Jump to topic:

Need an intelligent design advocate...

GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2014 8:39:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Please clarify the resolution. I can't argue something is "sound" if I don't know what "sound" means.
Proof that people witnessed living dinosaurs:
http://www.debate.org...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2014 5:53:09 AM
At 7/4/2014 8:39:16 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
Please clarify the resolution. I can't argue something is "sound" if I don't know what "sound" means.

I have remade the debate:

Is that more agreeable?
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2014 3:35:30 PM
At 7/5/2014 5:53:09 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 7/4/2014 8:39:16 PM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

I have remade the debate:

Is that more agreeable?

I'd like to be challenged to it xD
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:14:58 PM
At 7/9/2014 6:54:11 PM, Envisage wrote:
Round 2 is up:

I want to do another intelligent design debate, is anybody else game for an ID debate?

I might.
Dude... Stop...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:27:36 PM
At 7/9/2014 7:14:58 PM, Fanath wrote:
Round 2 is up:

I want to do another intelligent design debate, is anybody else game for an ID debate?

I might.

You're not an ID advocate??
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:39:39 PM
At 7/4/2014 4:21:25 PM, Envisage wrote:
Don't be shy!

www.debate.org/debates/Intelligent-Design-is-Sound/1/

This is the intellectual equivalent of noob sniping... lol
Tsar of DDO
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:46:13 PM
At 7/9/2014 7:39:39 PM, YYW wrote:
Don't be shy!

How so? The debates aren't open... I don't just let anyone participate.

Are you up for the challenge? Want to debate ID?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:52:50 PM
At 7/9/2014 7:46:13 PM, Envisage wrote:
Don't be shy!

There is no viable scientific defense for intelligent design.

Not in the least.
Tsar of DDO
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 7:56:05 PM
At 7/9/2014 7:52:50 PM, YYW wrote:
Don't be shy!

I agree, it doesn't mean it's undebatable though. I personally think think there is no viable philosophical defence of God, it doesn't mean it's I debatable though, and not worth discussing.

Besides there are many ways to potentially argue ID, I think some are relatively objective, so it is t as if it's a wasted excercise.

Not in the least.

How boring.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 8:10:02 PM
At 7/9/2014 7:56:05 PM, Envisage wrote:
Don't be shy!

I agree, it doesn't mean it's undebatable though. I personally think think there is no viable philosophical defence of God, it doesn't mean it's I debatable though, and not worth discussing.

If by "philosophical defense of God" you mean "there is no argument that can prove God's existence," I agree with you. But, that doesn't mean that one shouldn't believe in God unless your standard for belief is that you only believe that for which there is empirical evidence. And if it is, that's understandable.... but there are other means to belief than just that.

Though the idea that something's worth discussing or not is subjective.... it is my view that arguments over God's existence are pointless.

Besides there are many ways to potentially argue ID, I think some are relatively objective, so it is t as if it's a wasted excercise.

Not in the least.

How boring.

I really am... lol
Tsar of DDO
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2014 8:43:19 PM
At 7/9/2014 7:27:36 PM, Envisage wrote:
Round 2 is up:

I might.

Yes I am
Dude... Stop...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 2:26:48 AM
At 7/9/2014 8:43:19 PM, Fanath wrote:
Round 2 is up:

I might.

Yes I am

I thought you were an atheist lol
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 7:01:05 AM
At 7/9/2014 8:10:02 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/9/2014 7:56:05 PM, Envisage wrote:
Don't be shy!

If by "philosophical defense of God" you mean "there is no argument that can prove God's existence," I agree with you. But, that doesn't mean that one shouldn't believe in God unless your standard for belief is that you only believe that for which there is empirical evidence. And if it is, that's understandable.... but there are other means to belief than just that.

Though the idea that something's worth discussing or not is subjective.... it is my view that arguments over God's existence are pointless.

At least you are on the same side of the coin on both issues, because otherwise that would be inconsistent. I take the stronger stand that "there is no argument that can reasonable demonstrate that god exists".

And no, the demonstration need not be empirical, in fact very few arguments I deal with are empirical, and I debate God a looooot.

That is one thing I like about ID, they are an empirically based proposition, and hence it's more fun to debate it. I got through my rounds with Garret within hours.

Not in the least.

How boring.

I really am... lol
Fanath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2014 9:29:22 AM
At 7/10/2014 2:26:48 AM, Envisage wrote:
At 7/9/2014 8:43:19 PM, Fanath wrote:
Round 2 is up:

I might.

