Jump to topic:

Define Magnet!

Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 4:30:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
............without using the word "Magnet".
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 4:32:58 PM
At 9/1/2014 4:30:49 PM, Dazz wrote:

Step 1
copy definition
Step 2
replace the word "magnet" with "thingy"
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 5:01:35 PM
At 9/1/2014 4:32:58 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Step 1
copy definition
Step 2
replace the word "magnet" with "thingy"

STEP 1
Magnet(noun): a piece of iron or other material which has its component atoms so ordered that the material exhibits properties of magnetism, such as attracting other iron-containing objects or aligning itself in an external magnetic field.

STEP 2
a piece of iron or other material which has its component atoms so ordered that the material exhibits properties of THINGY-ISM , such as attracting other iron-containing objects or aligning itself in an external THINGY field.

Is it making sense?
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 5:17:26 PM

I'll give it a try...

Magnet(noun): a piece of iron or other material which has its component atoms so ordered that the material exhibits properties of attracting other iron-containing objects or aligning itself according to flux lines generated by another object with the same properties.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 5:30:52 PM
At 9/1/2014 5:17:26 PM, Skepticalone wrote:

I'll give it a try...

Magnet(noun): a piece of iron or other material which has its component atoms so ordered that the material exhibits properties of attracting other iron-containing objects or aligning itself according to flux lines generated by another object with the same properties.

That's more like a process or property of Magnet; stating how magnet works. Try Magnetic Field.
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 5:33:38 PM
At 9/1/2014 5:30:52 PM, Dazz wrote:

I'll give it a try...

That's more like a process or property of Magnet; stating how magnet works. Try Magnetic Field.

Okay, how about:

Magnet(noun): a piece of iron or other material which has its component atoms so ordered that the material exhibits properties of attracting or being influenced by other iron-containing objects.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 6:01:57 PM
At 9/1/2014 5:33:38 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
At 9/1/2014 5:30:52 PM, Dazz wrote:

I'll give it a try...

Okay, how about:

Magnet(noun): a piece of iron or other material which has its component atoms so ordered that the material exhibits properties of attracting or being influenced by other iron-containing objects.

Okay nice try. But leave the "Noun" Magnet aside, it's dealing with terminology alone. Concisely, "any material that attracts iron" is known as Magnet.

Now, it attracts because it's magnet, or say it has such property, or its atoms' electrons are in such order that it attracts, whatsoever reasoning, it's all description, okay then, a definition also. But I'm confused about Scientific explanation of Magnet, why the specific order of electrons behave in such a way.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 7:44:49 PM
the question is not- "how do you define 'magnet'?"

but how do they work?
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 8:34:28 PM

Seems the central issue here is the use of magnet versus magnetic. Its like trying to define between heat and hot. The are related but not the same.
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 8:35:33 PM
At 9/1/2014 7:44:49 PM, Oryus wrote:

but how do they work?

Agreed but the "scientist" in Nigeria know how. Its because homosexuality is not right and so North doe not attract North. ;)
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 8:42:11 PM
At 9/1/2014 8:35:33 PM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:

but how do they work?

Agreed but the "scientist" in Nigeria know how. Its because homosexuality is not right and so North doe not attract North. ;)

/thread
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 8:48:36 PM
At 9/1/2014 8:42:11 PM, Oryus wrote:

but how do they work?

/thread

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Its a legit story, obviously the conclusions are not ground breaking in any sense.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2014 8:49:07 PM
At 9/1/2014 8:48:36 PM, iamanatheistandthisiswhy wrote:
At 9/1/2014 8:42:11 PM, Oryus wrote:

but how do they work?

/thread

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Its a legit story, obviously the conclusions are not ground breaking in any sense.

haha I know
: