Jump to topic:

Stephen Hawking wrong about "No afterlife"

Brad_Watson.Miami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 7:03:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking, 2011

Just because you're the world's leading physicist, doesn't mean you're correct about all your hypotheses. Albert Einstein was wrong about many things (i.e. solid-state universe, his unified field theory attempts) and now Stephen Hawking has said a real boner, besides insulting billions of people! And Hawking can easily be proven wrong about reincarnation (which science has proven) through a simple correction of the fallacy of his own analogy.

Everyone when getting a new computer, first saves all their data from their old computer on a flashdrive, another hard drive, the 'Cloud', or some other storage system. When they get their new computer with improved features including increased memory capacity and faster speed, they then dump all their old computer's information into the new computer then proceed to add to it. This is how reincarnation works.

"Energy is neither created or destroyed, although it can be transformed."
"Consciousness is neither created or destroyed, although it can be transferred."
"Information can be created but not destroyed, although it can be transferred."

These are three of the 23 Principles of Reincarnation including the Theory of Luck...
Luck 100* = [karma 4 + modesty 1] x [desire 4 + actions 4 + abilities 4 + contributions 4 + blessings 4]

*Synchronism 7.2.14 19:34 "And he solves the new equation. 'Nobel! Nobel!" 19:50 "Einstein" - The Cooper/Kripke Inversion, The Big Bang Theory 20:00 Characters shown storing old computers on Wrongful LIfe, Law and Order: Criminal Intent on TV
GOD=7_4, 7/4=July 4th or 7 April 30 AD: Good(7__4) Friday(74) when Jesus(74=J10+E5+S19+U21+S19) was nailed on(74) the Cross(74=C3+R18+O15+S19+S19).

GOD=7_4 algorithm/code produces Earth's 7 continents & 4 seasons, 4 lunar phases of 7 days (~7.4 days) each, Venus .7 AU & Mercury .4 AU, etc.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/2/2014 7:06:07 PM
At 7/2/2014 7:03:31 PM, Brad_Watson.Miami wrote:
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." - Stephen Hawking, 2011

Just because you're the world's leading physicist, doesn't mean you're correct about all your hypotheses. Albert Einstein was wrong about many things (i.e. solid-state universe, his unified field theory attempts) and now Stephen Hawking has said a real boner, besides insulting billions of people! And Hawking can easily be proven wrong about reincarnation (which science has proven) through a simple correction of the fallacy of his own analogy.

Everyone when getting a new computer, first saves all their data from their old computer on a flashdrive, another hard drive, the 'Cloud', or some other storage system. When they get their new computer with improved features including increased memory capacity and faster speed, they then dump all their old computer's information into the new computer then proceed to add to it. This is how reincarnation works.

"Consciousness is neither created or destroyed, although it can be transferred."

These are three of the 23 Principles of Reincarnation including the Theory of Luck...
Luck 100* = [karma 4 + modesty 1] x [desire 4 + actions 4 + abilities 4 + contributions 4 + blessings 4]

*Synchronism 7.2.14 19:34 "And he solves the new equation. 'Nobel! Nobel!" 19:50 "Einstein" - The Cooper/Kripke Inversion, The Big Bang Theory 20:00 Characters shown storing old computers on Wrongful LIfe, Law and Order: Criminal Intent on TV

Stop spamming this crap everywhere.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 1:49:28 AM

Who cares if he insulted people. When you hold irrational beliefs you deserve to be insulted.

Also interesting how this cloud storage idea only came about after the concept of cloud storage. Its usually the way theistic ideas work. The take an original idea and then claim it as their brilliant idea after the fact.
Kc1999
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 1:53:58 AM

: "Consciousness is neither created or destroyed, although it can be transferred."

Thanks for diagnosing me with stage 900,000 cancer. Since you have done so, I would like to transfer my consciousness to your body because clearly the mind and the bodies are two different things! Woo hoo to Dualism!

