Total Posts:94|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Magnetic Fields And Morality

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:05:43 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Studies have shown that the right temporo-parietal junction (TPJ) lights up with activity when we engage in moral judgments like evaluating the intentions of another person, indicating the region is important to making moral decisions. But while we like to think we're very consistent in our morality, the MIT team showed that an electromagnetic field applied to the scalp impairs our ability to evaluate the intentions of others, leaving us with little by which to hand down a moral judgment.

http://www.popsci.com...
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:18:48 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:07:58 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Eat your heart out, Ragnar

Not exactly. Morality is still objective - this just screws with the process of rationalizing what is and isn't moral, as well as acts as an immoral tool to distort the rationalization process. However, I guess there's no proof that all of our rationalization (including his that he used to derive his morality) hasn't already been tampered with... dun dun dun.
President of DDO
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:20:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure if you get drunk it impairs your moral decision making, too. What's your point? To show that humans are physical beings? I'm pretty sure Ragnar knows that.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:21:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:16:22 PM, Volkov wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:07:58 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Eat your heart out, Ragnar

He has a heart?

HAHAHAHAHAHA.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:21:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:18:48 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:07:58 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Eat your heart out, Ragnar

Not exactly. Morality is still objective - this just screws with the process of rationalizing what is and isn't moral, as well as acts as an immoral tool to distort the rationalization process. However, I guess there's no proof that all of our rationalization (including his that he used to derive his morality) hasn't already been tampered with... dun dun dun.

I was referring to mind control, not morality being objective or not.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:22:57 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:07:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Tehe I wonder if Geo will use this to justify (or come up with) some conspiracy theories :P

Every 2,012 years, the magnetic poles of the Earth shift and therefore shift the magnetic fields of the brain. This explains the phenomena of bi-polar people.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:23:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Would the magnetic fields created by power-lines and normal house-hold electronics be enough to impair it? I've heard that these things can effect other biological functions.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:23:51 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:22:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:07:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Tehe I wonder if Geo will use this to justify (or come up with) some conspiracy theories :P

Every 2,012 years, the magnetic poles of the Earth shift and therefore shift the magnetic fields of the brain. This explains the phenomena of bi-polar people.

I hope you're joking :p
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:24:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:23:51 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:22:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:07:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Tehe I wonder if Geo will use this to justify (or come up with) some conspiracy theories :P

Every 2,012 years, the magnetic poles of the Earth shift and therefore shift the magnetic fields of the brain. This explains the phenomena of bi-polar people.


I hope you're joking :p

Is he ever joking when he says things like that?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:24:59 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:22:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:07:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Tehe I wonder if Geo will use this to justify (or come up with) some conspiracy theories :P

Every 2,012 years, the magnetic poles of the Earth shift and therefore shift the magnetic fields of the brain. This explains the phenomena of bi-polar people.

Saw that coming.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:25:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:24:56 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:23:51 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:22:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:07:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Tehe I wonder if Geo will use this to justify (or come up with) some conspiracy theories :P

Every 2,012 years, the magnetic poles of the Earth shift and therefore shift the magnetic fields of the brain. This explains the phenomena of bi-polar people.


I hope you're joking :p

Is he ever joking when he says things like that?

For the first time ever, yes, I was joking about that one.

However, I do believe there are legitimate conspiracy theories concerning the matter. I just haven't dug them up yet.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:27:54 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:25:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:24:56 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:23:51 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:22:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:07:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Tehe I wonder if Geo will use this to justify (or come up with) some conspiracy theories :P

Every 2,012 years, the magnetic poles of the Earth shift and therefore shift the magnetic fields of the brain. This explains the phenomena of bi-polar people.


I hope you're joking :p

Is he ever joking when he says things like that?

For the first time ever, yes, I was joking about that one.

However, I do believe there are legitimate conspiracy theories concerning the matter. I just haven't dug them up yet.

Lol, you and your conspiracy theories. xD The poles shift because the reptilians did it!
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:36:49 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:25:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

However, I do believe there are legitimate conspiracy theories concerning the matter. I just haven't dug them up yet.

Conspiracy theorists - especially those who look for them - suffer from a lot of psychological problems, I believe. Like needing to feel special or enlightened because they "know the truth" and stuff like that. Not taking things at face value can be good, but I think you ought to evaluate your need to uncover some sort of secret evil. You seem to be intentionally looking for these theories, and wanting to believe them (even going so far as to justify ludicrous things with no rationality or evidence) which I believe indicates some sort of paranoia and other issues.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:46:50 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:36:49 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:25:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

However, I do believe there are legitimate conspiracy theories concerning the matter. I just haven't dug them up yet.

Conspiracy theorists - especially those who look for them - suffer from a lot of psychological problems, I believe. Like needing to feel special or enlightened because they "know the truth" and stuff like that. Not taking things at face value can be good, but I think you ought to evaluate your need to uncover some sort of secret evil. You seem to be intentionally looking for these theories, and wanting to believe them (even going so far as to justify ludicrous things with no rationality or evidence) which I believe indicates some sort of paranoia and other issues.

