Jump to topic:

Confusing Atheism and Science

Installgentoo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 11:25:22 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Is there anything that's more annoying than the amount of people who do this?

Science doesn't favour any ideology, only looking at what is really true. Quite why people have the misconception that being an atheist qualifies you as someone who can investigate things scientifically is genuinely beyond me.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 11:31:39 AM
Science is but pragmatism, not truth -- it's useful consistencies, not dealing at all in what could be, or what one should believe, etc. Atheism is a religion for the most part.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 11:32:10 AM
At 7/13/2014 11:25:22 AM, Installgentoo wrote:

Science doesn't favour any ideology, only looking at what is really true. Quite why people have the misconception that being an atheist qualifies you as someone who can investigate things scientifically is genuinely beyond me.

I actually agree with this OP.

Similarly being a Theist doesn't qualify you as someone who can investigate things scientifically, either. Nor as someone who can make scientific claims and them automatically be right because your religious affiliation says it's true/false.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:47:42 PM
At 7/13/2014 11:32:10 AM, Envisage wrote:

Similarly being a Theist doesn't qualify you as someone who can investigate things scientifically, either. Nor as someone who can make scientific claims and them automatically be right because your religious affiliation says it's true/false.

yeah best just to not do the scientific inquire at all, reject a claim before getting any information about it, call that the "default position" and automatically say it is true.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 12:52:53 PM
At 7/13/2014 12:47:42 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

yeah best just to not do the scientific inquire at all, reject a claim before getting any information about it, call that the "default position" and automatically say it is true.

Got something you want to say Mykeil? Want to actually debate something than throwing ill-conceived and badly-tasting remarks at every post I make on the religion section?
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 1:03:00 PM
At 7/13/2014 12:52:53 PM, Envisage wrote:

Got something you want to say Mykeil? Want to actually debate something than throwing ill-conceived and badly-tasting remarks at every post I make on the religion section?

I can not reason with the illogical.

When I said, "You can't prove something without evidence", you suggested the statement was False and self-defeating.

You call yourself a scientist?
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 1:19:03 PM
At 7/13/2014 1:03:00 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

When I said, "You can't prove something without evidence", you suggested the statement was False and self-defeating.

It's closely related to the problem of induction. It's a philosophical statement, and not a scientific one.

But then I see that I am wasting my time with someone who can't keep his testosterone and self-superiority complex in check.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 1:32:06 PM
At 7/13/2014 1:19:03 PM, Envisage wrote:

It's closely related to the problem of induction. It's a philosophical statement, and not a scientific one.

But then I see that I am wasting my time with someone who can't keep his testosterone and self-superiority complex in check.

You borrow scientific methodology and pass it off as equally valid and accurate in epistemological arguments.

I've seen enough of your selective application of principles to bolster your strong atheist ..umm.. utterances.
Envisage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 1:36:37 PM
At 7/13/2014 1:32:06 PM, Mhykiel wrote:

You borrow scientific methodology and pass it off as equally valid and accurate in epistemological arguments.

I've seen enough of your selective application of principles to bolster your strong atheist ..umm.. utterances.

"I can not reason with the illogical."

Then why the hell are you even replying to me if you already think it will be a futile task?!

Either you are just being a f*ggot, or you don't believe the own crap you say.

Now are we going to debate or not? You want to debate against strong atheism?

"Resolved: God does not exist"

Also, abiogenesis, intelligent design etc? We disagree on everything so a topic should be easy.

I look forward to hacking your ideas to pieces.... again.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2014 1:58:39 PM
At 7/13/2014 1:36:37 PM, Envisage wrote:

Then why the hell are you even replying to me if you already think it will be a futile task?!

Also, abiogenesis, intelligent design etc? We disagree on everything so a topic should be easy.

You didn't address my ideas. Your whole debate was a straw man.
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2014 12:17:03 AM
At 7/13/2014 1:36:37 PM, Envisage wrote:

and you and other mentally depraved atheist keep mistaking the null hypothesis as being defualt true.

which there is no such thing. the null hypothesis is only valuable vs. h1. and it is an huerestic to establish statistical significance.

you fail epically in understanding science or logic.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2014 11:38:27 AM
I think the problem with this is that being skeptic is more scientific than being credulous. And atheism is more related to skepticism than it is to credulity.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 9:35:16 AM

I only see theistic idiots do this.

Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2014 3:36:21 PM

I've seen you personally equate science with atheism (specifically evolution) more times than every post of every atheist I have ever seen post on this forum put together.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 3:35:07 PM

Agreed, there are many atheists that believe in ridiculous ideas with no valid skepticism applied.

I would say its more just a skepticism problem.
Zylorarchy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 3:51:46 PM

I agree with you 100%. Atheism is the rejection of deities. That is all, it is literally nothing else.
"I am not intolerant of religion, I am intolerant of intolerance"
"True freedom is not simply left or right. It is the ability to know when a law is needed, but more importantly, know when one is not"
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 4:26:43 PM
Absolutely agree. A lot of time people get classified into one of two groups.

- The Atheists, boasted as advocates of science and reason, steady in the way of progress.
or......
- The Religious, boasted as supporters of morals, fundamentals, and strong societies.

Both categorizations have nothing to do with what they boast, and it should end immediately.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 8:38:35 PM
At 8/2/2014 4:26:43 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Absolutely agree. A lot of time people get classified into one of two groups.

- The Atheists, boasted as advocates of science and reason, steady in the way of progress.
or......
- The Religious, boasted as supporters of morals, fundamentals, and strong societies.

Both categorizations have nothing to do with what they boast, and it should end immediately.

^ This times infinity. Choice of beliefs (that term is my preferred term, as there are dozens of definitions of the word "religion") does not define that much about a person.

I've seen many articulate and intellectual God(s)-fearing people, and I've seen some atheists whose irrationality regarding some aspects of logic frustrates me to no end. The opposite is true as well. The amount of personal attacks in the Religion forum are terrible. I'm going to start on a quest to improve conditions there tonight or tomorrow; if I succeed, it would be akin to solving the problems of the Middle East, in terms of the sheer difficulty, but the state of that forum is lamentable, so I have to try.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3