will appear. I could make an object after it was created with a 4-D printer. You couldn't do that with a 3-D printer.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.