Jump to topic:

Induced feelings of the supernatural

bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 2:55:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Regardless of your disposition, I found this interesting and thought others might too:

http://io9.com...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 3:25:55 PM
At 11/7/2014 2:55:55 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Regardless of your disposition, I found this interesting and thought others might too:

Scientists have found a way to interact with supernatural beings and you still deny that they exist. You're blind to reality, Mr. Bladerunner60.
=)
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2014 4:59:05 PM
That's so cool. I want the experiment recorded so I can watch the reactions of the subjects lol
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 1:43:49 PM
At 11/7/2014 3:25:55 PM, Enji wrote:

Scientists have found a way to interact with supernatural beings and you still deny that they exist. You're blind to reality, Mr. Bladerunner60.
=)

Actually, they found a way to make people see things that aren't there by stimulating parts of their brain. We can make them see, smell, feel, hear, do, other things by stimulating their brain effectively as well. Otherwise, you would be arguing that every time we stimulate a person's brain and they experience something, that experience reflects something that definitely exists externally to the observer in reality as well. Those parts of the brain are activated as you consciously experience those things in the real world.

It's not that you 'turn on' a part of someone's brain and they 'see' a new aspect of reality, it's that inducing neural activity in the brain induces hallucinatory conscious experience.

In the case of the article, the scientists were exploiting the mechanics of neural computation to induce perceptual illusions. You can, for example, make someone feel literally like the room is spinning or the ground is shaking.
Enji
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2014 11:34:13 PM
At 11/15/2014 1:43:49 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

=)

Actually, they found a way to make people see things that aren't there by stimulating parts of their brain. We can make them see, smell, feel, hear, do, other things by stimulating their brain effectively as well. Otherwise, you would be arguing that every time we stimulate a person's brain and they experience something, that experience reflects something that definitely exists externally to the observer in reality as well. Those parts of the brain are activated as you consciously experience those things in the real world.

It's not that you 'turn on' a part of someone's brain and they 'see' a new aspect of reality, it's that inducing neural activity in the brain induces hallucinatory conscious experience.

In the case of the article, the scientists were exploiting the mechanics of neural computation to induce perceptual illusions. You can, for example, make someone feel literally like the room is spinning or the ground is shaking.

In the future I'll be sure to turn on DDO's sarcasm font.
UndeniableReality
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2014 12:39:15 AM
At 11/15/2014 11:34:13 PM, Enji wrote:
At 11/15/2014 1:43:49 PM, UndeniableReality wrote:

=)

In the future I'll be sure to turn on DDO's sarcasm font.

I think I read the first sentence and jumped the gun. My bad =P