Jump to topic:

Predictability of Evolution

slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 4:39:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This does not surprise me. I provided an article a little while back that showed a number of different electric eel species also evolved their electric organs while separated.

genetic changes should have a pattern. #1 The less changes in the number of base pairs to create a change, the more likely two separated populations would have the same mutation. I would be curious in this study of squid how many genes and base pairs changed to give this ability.

Even with a complex change, it makes sense that a particularly useful adaptions would be selected even if it took time to two separate populations to run across the number of genetic changes to have the adaption.

Once we have a full ability to snip and replace any base pair out of the billions easily we will be able to develop a predictable model via trying it out.

Here is the article.
http://www.sciencedaily.com...
apb4y
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2014 9:13:10 PM
It says something sad about DDO when intelligent threads like yours are ignored, while the anti-Evolution threads are hot. I guess people just prefer to argue about stupid shiit.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2014 3:24:03 AM
At 10/24/2014 4:39:31 PM, slo1 wrote:
This does not surprise me. I provided an article a little while back that showed a number of different electric eel species also evolved their electric organs while separated.

genetic changes should have a pattern. #1 The less changes in the number of base pairs to create a change, the more likely two separated populations would have the same mutation. I would be curious in this study of squid how many genes and base pairs changed to give this ability.

Even with a complex change, it makes sense that a particularly useful adaptions would be selected even if it took time to two separate populations to run across the number of genetic changes to have the adaption.

Once we have a full ability to snip and replace any base pair out of the billions easily we will be able to develop a predictable model via trying it out.

Here is the article.
http://www.sciencedaily.com...

The idea of evolution being predictable is already well stablished, I mean if you grow E.coli on a cultive with certain characteristics, you will always get the same new strains in almost the exact same time. Although I get that this article is trying to highlight that convergent evolution of two different species may also be predictable, which is very interesting, although not so surprising to me.

After all, if we expose a population of anything to specific selective pressure, we could predict, analysing the characteristics of that pressure, the possible adaptations that will arise on the population. Could we not?

Nice article btw!
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 12:41:10 AM
The evolution of light skin color is believed due to the advantage of generating more vitamin D in the weaker sun of high latitudes. What's interesting is that the evolutionary mechanism is different in Europeans and Asians. The same end result was accomplished in different way.
Dragonfang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 7:23:33 AM
At 10/24/2014 9:13:10 PM, apb4y wrote:
It says something sad about DDO when intelligent threads like yours are ignored, while the anti-Evolution threads are hot. I guess people just prefer to argue about stupid shiit.

What does this thread have to do with skepticism of the historical hypothesis that evolutionary mechanism are capable of bringing forth multicellular life, 100% of the diversity of species, complex biomechanical organs and biological systems, consciousness, and intelligence from the ancestors of a hypothetical proto-cell randomly through gradual steps?

No one is saying that evolutionary mechanism doesn't exist, or that there is no variation or adaption. I'd say this is an equivocation fallacy.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 7:44:17 AM

That is because this is not a surprise to people who believe in evolution. People who don't believe in evolution are not smart enough in this field to have a clue what is happening here, so the don't come here.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 7:50:29 AM
At 10/30/2014 7:23:33 AM, Dragonfang wrote:

What does this thread have to do with skepticism of the historical hypothesis that evolutionary mechanism are capable of bringing forth multicellular life, 100% of the diversity of species, complex biomechanical organs and biological systems, consciousness, and intelligence from the ancestors of a hypothetical proto-cell randomly through gradual steps?

No one is saying that evolutionary mechanism doesn't exist, or that there is no variation or adaption. I'd say this is an equivocation fallacy.

"No beneficial mutation has evre been observed"

"No new changes actually happen. They are already there, in the DNA."

"Adaptation does not I involve genetics"

These are a few quotes from anti-evos on this website in the past week. Make sure you are taking everything into account when you claim absolutes like "no one is saying".
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 8:58:06 AM

What is also ignored is when we ID types say something like "We're not debating genetics. We have no problem with the manipulation of latent information"

Seems to me evos like to dress up like intellectual elites, but aren't so good at really understanding technology issues. I wonder how much further along human understanding of the technology of life would be if we didn't have to waste so much time on propping up Darwin's bit of blarney?
This space for rent.
v3nesl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 9:00:32 AM
At 10/30/2014 7:23:33 AM, Dragonfang wrote:

I understand what you posted, but I bet most of the others here don't. "What did he say? Too many big words, he's just pretending to mean something"
This space for rent.
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/30/2014 12:27:18 PM
At 10/30/2014 9:00:32 AM, v3nesl wrote:
I understand what you posted, but I bet most of the others here don't. "What did he say? Too many big words, he's just pretending to mean something"

This is hilarious coming from you.