Request debate feedback on cosmology

Samreay
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2014 10:47:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Hi guys.

Don't know if there is the place to ask for voting to be done on a debate of mine (new to the site, this is my first debate). If it isn't, can anyone direct me to the right place?

Anyway, the debate itself finished a few days ago, found at

http://www.debate.org...

I was hoping it would turn into a good cosmology debate, but unfortunately it never really got past the pseudoscience stage.

Thanks to anyone that checks it out.
Vision13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 1:48:50 AM
At 6/8/2014 10:47:11 PM, Samreay wrote:
Hi guys.

Don't know if there is the place to ask for voting to be done on a debate of mine (new to the site, this is my first debate). If it isn't, can anyone direct me to the right place?

I was hoping it would turn into a good cosmology debate, but unfortunately it never really got past the pseudoscience stage.

Do you want a cosmologic debate about what ? Big Bang ? Equations of Friedmann ? Cosmic inflation ? Dark Energy ? General relativity ? Quantum cosmology ? Thermodynamics of dark hole ? ect.
Samreay
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 2:03:39 AM
Do you want a cosmologic debate about what ? Big Bang ? Equations of Friedmann ? Cosmic inflation ? Dark Energy ? General relativity ? Quantum cosmology ? Thermodynamics of dark hole ? ect.

Oh I wasn't particularly looking for a cosmo debate, it just popped up and I thought I was equipped to answer it. I prefer more religious debates, as those I can only get online, and for a cosmo debate I'd just bring that up when I'm at uni working on my cosmo thesis.
Vision13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 2:20:56 AM
At 6/9/2014 2:03:39 AM, Samreay wrote:

Oh I wasn't particularly looking for a cosmo debate, it just popped up and I thought I was equipped to answer it. I prefer more religious debates, as those I can only get online, and for a cosmo debate I'd just bring that up when I'm at uni working on my cosmo thesis.

Are you " student in advanced cosmology ? Do you want more cosmology debate ?
Samreay
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 2:37:32 AM

Yes, I am currently listed as an Honours student in cosmology at the University of Queensland.

I wouldn't say no to another cosmo debate, but I am not actively seeking them out so much. Mostly this forum post was to try and find a way to get debates reviewed, rather than start another debate (though that is of course not off the charts either).
Vision13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 2:41:26 AM
At 6/9/2014 2:37:32 AM, Samreay wrote:

Yes, I am currently listed as an Honours student in cosmology at the University of Queensland.

I wouldn't say no to another cosmo debate, but I am not actively seeking them out so much. Mostly this forum post was to try and find a way to get debates reviewed, rather than start another debate (though that is of course not off the charts either).

Which year ? First ?

Do you like maths ?
Samreay
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 2:48:18 AM
Which year ? First ?

Do you like maths ?

I am currently in my fifth year of education.

As to maths, I do, but I am definitely not a mathematician, nor will ever be one. I am too fond of the not-100%-rigorous shortcuts we often take in physics that make mathematicians cringe.
Vision13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 6:51:31 AM
At 6/9/2014 2:48:18 AM, Samreay wrote:
Which year ? First ?

Do you like maths ?

I am currently in my fifth year of education.

As to maths, I do, but I am definitely not a mathematician, nor will ever be one. I am too fond of the not-100%-rigorous shortcuts we often take in physics that make mathematicians cringe.

Your in a master ?

Maths is especially instinct, mathematical instinct. In mathematical search, you have a lot of time to do rigourous reasonning... It isn't like in test...
Samreay
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 7:53:52 AM
Your in a master ?

Maths is especially instinct, mathematical instinct. In mathematical search, you have a lot of time to do rigourous reasonning... It isn't like in test...

Not yet, that's next year for me.

And yes, maths research is not fun. 50% of time reading literature, 20% on admin and 30% on actually trying to do your own work. And some people spend their whole lives simply trying to find solutions to the Navier-Stokes equation. I wouldn't be able to handle that.
tahir.imanov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 9:49:52 AM
At 6/9/2014 7:53:52 AM, Samreay wrote:
Your in a master ?

Not yet, that's next year for me.

And yes, maths research is not fun. 50% of time reading literature, 20% on admin and 30% on actually trying to do your own work. And some people spend their whole lives simply trying to find solutions to the Navier-Stokes equation. I wouldn't be able to handle that.

If you are not good at math you should become biologist. Math is the language of everything that exists and doesn't exist.
This is red.
Samreay
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 5:48:57 PM
If you are not good at math you should become biologist. Math is the language of everything that exists and doesn't exist.

Oh, I'm good at maths, just would hate the life of a research mathematician.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2014 7:17:26 PM
At 6/8/2014 10:47:11 PM, Samreay wrote:
Hi guys.

I read it and voted, I'm thinking your opponent was trolling...he wasn't even trying to make sense.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Samreay
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 8:53:56 AM
I read it and voted, I'm thinking your opponent was trolling...he wasn't even trying to make sense.

Actually, we get quite a lot of people like that at uni. There is a massive folder full of their letters called the Crackpot folder, in which these people seem to genuinely believe they have made some great scientific discovery and its nothing but woo. I honestly don't understand what is going through their minds.
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 1:34:23 PM
At 6/10/2014 8:53:56 AM, Samreay wrote:

Actually, we get quite a lot of people like that at uni. There is a massive folder full of their letters called the Crackpot folder, in which these people seem to genuinely believe they have made some great scientific discovery and its nothing but woo. I honestly don't understand what is going through their minds.

It's probably a powerful drug that is going through their minds.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater