PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 10:32:29 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
This should work.

https://www.youtube.com...

I really want to have a discussion with an anti-vacciner.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 1:25:34 PM
can't help you out as far as being an anti vax'ers, but the video left out the gov scheme of implanting mico chips in the blood stream when getting a vaccination. We must risk whooping cough to remain free!

Just kidding.

I did read a good article a few weeks back that pointed out the incongruity of the left who like to point out the mainly anti-vax conservative crowd is wacky, yet they left have their blanket opposition against GMO, which is also wacky. GMO is an area where it really needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis to identify whether it is good or bad rather than wacky blanket positions, which ignore science.

That is more of an observation better suited in the political section, but I don't think that one can separate anti vaccination from the politics of it. It seems to be closely tied to a political disposition.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 1:28:22 PM
At 8/21/2014 10:32:29 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
This should work.

We don't have very many New Age nutjobs on the site, oddly......

It's the Lefts' very own brand of fundamentalism! Yay! :)
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 1:30:11 PM
At 8/21/2014 1:25:34 PM, slo1 wrote:
can't help you out as far as being an anti vax'ers, but the video left out the gov scheme of implanting mico chips in the blood stream when getting a vaccination. We must risk whooping cough to remain free!

Just kidding.

I did read a good article a few weeks back that pointed out the incongruity of the left who like to point out the mainly anti-vax conservative crowd is wacky, yet they left have their blanket opposition against GMO, which is also wacky. GMO is an area where it really needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis to identify whether it is good or bad rather than wacky blanket positions, which ignore science.

That is more of an observation better suited in the political section, but I don't think that one can separate anti vaccination from the politics of it. It seems to be closely tied to a political disposition.

Whoa just saw this. So you think the anti-vax is mostly a right wing thing? Or am I reading this wrong?

Cause it always seemed more of a leftie thing to me.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
Graph
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 2:54:02 PM
At 8/21/2014 1:30:11 PM, Oryus wrote:

Just kidding.

Whoa just saw this. So you think the anti-vax is mostly a right wing thing? Or am I reading this wrong?

I thought it was primarily right-wing like Slo1, but I did a quick search and while it appears to be slightly more right than left, it's fairly evenly divided. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com... http://www.fiercevaccines.com...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 2:57:41 PM
At 8/21/2014 2:54:02 PM, Graph wrote:

Just kidding.

I thought it was primarily right-wing like Slo1, but I did a quick search and while it appears to be slightly more right than left, it's fairly evenly divided. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com... http://www.fiercevaccines.com...

huh. Interesting.

I guess everyone can get along sometimes...??
:
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 3:13:17 PM
At 8/21/2014 2:57:41 PM, Oryus wrote:

Just kidding.

huh. Interesting.

It's cuz there are two types who are anti-vax: (1) super liberal/new age medicine/don't put any foreign substances in my body/everything must be natural types and (2) religious nutjobs who think that putting foreign substances in our bodies somehow goes against what God intended (mostly Evangelicals).

Former are liberal, latter are conservative.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 3:15:51 PM

Just kidding.

there is both. It seems to be at the ends. The real granola eating far left have a segment(some hollywood types), but there is also a very large conservative fringe including Michelle Bachman. I would guess the right side of things stems from religious right that have a hard core religion perspective where avoid all medicine.

I was just regurgitating the article I reference, so I'm not certain the exact demographics.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 3:16:05 PM
At 8/21/2014 3:13:17 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Just kidding.

huh. Interesting.

It's cuz there are two types who are anti-vax: (1) super liberal/new age medicine/don't put any foreign substances in my body/everything must be natural types and (2) religious nutjobs who think that putting foreign substances in our bodies somehow goes against what God intended (mostly Evangelicals).

I can see both of those- fer sure. I would think there'd be the government/medical conspiracy types on both sides too.
:
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 3:18:10 PM
At 8/21/2014 3:16:05 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 8/21/2014 3:13:17 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Just kidding.

huh. Interesting.

I can see both of those- fer sure. I would think there'd be the government/medical conspiracy types on both sides too.

Yeah nutjobbery is bipartisan. People believe they have seen aliens also come from both sides of the aisle.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 3:38:45 PM
At 8/21/2014 10:32:29 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
This should work.

I'm not a full anti-vaxer, but possibly partial. If you want to discuss tonight I might be free.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 3:50:30 PM
maybe i mixed up the juxtaposition in the article i referenced. Maybe it was this. Liberals stance on climate change denialists ignoring science but when comes to vaccination and GMO they themselves are science deniers.

Anyway, it is a small percentage of population that are anti-vaxxers and it is at both ends of the political spectrum.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2014 4:17:29 PM

Just kidding.

I agree entirely about the GMO foods issue. It is a paranoia that stems from a horrible education and fatal cynicism.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!