Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 1:37:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
How? What makes it a good conductor?
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 3:29:02 PM
At 10/24/2014 1:37:34 PM, Dazz wrote:

Are you asking about human bodies as conductors? Or something else?
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 3:46:16 PM

....a diet high in copper.
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2014 5:21:01 PM

It's not really. While a better conductor than wood, it would not fall under the category of "conductor". The resistance of the human body is around 1000 ohms, but it depends on the person and where the line of current is. Human bodies can conduct electricity, usually due to an abnormally high voltage causing a significant current. This is due to the presence of conducting metals in our body.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Dazz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 2:47:50 AM
At 10/27/2014 5:21:01 PM, Subutai wrote:

It's not really. While a better conductor than wood, it would not fall under the category of "conductor". The resistance of the human body is around 1000 ohms, but it depends on the person and where the line of current is. Human bodies can conduct electricity, usually due to an abnormally high voltage causing a significant current. This is due to the presence of conducting metals in our body.

What about water?
Remove the "I want", remainder is the "peace". ~Al-Ghazali~
"This time will also pass", a dose to cure both; the excitement & the grievance. ~Ayaz~
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 9:04:49 AM
At 10/28/2014 2:47:50 AM, Dazz wrote:
At 10/27/2014 5:21:01 PM, Subutai wrote:

What about water?

Water doesn't conduct electricity either. However, due to the water molecule's high polarization, it can dissolve ions into positive and negative particles, which will conduct electricity. This is why salt water is a relatively good conductor.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 12:35:08 AM
It's salt water in the blood that conducts electricity. As someone said, the salt dissociates to make charged ions that conduct electricity. Liquids like carbon tetrachloride are very poor conductors.

Many years ago I saw an article on how to make your own electric arc welder. It told how to drop the voltage from an electrical outlet by using two rods in a bucket of salt water as a resistor. Moving the rods closer together decreased the resistance. Given the high probability of being electrocuted, it's better not to try it, but the theory is sound.