#NoToMobocracy #BladeStroink
MasturDbtor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 2:53:19 AM
Can people even agree on what "consciousness" is.

Some seem to require the ability to meaningfully integrate information, self-awareness, and goal-directed behavior.

Yet in other contexts it seems to be used to mean merely existing and perceiving even if that perception were as simple as say sensing the presence or absence of light, no verbalized or otherwise symbolized awareness of the light just mere perception. No changes in behavior in response to it, just perceiving it. Some would call this consciousness and others wouldn't. It would seem to me that for something so basic there's no physical reason why one thing should be considered to posses it and another not. Scientists have not pointed out what's special about the matter in our heads for "consciousness" in that sense. They have somewhat for higher-order processes but not for "consciousness" which if we mean consciousness as I just described it in this paragraph can't really be considered higher-order, in fact it's the most basic thing there is.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2014 3:31:53 AM

The best part of your proof is where you use blind speculation and your own opinion as substitute for facts and evidence.
LogicalLunatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2014 8:44:23 PM
At 7/3/2014 1:53:58 AM, Kc1999 wrote:

: "Consciousness is neither created or destroyed, although it can be transferred."

Thanks for diagnosing me with stage 900,000 cancer. Since you have done so, I would like to transfer my consciousness to your body because clearly the mind and the bodies are two different things! Woo hoo to Dualism!

Dude, I thought you were a Buddhist! Why are you making fun of reincarnation?

A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
Brad_Watson.Miami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 9:01:20 AM
At 7/2/2014 7:06:07 PM, Envisage wrote:

You are a liar! But please prove me wrong and show us where else on this forum I have posted Stephen Hawking wrong about "No afterlife".
GOD=7_4, 7/4=July 4th or 7 April 30 AD: Good(7__4) Friday(74) when Jesus(74=J10+E5+S19+U21+S19) was nailed on(74) the Cross(74=C3+R18+O15+S19+S19).

GOD=7_4 algorithm/code produces Earth's 7 continents & 4 seasons, 4 lunar phases of 7 days (~7.4 days) each, Venus .7 AU & Mercury .4 AU, etc.
Brad_Watson.Miami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 9:07:49 AM
At 7/3/2014 1:49:28 AM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:

These are three of the 24 Principles of Reincarnation including the Theory of Luck...

Who cares if he insulted people. When you hold irrational beliefs you deserve to be insulted.

Also interesting how this cloud storage idea only came about after the concept of cloud storage. Its usually the way theistic ideas work. The take an original idea and then claim it as their brilliant idea after the fact.

BREAKING NEWS: Reincarnation has been proven by science (google that). Those who oppose this age-old belief and scientific fact are being irrational and dogmatic. But being an atheist means that you don't believe in any afterlife. So, all atheists, by definition, have to ignore any and all scientific evidence to the contrary of their beliefs.
________________________________________________________________________________

iamanatheistandthisiswhy
You have rudely judged me, therefore...

By the power(77) vested in me by GOD as His/Her Christ(77=C3+H8+R18+I9+S19+T20), I hereby rule that 11/16/14 is your Judgment Day: you FAIL F.

Sentence: You'll have very bad luck for the rest of your life and then not be reincarnated as human for 174 years just for your sins here (you have many more). When you are born-again as human, it will be under very hellish circumstances.

Note: You can repent, do many hours of verifiable community service and petition this court for a retrial. GOD & the Christ are just and forgiving. However, 17.4 years of your reincarnation sentence is non-commutable and any contempt-of-court will result in an increased sentence.

I strongly recommend that you respect this.

- Brad(25) Watson(77), Miami
GOD's Judge of All(25) Humanity

c.c. http://7seals.yuku.com...

Gaming_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 5:12:01 PM

Just because you're the world's leading physicist, doesn't mean you're correct about all your hypotheses.

Those aren't hypotheses. Those are known facts due to lack of evidence for a heaven.