That's funny you bring psychology into it. It just so happens that my favorite researcher, Michael Tsarion, is an expert in PSYCHOLOGY and philosophy and turns the spotlight back on the people who say that conspiracy theorists fit some sort of psychological profile and have the need to do this or or feel that. WRONG.

Michael Tsarion will make all those Psychologist critics look like a joke.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:50:31 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:25:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:24:56 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:23:51 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:22:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:07:51 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Tehe I wonder if Geo will use this to justify (or come up with) some conspiracy theories :P

Every 2,012 years, the magnetic poles of the Earth shift and therefore shift the magnetic fields of the brain. This explains the phenomena of bi-polar people.


I hope you're joking :p

Is he ever joking when he says things like that?

For the first time ever, yes, I was joking about that one.

Damnit Geo. Of all the times you could choose to joke, you had to do it now. You killed my credibility. :P
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:50:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:46:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That's funny you bring psychology into it. It just so happens that my favorite researcher, Michael Tsarion, is an expert in PSYCHOLOGY

That doesn't mean jack sh-t.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:51:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Michael Tsarion is a crack pot. Where are his credentials? No one talks about him in psychology.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:51:40 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
That's like saying a Christian philosopher somehow legitimizes Christianity lol. "Well they're an EXPERT in philosophy so clearly their philosophy on religion must be true!" Faaail. Fallacy. Etc. Anyway, I didn't want to derail this thread so much but che sera sera :)
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:53:34 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:50:36 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:46:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That's funny you bring psychology into it. It just so happens that my favorite researcher, Michael Tsarion, is an expert in PSYCHOLOGY

That doesn't mean jack sh-t.

You are implying that conspiracy theorists are psychologically weak and have no understanding of psychology. Just so happens, that leading conspiracy theorist Tsarion, has a deep understanding of psychology, so such asinine claims don't apply.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:54:26 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:53:34 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:50:36 PM, theLwerd wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:46:50 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That's funny you bring psychology into it. It just so happens that my favorite researcher, Michael Tsarion, is an expert in PSYCHOLOGY

That doesn't mean jack sh-t.

You are implying that conspiracy theorists are psychologically weak and have no understanding of psychology. Just so happens, that leading conspiracy theorist Tsarion, has a deep understanding of psychology, so such asinine claims don't apply.

Give me is credentials.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:55:45 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:53:34 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

You are implying that conspiracy theorists are psychologically weak and have no understanding of psychology. Just so happens, that leading conspiracy theorist Tsarion, has a deep understanding of psychology, so such asinine claims don't apply.

See my above post. Bad logic. You're also generalizing my claim.
President of DDO
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:56:56 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:51:36 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Michael Tsarion is a crack pot. Where are his credentials? No one talks about him in psychology.

Credentials come from academia. The psychology community is also from academia.

But as Mark Twain said, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

So you can't disregard a person, merely because of a lack of scholarly credentials.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:58:36 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:56:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:51:36 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Michael Tsarion is a crack pot. Where are his credentials? No one talks about him in psychology.

Credentials come from academia. The psychology community is also from academia.

But as Mark Twain said, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

So you can't disregard a person, merely because of a lack of scholarly credentials.

In other words, CRACK POT.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 9:59:55 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:51:40 PM, theLwerd wrote:
That's like saying a Christian philosopher somehow legitimizes Christianity lol. "Well they're an EXPERT in philosophy so clearly their philosophy on religion must be true!" Faaail. Fallacy. Etc. Anyway, I didn't want to derail this thread so much but che sera sera :)

Strawman.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 10:01:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:56:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:51:36 PM, Vi_Veri wrote:
Michael Tsarion is a crack pot. Where are his credentials? No one talks about him in psychology.

Credentials come from academia. The psychology community is also from academia.

But as Mark Twain said, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

So you can't disregard a person, merely because of a lack of scholarly credentials.

What a cop out answer. So much for him being an "expert" lol.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Posts: 4,487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 10:02:25 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:59:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:51:40 PM, theLwerd wrote:
That's like saying a Christian philosopher somehow legitimizes Christianity lol. "Well they're an EXPERT in philosophy so clearly their philosophy on religion must be true!" Faaail. Fallacy. Etc. Anyway, I didn't want to derail this thread so much but che sera sera :)

Strawman.

How?
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/4/2010 10:03:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 4/4/2010 9:59:55 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/4/2010 9:51:40 PM, theLwerd wrote:
That's like saying a Christian philosopher somehow legitimizes Christianity lol. "Well they're an EXPERT in philosophy so clearly their philosophy on religion must be true!" Faaail. Fallacy. Etc. Anyway, I didn't want to derail this thread so much but che sera sera :)

Strawman.

Lol first, that's not a strawman. That's an analogy. Second, your entire point is fallacious. I could point them out 1 by 1 if you'd like. Also, that's not a strawman. You're saying that we should somehow believe that crack pot because he's got a background in psychology (FALLACY) - a background that isn't even credible or substantial.
President of DDO