Jump to topic:

Doomsday Theory:The Alien Infection

Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 7:41:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
A common theory about foreign life is that it will be a micro-biologic level; this has led many people to theorize that there may be a threat of a "super bug". The idea is that a strange new infectious organism may come onto our planet, on a comet or on a returning satellite, and this new organism may become a super plague that we do not know how to stop. At its worst it could become a complete exterminator, or it may be utilized as a new bio-warfare weapon. NASA today even decontaminates all returning space craft and samples to ensure that there is no strange organism on the object.
My question is,

Do you think that we should explore space as we are now and risk a hostile organism being brought into earth? Furthermore, Do you think there is a substantial threat of a mass infection by a theoretical super bug?

I personally think that the day will come where we will encounter a dangerous new strain of virus; if we haven't all ready (some people have theorized that the Spanish Flu which was very lethal was caused by a foreign life form).
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 8:05:32 PM
The Spanish flu wasn't any more foreign to the Earth than a daffodil. I don't get where people think this sort of thing up.

Anyways, there probably exists somewhere out there a virus that would be very lethal to humans for not-so-foreign reasons, being that if humans do not have an immunity to a virus, we will probably die pretty quickly. That's just how our biology works.

But, the idea that it will come on a comet, or from a returning satellite, is silly. The amount of heat generated by objects entering into our atmosphere is so great that nothing biological, not even the non-alive viruses, would survive. A biological force could not survive that amount of heat. Our own astronauts barely do.

Could humans be infected if they brought something on board a shuttle or brought back something from Mars? Possibly. But they sterilize all these sort of things regardless, and if scientists were truly worried about the risk of alien infection, they would take heavy precautions.

In general, this doomsday scenario - not a theory - is grounded in very little. Most are.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2010 8:23:48 PM
At 2/24/2010 7:41:44 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
My question is,

Do you think that we should explore space as we are now and risk a hostile organism being brought into earth? Furthermore, Do you think there is a substantial threat of a mass infection by a theoretical super bug?

A "substantial" threat? No. When you stop and realize that the odds are just as strong in favor that they would be highly vulnerable to us as we might be to them. They might as likely be no match for our immune system and be wiped out entirely in no time.

But really, they would have to be able to survive in a bunch of different climates. The depth of space, the heat from re-entry, the chemicals on Earth, and the antibodies in the body.

I personally think that the day will come where we will encounter a dangerous new strain of virus; if we haven't all ready (some people have theorized that the Spanish Flu which was very lethal was caused by a foreign life form).

if it is carbon based, then it should burn to death upon re-entry (much like cooking food kills most bacteria and viruses, and actually causes a chemical change in the meat being cooked). If it isn't carbon based, I don't see how it would harm us. It wouldn't really be able to reproduce well in our bodies (cause it would likely be silicon based and we aren't full of silicon, well, most of us aren't) and so wouldn't spread very well.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 1:14:35 AM
since there are many infectious diseases on earth that are incapable of affecting humans (since they don't have any of our DNA and thus the right mechanisms to get through our defenses) it seems unreasonable to expect an infectious agent from space to be able to do so. also, the majority of microscopic creatures do not cause disease...
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 6:40:30 PM
At 2/25/2010 1:14:35 AM, belle wrote:
since there are many infectious diseases on earth that are incapable of affecting humans (since they don't have any of our DNA and thus the right mechanisms to get through our defenses) it seems unreasonable to expect an infectious agent from space to be able to do so. also, the majority of microscopic creatures do not cause disease...

Ermm..."viruses"? Could you please point out to me the giant virus that is visible to the naked eye? If you mean majority as in quantity, well yes a lot of micro-organisms are not dangerous, that doesn't mean there none that are.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2010 10:11:30 PM
At 2/25/2010 6:40:30 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:

Ermm..."viruses"? Could you please point out to me the giant virus that is visible to the naked eye? If you mean majority as in quantity, well yes a lot of micro-organisms are not dangerous, that doesn't mean there none that are.

no, but taken together (rarity of infectious agents that actually effect us and rarity of microorganisms that actually are infectious) and combined with the fact that anything organic (esp more complex things!) is unlikely to survive passing through our atmosphere, a superbug from space seems extremely unlikely :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 12:04:48 AM
At 2/25/2010 10:11:30 PM, belle wrote:
At 2/25/2010 6:40:30 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:

no, but taken together (rarity of infectious agents that actually effect us and rarity of microorganisms that actually are infectious) and combined with the fact that anything organic (esp more complex things!) is unlikely to survive passing through our atmosphere, a superbug from space seems extremely unlikely :P

Aaarrrggghhh!!! Common sense! It burns! It burns my eyes! AIEEEE!!!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 12:11:52 AM
Not that I support this theory even remotely, but the alien bug infection is possible if it came here by space craft. And since most of the aliens that visit Earth are directly related to us, it's probable that the disease could affect us as well.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 12:20:14 AM
At 2/26/2010 12:11:52 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Not that I support this theory even remotely, but the alien bug infection is possible if it came here by space craft. And since most of the aliens that visit Earth are directly related to us, it's probable that the disease could affect us as well.

I am sure you are a lovely person, but you really need to grow up.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 12:23:19 AM
At 2/26/2010 12:20:14 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

With a response like that, you made a statement about yourself, not me.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 12:26:30 AM
At 2/26/2010 12:23:19 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/26/2010 12:20:14 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

With a response like that, you made a statement about yourself, not me.

I suppose I was a bit rude, I may be on a sugar high.

Seriously you can't expect people not to scoff when you make these bizarre claims every day, without a shred of evidence.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 12:32:06 AM
At 2/26/2010 12:26:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Seriously you can't expect people not to scoff when you make these bizarre claims every day,

Not even GodSands gets a response like that.

without a shred of evidence.

A lot of times things need to be put out there for consideration and opening minds to possibilities. What I have seen and read has convinced me that it's more than likely and in fact, probable (referring to my views overall). However, I am able to debate my position and try to provide evidence for these positions. See here: http://www.debate.org...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2010 12:59:57 AM
At 2/26/2010 12:32:06 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/26/2010 12:26:30 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Seriously you can't expect people not to scoff when you make these bizarre claims every day,

Not even GodSands gets a response like that.

I am pretty certain I have given him a fair dose of negativity every now and then!