Jump to topic:

The Atoms within enzymes and proteins

MasturDbtor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 3:50:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems like anywhere you go for information on enzymes and proteins they will give you the ribbon structure but they will not tell you what it is actually made of in terms of its atoms.

That is what I am interested in knowing. Particularly I would like to know the full molecular structure (the atoms contained in...) tyrosine hydroxylase and Aromatic L-amino acid decarboxylase.

I am not currently interested in the ribbon structures which seems to be all that gets mentioned in site after site. Currently I want to know what atoms are in there and what atoms connect to other atoms. Then I may want to check out the ribbon structure.

Thank you.
Burzmali
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/3/2014 8:36:24 PM
The reason you can't find the list of atoms in proteins is because most proteins are large chains and writing out the atoms of each would be tedious and borderline useless. You can figure out the atoms in a protein yourself, though. Once you have the list of amino acids in it, just use this handy chart to tally up the atoms that make up each amino acid:

http://upload.wikimedia.org...
MrLexa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 7:00:44 AM
You wont be able to find that information because most proteins are made of differing combinations of the same compounds, and a student is expected to learn these compounds in school. The reason you are finding a lot of info on Tertiary and Quaternary structures is because that is what sets one protein apart from another. Two proteins can have nearly the exact same chemical structure, but different folding, and they will perform two completely different functions.

What is the specific information you are trying to find? What question are you trying to answer by getting the exact chemical structure of the enzyme?