Total Posts:41|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Evolutionists:

CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 9:02:03 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Is there an Evolutionary difference between Black and White people?
If so, what is the Evolutionary difference?
If so, which is Evolutionarily superior and why?

I am taking the *agnostic 3rd party* approach to this topic, and I am looking for honest, realistic, open minded responses. Thank you.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 9:10:13 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 9:02:03 AM, CrappyDebater wrote:
Is there an Evolutionary difference between Black and White people?
If so, what is the Evolutionary difference?
If so, which is Evolutionarily superior and why?

I am taking the *agnostic 3rd party* approach to this topic, and I am looking for honest, realistic, open minded responses. Thank you.

lol, you mean like are they different??
-- Clearly to some degree

You mean like is one superior??
-- I know of No reason to think so

So far as skin color goes the usual explanation is that dark skin doesn't burn as easy/ get cancer as easy, and so developed (/was kept) in areas that get lots of sun...

Then when people went North they lost the pigmentation b/c there is less sunlight(/more clothing), and they weren't absorbing enough Vitamin D (which you get from the Sun). Light colored skin allows more Vit D to be produced for a given amount of sunlight, and so people with lighter skin were better able to survive in the northern areas.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 9:20:35 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
There are lots of other basic differences in Facial features and the like which may or may not have Evolutionary "Benefit" given certain situations. Though it's hard to say if it's just caused by some random sexual preference, or evolutionary pressures.

Take for example white people's straight and usually kind of a little bit fluffy hair in comparison to Black people's wavy, fro-like hair.

Perhaps the fro like hair allows for more surface area of the hair to touch the air giving a better rate of sweat dissipation allowing for a natural cooling of the head in warm climates?:)?

Perhaps the fluffier hair of white people allows for better trapping of air and thus a better insulation in cold climates?:)?

I think these explanations (which are my own thank you) quite plausible, though not provably the cause of the difference. It could be that they're just random sexual selections not related to evolutionary benefit at all.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 9:36:33 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Some evolutionist amuse me. I try not to laugh at them because they get all mad but some of the stuff they say is just so funny.
kfc
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 9:47:01 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 9:36:33 AM, Koopin wrote:
God did it!

Why do you say that??

Why did God make white people white and black people black??

It didn't have to do with Vitamin D or skin cancer? huh??
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 10:26:49 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 10:01:24 AM, CrappyDebater wrote:
Lets not make this a creation vs evolution thread.

could we turn it into a aliens exist vs are not real thread so we can justify discussing what gray skin would mean for evolution standards?

It seems most abduction experiences indicate thats what skin color the extra-terristials have. mabey gray would have a balance amount of the pro's for both black and white skin. Or mabey gray would be a prestinely different advantage, like membranes that make ESP or psichic communication possible. The skin would have to serve the function of antenna, recieving and transmitting, and probable require more connections to the nerosystem.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 10:57:14 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 10:27:52 AM, CrappyDebater wrote:
No.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, yes.

Black people have more melanin in their skin, and therefore they are more resistant to the rays of the sun. Black people, for example, rarely get skin cancer.

However, we could not possibly list the evolutionary pros and cons of Blacks and Whites, because even within the individual communities of black people AND white people, evolutionary differences exist. For example, there are a small group of italians whos body chemistry is resistant to the buildup of cholesterol, and therefore decreases the likelyhood of heart disease. Then there are the small group of white people who are resistant, or even may be immune to HIV thanks to a mutation in their gene that separates them from the rest of the population. Then again, Black people have a greater muscle tone in general, which is why so many black people dominate many sports. Neither blacks nor whites are superior.
Marauder
Posts: 3,271
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 11:03:32 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I think he's 'No' was to my request to discuss gray extra-terristial skin advantages.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
CrappyDebater
Posts: 334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 11:04:59 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 11:03:32 AM, Marauder wrote:
I think he's 'No' was to my request to discuss gray extra-terristial skin advantages.

correct.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 11:30:52 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
to speak of "evolutionary superiority" without reference to the environment in which the different traits evolved is non-sensical.

both patterns of pigmentation are superior in the regions in which they arose.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 11:47:38 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 11:41:31 AM, CrappyDebater wrote:
fair enough.
so there is an evolutionary difference, but superiority is location based.

superiority is relative to environment. one is superior to another in a given environment when its better at surviving and reproducing successfully in that environment.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 11:49:29 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
We all originated from Africa. The white people are the ones who left and went to other areas of the earth that have cooler sun rays. Thus, they developed lighter skin. However, there is no empirical difference between races other than the amount of melanin.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 11:52:19 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 9:47:01 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/23/2010 9:36:33 AM, Koopin wrote:
God did it!

Why do you say that??

Why did God make white people white and black people black??

It didn't have to do with Vitamin D or skin cancer? huh??

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

If you read my post, I said.

Some evolutionist amuse me. I try not to laugh at them because they get all mad but some of the stuff they say is just so funny.
kfc
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 11:55:46 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 11:52:19 AM, Koopin wrote:

Some evolutionist amuse me. I try not to laugh at them because they get all mad but some of the stuff they say is just so funny.

HA HA HA HA!!!

so God didn't do it?

Or were you really not saying anything at all and I just misinterpreted you to have some meaning?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 12:00:33 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 11:03:32 AM, Marauder wrote:
I think he's 'No' was to my request to discuss gray extra-terristial skin advantages.

I know that, just wanted to quote him so that he knew i was addressing his question.
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 12:00:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 11:55:46 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/23/2010 11:52:19 AM, Koopin wrote:

Some evolutionist amuse me. I try not to laugh at them because they get all mad but some of the stuff they say is just so funny.

