Human Extinction

mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 12:49:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
yes
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 12:57:10 PM
Stuff happens.

Eventually it'll happen to us :)

like a sun blowin up near us, or something.

Or even eventually all stuff that we could get nutrition from would prolly have broken down... the universe will be a cold cold place.

That's assuming we don't die off for more everyday reasons.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 1:04:40 PM
Yes.

Either:

A) We evolve into a different species

B) We are terminated by an exploding sun, nuclear winter, etc.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 1:29:49 PM
If we accept that the universe is finite then yes, human extinction is inevitable.

It seems likely that we will go extinct long before the end of the universe, though.
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 1:54:13 PM
At 3/12/2010 1:04:40 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
Yes.

Either:

Nuclear winter will not kill us all...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 1:58:13 PM
At 3/12/2010 1:54:13 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:
Yes.

Either:

Just an example.
Cherymenthol
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2010 2:34:57 PM
At 3/12/2010 1:58:13 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/12/2010 1:54:13 PM, Cherymenthol wrote:
Yes.

Either:

B) We are terminated by an exploding sun, GODZILLA, etc.

Just an example.

yes but accuracy counts. So I fixed it.
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 3:17:27 PM
At 3/12/2010 12:48:23 PM, CrappyDebater wrote:
Is it inevitable?

NO

Space Colonization will save us.

This is why:
"The long-term survival of the human race is at risk as long as it is confined to a single planet. Sooner or later, disasters such as an asteroid collision or nuclear war could wipe us all out. But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe. There isn't anywhere like the Earth in the solar system, so we would have to go to another star."

– Stephen Hawking
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 3:19:33 PM
At 3/13/2010 3:17:27 PM, Immortal wrote:
Is it inevitable?

NO

Space Colonization will save us.

This is why:
"The long-term survival of the human race is at risk as long as it is confined to a single planet. Sooner or later, disasters such as an asteroid collision or nuclear war could wipe us all out. But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe. There isn't anywhere like the Earth in the solar system, so we would have to go to another star."

– Stephen Hawking

The universe is eventually going to 'die' as our stars die. Fail.
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/13/2010 3:28:19 PM
The ultimate fate of the universe is in question. But then again, humans can always built their own universes to escape the current universe they live in, if possible.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 8:15:31 AM
Is it inevitable?

Given that it is possible, and time is infinite... apparently... then I suppose it is.

Anyway... my prediction is that modern man will be extinct in a few centuries, but the genetically engineered stage(s) will continue on long afterthat. Should we figure out how to spread to other stars, and are not purged by another interstellar species then our legacy could last for a considerable amount of time indeed.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Immortal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 1:37:13 PM
Is it inevitable?

I argue that we can avoid it for the time being. The end of the universe is still a long way from the present. The sun is more likely going to cause our extinction rather the the end of the universe.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 3:01:15 PM
At 3/16/2010 1:37:13 PM, Immortal wrote:
Is it inevitable?

I argue that we can avoid it for the time being. The end of the universe is still a long way from the present. The sun is more likely going to cause our extinction rather the the end of the universe.

The sun has a shelf life of five billion years left to it, if 'we' last that long we have probably figured out some way to survive it. Fusion powered space stations orbiting pluto, or even generation ships aim at other stars. But that is a staggering distance into the future.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 7:40:10 PM
At 3/16/2010 3:01:15 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Is it inevitable?

The sun has a shelf life of five billion years left to it, if 'we' last that long we have probably figured out some way to survive it. Fusion powered space stations orbiting pluto, or even generation ships aim at other stars. But that is a staggering distance into the future.

in about a billion the sun will have expanded to the point that we will fall victim to a runaway greenhouse effect(making current global warming look like a joke lol) and ending with earth settling at venus-like temperatures of 700 degrees plus.

cuts our time to get out of here by 4/5ths hehe.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2010 8:22:03 PM
At 3/16/2010 7:40:10 PM, belle wrote:
At 3/16/2010 3:01:15 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Is it inevitable?

in about a billion the sun will have expanded to the point that we will fall victim to a runaway greenhouse effect(making current global warming look like a joke lol) and ending with earth settling at venus-like temperatures of 700 degrees plus.

cuts our time to get out of here by 4/5ths hehe.

After that we need to get out of the Galaxy itself. Since Andromeda is set to mess everything up.