Jump to topic:

Should we double a human's lifespan?

jjschi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 9:03:42 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
As it stands, humans have the capabilities to double the span of human life - up to 150 years! Cell regeneration, stem cell organ growing and medicines can get us there. Is this such a good idea?
russiandebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/4/2014 9:13:38 AM
I do not think we should double the human lifespan. In a environmental sense, the world is already to over populated and to increase the life span would not help in the least. For those who are religious, if God had meant for us to live a certain length without artificial means to elongate it, then who are we to go against his will? It is one thing to have the means to make a human life longer than is, but just because we can does not mean we should. To increase the human life span would only increase the fear or death in the human race and do more damage than good.
jjschi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 8:31:14 AM
My concern and intrigue around this issue is the capabilities of the mind. What does brain function look like at the age of 150? Will it shut down, wear out, surpass all limitations? Naturally, the unknown is scary, but it would be interesting to see what would happen.
russiandebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 9:05:45 AM
what would that gain us other than to satisfy our curiosity? To see how the brain would look at a certain age is pure childish wonder. There are far more important things that our scientists should be researching instead of spending billions of dollars on a project that does not help the human race.
jjschi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2014 4:13:44 PM
I agree that it is childish wonder, which is Post-Easter Naivete in Christian Speak. The bible says it is a good thing to remain childish in our view/awe of the world.

Anyways, I fear it is inevitable that the technologies we developed to sustain life will be used to extend the natural lifespan. I agree that it is a bad idea overall. Population is and will be an issue, but robot spouses with solve that problem!!

Yet...
Think of how much we as a people would advance if we could live two generations! Do you realize how much we re-invent the wheel when a retired professional gets replaced by a rookie?
dee-em
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2014 6:21:48 AM
At 11/4/2014 9:03:42 AM, jjschi wrote:
As it stands, humans have the capabilities to double the span of human life - up to 150 years! Cell regeneration, stem cell organ growing and medicines can get us there. Is this such a good idea?

If we had the capability then the mega-rich would be living to that age. Obviously we're not there quite yet

Also, the technological approach you outline is not going to be for all but only those who can afford it. It sounds expensive. There is no ethical issue with extending life so the question you ask is moot. There are socio-economic reasons why it might have undesirable consequences if more generally available, but these wouldn't hold back the tide. Which politician would legislate against his constituents living longer?

If advances in medicine can lead to a doubling of lifespan then market forces will prevail in the end. Big pharmaceutical business will see to that.