HA HA HA HA!!!

so God didn't do it?

Or were you really not saying anything at all and I just misinterpreted you to have some meaning?

here we go again...You atheists...

Well, first of all let me point out that when it comes to Atheists, they always think hat Christains are always talking about God. Can you explainto me how you got the subject of God from, Some evolutionist amuse me?
It is like a member of Peta talking about the sky, then someone comes up to him and starts talking about how Peta is a dumb thing.

Secondly, I was saying that evolutionists make me laugh when they talk about bacteria hitch-hiking and that's how we all get there.

Lastly,I do beleive God made it, but I am not talking about that.
kfc
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 12:03:38 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 12:00:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
Secondly, I was saying that evolutionists make me laugh when they talk about bacteria hitch-hiking and that's how we all get there.

I don't remember you talking about this...
And I have no idea what you mean.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 12:06:32 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 12:03:38 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/23/2010 12:00:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
Secondly, I was saying that evolutionists make me laugh when they talk about bacteria hitch-hiking and that's how we all get there.

I don't remember you talking about this...
And I have no idea what you mean.

Did I say, Evolutionist make me laugh? No. I said some evolutionists. Just like some Christians make me laugh.
kfc
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 12:12:47 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 9:36:33 AM, Koopin wrote:
Some evolutionist amuse me. I try not to laugh at them because they get all mad but some of the stuff they say is just so funny.

Don't base your understanding of the Theory of Evolution on the random speculations of matt, Koopin. He isn't an 'evolutionist', he's a random person off the internet speculating on evolution.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 12:14:35 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 12:12:47 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 2/23/2010 9:36:33 AM, Koopin wrote:
Some evolutionist amuse me. I try not to laugh at them because they get all mad but some of the stuff they say is just so funny.

Don't base your understanding of the Theory of Evolution on the random speculations of matt, Koopin. He isn't an 'evolutionist', he's a random person off the internet speculating on evolution.

hey hey hey... First I don't think MY speculations are amusing, secondly I don't think he was referring to my speculations,

Thirdly, I think my speculations do mesh nicely with the theory of Evolutionists.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 12:15:29 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 12:12:47 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 2/23/2010 9:36:33 AM, Koopin wrote:
Some evolutionist amuse me. I try not to laugh at them because they get all mad but some of the stuff they say is just so funny.

Don't base your understanding of the Theory of Evolution on the random speculations of matt, Koopin. He isn't an 'evolutionist', he's a random person off the internet speculating on evolution.

Aren't we all?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 2:54:30 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 12:00:49 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 2/23/2010 11:55:46 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/23/2010 11:52:19 AM, Koopin wrote:

Some evolutionist amuse me. I try not to laugh at them because they get all mad but some of the stuff they say is just so funny.

HA HA HA HA!!!

so God didn't do it?

Or were you really not saying anything at all and I just misinterpreted you to have some meaning?

here we go again...You atheists...

Well, first of all let me point out that when it comes to Atheists, they always think hat Christains are always talking about God. Can you explainto me how you got the subject of God from, Some evolutionist amuse me?
It is like a member of Peta talking about the sky, then someone comes up to him and starts talking about how Peta is a dumb thing.

Secondly, I was saying that evolutionists make me laugh when they talk about bacteria hitch-hiking and that's how we all get there.

Lastly,I do beleive God made it, but I am not talking about that.

First of all you used the word "Evolutionist". This is akin to peta mentioning "meat-eater", and someone coming along and saying how Peta is a dumb thing.

Secondly, the reason why you believe that it is funny how evolutionists believe that bacteria hitch-hiking got us here, is because of your beliefs regarding God, is it not?
nickthengineer
Posts: 251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 7:13:28 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 10:01:24 AM, CrappyDebater wrote:
Lets not make this a creation vs evolution thread.

The name of the thread is Evolutionists. And you DON'T want this to be about creation/evolution??
I evolved from stupid. (http://www.debate.org...)
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2010 9:33:13 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 7:22:59 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have a joke that pretty much sums up the topic of this thread, however I'm not sharing it as it's quite racist...

Then why'd you mention it?

Thanks...
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
KafkianRoach
Posts: 20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 12:09:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 2/23/2010 12:14:35 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/23/2010 12:12:47 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 2/23/2010 9:36:33 AM, Koopin wrote:
Some evolutionist amuse me. I try not to laugh at them because they get all mad but some of the stuff they say is just so funny.

Don't base your understanding of the Theory of Evolution on the random speculations of matt, Koopin. He isn't an 'evolutionist', he's a random person off the internet speculating on evolution.

hey hey hey... First I don't think MY speculations are amusing, secondly I don't think he was referring to my speculations,

Thirdly, I think my speculations do mesh nicely with the theory of Evolutionists.

Actually there may be some truth to bacteria hitch hiking with humans, for example bacteria as seen in the intestines are symbiotic with us (A similar case is Termites: http://en.wikipedia.org...)* .. or if he's talking about Virus' infecting Human DNA to carry itself on, I think that how it does work, by infecting the Genome of nuclei with it's own genetic code, is how it convinces DNA to make more of 'it'. Although I'm not a virologist, this I think is more of a gross generalization.

I'd need to do more reseach in the mechanics of Disease, and see what Matt's orignal speculations are. (Which I didn't see on this thread, which I wonder why it was even mentioned at all.. except as a point to mock him with, I'd excuse the lack of genuine criticism because it likely has been mentioned elsewhere.)

*Is wikipedia a reliable source for debate.org? As a Academic student, I rather wary of it, apart from when it's convient for quick reference.