Jump to topic:

What is Dark Matter/Antimatter

enderpigdebates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 1:41:52 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
According to NASA, Antimatter is the opposite of matter. I really need this info for a job of mine, so please no stupid/rude/mean/etc. stuff.
When in doubt, pinky out. -Patrick Star
enderpigdebates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 1:44:03 PM
At 11/11/2014 1:41:52 PM, enderpigdebates wrote:
According to NASA, Antimatter is the opposite of matter. I really need this info for a job of mine, so please no stupid/rude/mean/etc. stuff.

It would be really helpful
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2014 3:14:35 PM
First, antimatter and dark matter are not the same thing. Dark matter is still matter, whereas antimatter is the opposite of matter (as each particle has an opposite charge and spin). When matter and antimatter meet, they annihilate to release energy. Dark matter, on the other hand, is the explanation we have for the observable universe. If there wasn't more matter in the universe, the universe would have flown apart due to the smaller gravitational forces. Dark matter simply helps make the math come out right.

Antimatter has been postulated, explained, and observed, whereas we neither know what dark matter is or even if it exists.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
enderpigdebates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 8:34:29 AM
At 11/11/2014 3:14:35 PM, Subutai wrote:
First, antimatter and dark matter are not the same thing. Dark matter is still matter, whereas antimatter is the opposite of matter (as each particle has an opposite charge and spin). When matter and antimatter meet, they annihilate to release energy. Dark matter, on the other hand, is the explanation we have for the observable universe. If there wasn't more matter in the universe, the universe would have flown apart due to the smaller gravitational forces. Dark matter simply helps make the math come out right.

Antimatter has been postulated, explained, and observed, whereas we neither know what dark matter is or even if it exists.

... oh, ok. what kind of energy is that that matter and antimatter make when they meet ?
Theophilos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 1:09:23 PM
At 11/12/2014 8:34:29 AM, enderpigdebates wrote:

... oh, ok. what kind of energy is that that matter and antimatter make when they meet ?

High amounts of photon energy (as Gamma radiation) and lower levels of different neutrinos. Since the quark spins of anti matter are different it is literally the anti Christ of matter.

Dark matter and dark energy are not absolutely proven, they have not been observed. They do however explain why the Universe is the way it is.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 2:17:00 PM
At 11/12/2014 8:34:29 AM, enderpigdebates wrote:

Light (which is pure energy). For example, when a positron (antimatter equivalent of an electron) and an electron meet, the annihilate into pure energy in the form of gamma rays.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
chui
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2014 5:13:21 PM
Simple lepton (electron, muon and tau) particle anti-particle annihilation creates a pair of gamma rays. However hadron annihilation, that is particles made of quarks, can result in many outcomes. I believe the weak force is responsible for the added complexity here. Electrons, positrons, neutrinos and any of the quarks can be produced.
All annihilations must obey a number of conservation laws: spin, energy, charge, momentum, angular momentum, hadron number, lepton number. (I may have missed some but these are the main ones)
At the particle level we do not distinguish between types of energy other than kinetic( or moving )energy and potential( or stored) energy.
Otokage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2014 5:15:14 AM
At 11/11/2014 1:41:52 PM, enderpigdebates wrote:

Matter is made of particles, antimatter is made of antiparticles. Antiparticles are equal to particles, except that they have a different electric charge (for example a positron would be the antiparticle of an electron). Under certain conditions, when particle and antiparticle meet, they annihilate each other producing new particles with no electric charge. Following the electron example, when it meets with a positron, it creates two photons (light).

An interesting thing to mention on this topic is that one of the most persistent uncertainties in theoretical physics is why the universe is made up mostly of matter and not antimatter. This asymmetry is believed to be the result of complex processes during the Big Bang.

About dark matter, it is an hypothetical matter that we can not detect because it doesn"t emit enough electromagnetic radiation for us to detect it (hence the "dark" adjective). Although we conclude it exists because we see its supposed gravitational effects on observable matter, basically modifying the expected orbital speeds of galaxies, stars, etc. In summary, since matter in the Universe is not behaving as we would expect, we assume there"s something making it behave differently, and that is dark matter. It is also assumed that there"s more dark matter than matter in the Universe.

As for Dark Energy, the concept is also hypothetical. The Universe is expanding faster than we would expect, so we assume there"s an energy producing this accelerated expansion, and that is dark energy.