Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Immortal Jellyfish Discovered!

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 8:24:08 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
From the article:

"The turritopsis nutricula species of jellyfish may be the only animal in the world to have truly discovered the fountain of youth.

Since it is capable of cycling from a mature adult stage to an immature polyp stage and back again, there may be no natural limit to its life span. Scientists say the hydrozoan jellyfish is the only known animal that can repeatedly turn back the hands of time and revert to its polyp state (its first stage of life).

The key lies in a process called transdifferentiation, where one type of cell is transformed into another type of cell. Some animals can undergo limited transdifferentiation and regenerate organs, such as salamanders, which can regrow limbs. Turritopsi nutricula, on the other hand, can regenerate its entire body over and over again. Researchers are studying the jellyfish to discover how it is able to reverse its aging process. "

http://green.yahoo.com...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 8:27:18 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Purdy freekin cool, but i'd think that random mutations/corruptions would eventually kill it...

But it could prolly live a helluva long time

AND I don't know ANYthing about jellyfish Biology soo....
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 9:56:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 9:43:52 PM, Immortal wrote:
This is evidence of biological immortality.

How un-ironic. Your name, your first thread, and this post, lol.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Immortal
Posts: 350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2010 10:15:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 9:56:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 3/18/2010 9:43:52 PM, Immortal wrote:
This is evidence of biological immortality.

How un-ironic. Your name, your first thread, and this post, lol.

Yep. =D

I don't think that humans can achieve biological immortality the same way that jellyfish does it. I'm rather thinking of eliminating aging so at all times, the body will perform at its best. If the body can perform at it's best at all times, diseases will be more rare and people can be live longer.
Immortal
Posts: 350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2010 4:26:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
By the way, hypothetically-speaking, if scientists have succeeded in achieving biological immortality and distributed it, would you accept the chance to live forever, barring injury, disease, destruction, and etc. or choose death and why?
DevinKing
Posts: 206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 5:44:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/18/2010 8:24:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
From the article:

"The turritopsis nutricula species of jellyfish may be the only animal in the world to have truly discovered the fountain of youth.

Since it is capable of cycling from a mature adult stage to an immature polyp stage and back again, there may be no natural limit to its life span. Scientists say the hydrozoan jellyfish is the only known animal that can repeatedly turn back the hands of time and revert to its polyp state (its first stage of life).

The key lies in a process called transdifferentiation, where one type of cell is transformed into another type of cell. Some animals can undergo limited transdifferentiation and regenerate organs, such as salamanders, which can regrow limbs. Turritopsi nutricula, on the other hand, can regenerate its entire body over and over again. Researchers are studying the jellyfish to discover how it is able to reverse its aging process. "

http://green.yahoo.com...

--I read about this jellyfish a few years ago. Very high potential for research.
After demonstrating his existence with complete certainty with the proposition "I think, therefore I am", Descartes walks into a bar, sitting next to a gorgeous priest. The priest asks Descartes, "Would you like a drink?" Descartes responds, "I think not," and then proceeds to vanish in a puff of illogic.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 7:24:12 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I have heard about this jellyfish before. I wonder if it would be somehow used in the future to extend the life of humans? I could see scientists attempting that, lol.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 7:25:02 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/20/2010 7:24:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have heard about this jellyfish before. I wonder if it would be somehow used in the future to extend the life of humans? I could see scientists attempting that, lol.

By having us return to our infant state?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 7:26:53 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/20/2010 7:25:02 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 3/20/2010 7:24:12 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I have heard about this jellyfish before. I wonder if it would be somehow used in the future to extend the life of humans? I could see scientists attempting that, lol.

By having us return to our infant state?

Lol I dunno. I'm no scientist.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/20/2010 8:09:19 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
One problem would be that memory would probably remain finite, and one would eventually forget major events in his life. Or memory itself would reset every so often.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2010 7:45:30 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/20/2010 8:09:19 PM, mongeese wrote:
One problem would be that memory would probably remain finite, and one would eventually forget major events in his life. Or memory itself would reset every so often.

Like an unconscious re-incarnation.

The only problem is that there is an unending viscous cycle at play here. I live an 80 year life, but then I forgot I experienced it, and live my new life. Then, in my new life, I live another 80 years, but forget that as I come back as an infant.

The problem here is the unending memory drain. You can never remember experiencing something, so while you are alive, you're technically not.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2010 8:15:05 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Feh... we are only assuming that we will forget everything, maybe certain memories will linger... in any case I'd be happy to keep a diary.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Immortal
Posts: 350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2010 8:22:00 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
Biologically immortal lobsters > biologically immortal jellyfish

http://en.wikipedia.org...

"Recent research suggests that lobsters may not slow down, weaken, or lose fertility with age. In fact, older lobsters are more fertile than younger lobsters. The reason for this longevity is said to be due to telomerase, an enzyme that repairs DNA sequences of the form "TTAGGG". This sequence is often referred to as the telomeres of the DNA. It has been argued that lobsters may exhibit negligible senescence and some scientists have claimed that they could effectively live indefinitely, barring injury, disease, capture, etc."

I would rather eliminate aging than transform back into an infant stage.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2010 10:08:37 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 3/21/2010 8:22:00 AM, Immortal wrote:

I would rather eliminate aging than transform back into an infant stage.

That would be a little more convenient!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.