Albert Einstein was wrong about many things (i.e. solid-state universe, his unified field theory attempts) and now Stephen Hawking has said a real boner, besides insulting billions of people!

Irrelevant.

And Hawking can easily be proven wrong about reincarnation (which science has proven) through a simple correction of the fallacy of his own analogy.

Everyone when getting a new computer, first saves all their data from their old computer on a flashdrive, another hard drive, the 'Cloud', or some other storage system. When they get their new computer with improved features including increased memory capacity and faster speed, they then dump all their old computer's information into the new computer then proceed to add to it.

That's a non-sequitir.

This is how reincarnation works.

Irrelevant.

Superstition, not science and again, IRRELEVANT.

Irrelevant.
shakuntala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2014 6:15:47 PM
Hawkings cant say there is no afterlife based on science as mathematics and science end in meaninglessness as Australias leading erotic poet colin leslie dean has shown

1)Many science types ie Hawkins Dawkins etc believe science disproves God but science itself ends in meaninglessness as this work shows-thus it cant disprove God
https://www.scribd.com...

2)This work proves maths ends in self contradiction for 4 reasons
https://www.scribd.com...

1) maths proves 1=0.999.. or a finite number 1 = a non-finite number 0.9999.. thus a contradiction in terms thus maths ends in contradiction
2) maths proves 1=1 thus maths ends in contradiction ie 1 heap of salt+1 heap of salt=1 heap of salt
3) ZFC axiomatic set theory is inconsistent as one of its axioms the axiom of separation bans impredicative statements but being impredicative itself it must ban itself thus maths ends in contradiction
4) maths cant tell us what a number is without circularity thus mathematics is meaningless
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 11:59:15 PM
I think it's a troll post. No scientist believes that science has proven reincarnation. No doubt some scientists believe in reincarnation, but that's different from claiming that there is a scientific proof.

However, there is an interesting point. Being an atheist does not imply lack of belief in an afterlife. Many Buddhists do not believe in the existence of a God, yet they do believe in reincarnation. It's possible to believe in one form of magic being true without believing in another form.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 4:56:47 PM
Posted: 1 year ago

The thing is, Hawking can dismiss your statements if you do not present evidence for them. Hawking has no burden of proof in this case. Do you have evidence for reincarnation?
You can call me Mark if you like.
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 4:58:23 PM
At 3/11/2015 4:56:47 PM, debate_power wrote:

The thing is, Hawking can dismiss your statements if you do not present evidence for them. Hawking has no burden of proof in this case. Do you have evidence for reincarnation?

Okay, I suppose if Stephen Hawking claims that there is no afterlife for sure, then he has a burden of proof...
RuvDraba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2015 7:55:26 PM
Just because you're the world's leading physicist, doesn't mean you're correct about all your hypotheses.

Hawking himself would be the first to admit this. He has lost and paid on at least four scientific bets.

That's more doctrinal fallibility than has ever been admitted by any Pope or priest that I ever heard of. :)
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/15/2015 7:19:03 PM
At 3/11/2015 7:55:26 PM, RuvDraba wrote:

Hawking himself would be the first to admit this. He has lost and paid on at least four scientific bets.

That's more doctrinal fallibility than has ever been admitted by any Pope or priest that I ever heard of. :)

Tell 'em boy
Brad_Watson.Miami
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2015 8:18:35 AM
Recently, Steven Hawking has said he promotes Intelligent Design (ID) - google that.

Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/12/2015 10:27:33 AM
At 4/11/2015 8:18:35 AM, Brad_Watson.Miami wrote:
Recently, Steven Hawking has said he promotes Intelligent Design (ID) - google that.

Or you could provide a citation.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2015 9:51:59 AM

Umm ... reincarnation was never proven true.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
debate_power
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 4:43:23 PM
At 4/18/2015 9:51:59 AM, tejretics wrote:

Umm ... reincarnation was never proven true.

Hard to accept for some, it seems.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2015 5:18:24 PM

sh*t +sh*t +sh*t +sh*t +sh*t +sh*t = well, YOU.
Accipiter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 4:52:10 AM

Afterlife? Who knows, but based on what we see around us it's about a zillion times more likely that you just go to sleep and never wake up.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2015 5:13:57 AM

Lolol
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2015 5:10:26 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Reincarnation has been proven by science (google that). Those who oppose this age-old belief and scientific fact are being irrational and dogmatic. But being an atheist means that you don't believe in any afterlife. So, all atheists, by definition, have to ignore any and all scientific evidence to the contrary of their beliefs.

OK. I did.
https://www.google.com...

Funny, self citing now?
Saint_of_Me
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 11:52:46 AM

I enjoy how you use a little bit of science, replete with some quotes, and then slip in your own opinions, or religious ideas--of which there is usually ZERO proof--and try to make them all seem equally valid.

IDers do the same thing sometimes. With Evolution.

Yeah..the way you quoted one of the Laws of Thermodynamics--the Conservation of Energy--and then right after it pasted in your bit about consciousness not being able to be destroyed. As if that too were a form of energy and not just the product of your brain's neurotransmitters firing back and forth between brain cells.

You also matter-of-factly state that one of the greatest thinkers of our lifetimes is flat-out and 100% wrong about his ideas on the Afterlife. Yet you proceed to offer zero proof for this. Except for the aforementioned Thermodynamic Law, which again, does not apply.

I also don't think Dr. Hawking cares about offending believers. On the contrary, he is likely to be of the same mindset as Richard Dawkins, who is often offended on how Believers and their superstitions get in the way of scientific progress and education.
Science Flies Us to the Moon. Religion Flies us Into Skyscrapers.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2015 12:02:27 PM
At 5/6/2015 11:52:46 AM, Saint_of_Me wrote:

I enjoy how you use a little bit of science, replete with some quotes, and then slip in your own opinions, or religious ideas--of which there is usually ZERO proof--and try to make them all seem equally valid.

Yeah..the way you quoted one of the Laws of Thermodynamics--the Conservation of Energy--and then right after it pasted in your bit about consciousness not being able to be destroyed. As if that too were a form of energy and not just the product of your brain's neurotransmitters firing back and forth between brain cells.

You also matter-of-factly state that one of the greatest thinkers of our lifetimes is flat-out and 100% wrong about his ideas on the Afterlife. Yet you proceed to offer zero proof for this. Except for the aforementioned Thermodynamic Law, which again, does not apply.

I also don't think Dr. Hawking cares about offending believers. On the contrary, he is likely to be of the same mindset as Richard Dawkins, who is often offended on how Believers and their superstitions get in the way of scientific progress and education.

Welcome to DDO. You'll find a lot of this.
baddebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:42:40 AM

I also don't think Dr. Hawking cares about offending believers. On the contrary, he is likely to be of the same mindset as Richard Dawkins, who is often offended on how Believers and their superstitions get in the way of scientific progress and education. : :

Stephen Hawking is now guessing at what might happen in the future. Is that science or is that like any other superstitious person on this planet?
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:45:51 AM
At 5/7/2015 8:42:40 AM, baddebater wrote:

I also don't think Dr. Hawking cares about offending believers. On the contrary, he is likely to be of the same mindset as Richard Dawkins, who is often offended on how Believers and their superstitions get in the way of scientific progress and education. : :

Stephen Hawking is now guessing at what might happen in the future. Is that science or is that like any other superstitious person on this planet?

Is that a true dichotomy?
Harper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:48:37 AM

Except the only place we "save" our consciousness is our brain. We don't have backups for consciousness. False analogy.

Where's your evidence for the last two?

What? How does one even quantify "modesty"?
baddebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2015 8:51:33 AM
At 5/7/2015 8:45:51 AM, UndeniableReality wrote:
At 5/7/2015 8:42:40 AM, baddebater wrote:

Is that a true dichotomy? : :

It would be the same for a superstitious person talking science.