Yes I am

I thought you were an atheist lol

Why?
Dude... Stop...
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 8:59:24 AM
Debate #2 vs v3nesl is in the final round, and shaping to be rather interesting:

Is there another ID proponent who would like to debate ID? I am in the mood to debate all ID proponents on this website on the subject...
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:08:18 AM
I think you should debate that guy you had challenged a while back, than failed to post your rebuttal to his opening because you're internet went out or something
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 3:34:08 AM
At 7/15/2014 3:08:18 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:
I think you should debate that guy you had challenged a while back, than failed to post your rebuttal to his opening because you're internet went out or something

Joepalsac?
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 4:59:09 AM
At 7/15/2014 3:34:08 AM, Envisage wrote:

Joepalsac?

yeah
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 5:10:28 AM
At 7/15/2014 4:59:09 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

Joepalsac?

yeah

Holy sh*t.. It must be like 4am there?!
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 5:13:33 AM
At 7/15/2014 4:59:09 AM, GarretKadeDupre wrote:

Joepalsac?

yeah

In any case he has been AWOL for a month...
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 8:21:15 AM
At 7/14/2014 8:59:24 AM, Envisage wrote:

Is there another ID proponent who would like to debate ID? I am in the mood to debate all ID proponents on this website on the subject...

So what's this all about? Are you arrogant, or are you in doubt about leaving the faith?

I think you've just joined a new church, fwiw. You went from a little baptist church to the catholic church, you think this one must be right because it's so big. But I'd encourage you to spend a little time thinking this through for yourself. Or a lot of time - it can take a while to really realize the evolution emperor doesn't actually have any clothes. You've got to take the time to actually wade through papers and not just read the headlines, like with those sources you posted in our debate. You have to pop the hood, see if there really is anything in there.
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 8:27:33 AM
At 7/15/2014 8:21:15 AM, v3nesl wrote:

So what's this all about? Are you arrogant, or are you in doubt about leaving the faith?

I think you've just joined a new church, fwiw. You went from a little baptist church to the catholic church, you think this one must be right because it's so big. But I'd encourage you to spend a little time thinking this through for yourself. Or a lot of time - it can take a while to really realize the evolution emperor doesn't actually have any clothes. You've got to take the time to actually wade through papers and not just read the headlines, like with those sources you posted in our debate. You have to pop the hood, see if there really is anything in there.

You know, I had this moment of self awareness right after posting this: "So nesl, why do YOU debate this constantly?"

So sorry, I'm probably a bit out of line here. I guess in my defense, I don't debate people, just issues, so I am a little curious at why you want to take everybody on.
This space for rent.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 8:27:53 AM

No, I find debating fun, and I have been wanting to debate ID for a long time and only just gotten around to it.

I think you've just joined a new church, fwiw. You went from a little baptist church to the catholic church, you think this one must be right because it's so big.

This has nothing to do with churches? And FYI I thought ID was bunk a long time before I became an atheist...

But I'd encourage you to spend a little time thinking this through for yourself. Or a lot of time - it can take a while to really realize the evolution emperor doesn't actually have any clothes.

I know the field better than the layman, and I vehemently disagree.

You've got to take the time to actually wade through papers and not just read the headlines, like with those sources you posted in our debate. You have to pop the hood, see if there really is anything in there.

The sources just gave the objective state of OOL research, which was that it is difficult. And I affirmed that in the debate. I have a decent grasp of where the field is and I am pretty convinced it's giving a good picture of what the OOL would have entailed. But this is irrelevant to evolution.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 8:45:43 AM
At 7/15/2014 8:27:33 AM, v3nesl wrote:

You know, I had this moment of self awareness right after posting this: "So nesl, why do YOU debate this constantly?"

So sorry, I'm probably a bit out of line here. I guess in my defense, I don't debate people, just issues, so I am a little curious at why you want to take everybody on.

Dualism:

Intelligent Design/Teleological:

God's Existance/intelligent design:

You might be interested in reading the last one, as I reversed the reasoning I used in the last debate. Don't think I misunderstand your position.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 8:47:34 AM
At 7/15/2014 8:27:33 AM, v3nesl wrote:

In the previous message, I meant to say I have debated several times on the other side if the fence, and enjoyed it, I find debating fun, here are some examples of defending dualism and intelligent design & God's existence.

That should be evidence enough I am not just here to refute theists. I think you will find my latter debate interesting
GarretKadeDupre
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2014 8:59:28 AM
Envisage why do believe in abiogenesis if noone can replicate it?

Why do you believe in universal common ancestry if noone can evolve a single cell into 2?