Jump to topic:

Fusion power by 2016?

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 2:07:27 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
I was on Wikipedia and after about 30 minutes found myself on 2016. i then noticed that was the planned testing date for ITER, a prototype for Nuclear Fission for use as an energy source. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Now, the advantages of fission energy are enormous, however, do you think this has potential?

This is a diagram of what it's made of for Science geeks out there. http://www.iter.org...
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 2:21:57 PM
The fuel - a mixture of Deuterium and Tritium, two isotopes of Hydrogen - is heated to temperatures in excess of 150 [fuggin] million°C, forming a [LOL] hot plasma. [BUT!] Strong magnetic fields are used to keep the plasma away from the walls [THEY CAN FRIGGIN KEEP HEAT AWAY WITH MAGNETS]; these are produced by superconducting coils surrounding the vessel, and by an electrical current driven through the plasma.

They say magic is nothing more than sufficiently advanced technology...
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 4:07:18 PM
At 5/2/2010 2:21:57 PM, Rezzealaux wrote:
The fuel - a mixture of Deuterium and Tritium, two isotopes of Hydrogen - is heated to temperatures in excess of 150 [fuggin] million°C, forming a [LOL] hot plasma. [BUT!] Strong magnetic fields are used to keep the plasma away from the walls [THEY CAN FRIGGIN KEEP HEAT AWAY WITH MAGNETS]; these are produced by superconducting coils surrounding the vessel, and by an electrical current driven through the plasma.

I don't get the lulz in this. Are the bolded thingies supposed to be sarcastic comments?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 4:10:40 PM
At 5/2/2010 4:07:18 PM, Kleptin wrote:

I don't get the lulz in this. Are the bolded thingies supposed to be sarcastic comments?

He's just reveling in the awesomeness of technology. Keeping heat away with magnets seems pretty cool.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 4:21:53 PM
lol i can totally see the protests now
IF WE HAVE FUSION REACTORS IT WILL CREATE A NEW CHERNOBYL EVENT

If those magnets fail, an area the size of Manhattan would disappear in an instant, and an area the size of New Jersey would be set on fire moments after that.

uhh i dunno what these scientists are thinkng man. are they all arsonists or something?

Whatever happened to PervRat? I miss imitating him.
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2010 11:26:37 PM
At 5/2/2010 2:07:27 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I was on Wikipedia and after about 30 minutes found myself on 2016. i then noticed that was the planned testing date for ITER, a prototype for Nuclear Fission for use as an energy source. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Now, the advantages of fission energy are enormous, however, do you think this has potential?

This is a diagram of what it's made of for Science geeks out there. http://www.iter.org...

ITER will not be the first fussion reator. It will be the first (if all goes well) commercial one. There have been test reactors for years, though they were never intended to be more then test projects to see if the real thing lined up with the math and expected results.

But anyway, this will happen, it will start off inefficent, and get better (as do all things pretty much when given time). Fusion itself is far more powerful then fission, and so it is expected that it is possible to get more energy harrnessed out of it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 7:54:33 AM
At 5/2/2010 11:26:37 PM, OreEle wrote:
But anyway, this will happen, it will start off inefficent, and get better (as do all things pretty much when given time). Fusion itself is far more powerful then fission, and so it is expected that it is possible to get more energy harrnessed out of it.

You do mean Fission > Fusion?
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Frankthebunny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 8:01:31 AM

Did you get that from Civilization 4?
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2010 9:34:55 AM
At 5/3/2010 8:01:31 AM, Frankthebunny wrote:

Did you get that from Civilization 4?

You mean the "quote"? No, I saw it attributed to some famous scifi writer, but I forgot and it's not relevant enough to google him/her up.

Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2010 10:33:45 PM
At 5/3/2010 7:54:33 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/2/2010 11:26:37 PM, OreEle wrote:

You do mean Fission > Fusion?

No... Fusion is much more powerful than fission. Fusion is the concept where the mayor holds up a glass of water and tells the city that this glass has all the energy that they need for an entire year.

In fusion, you combine 2 particles to form a slightly lighter particle and harness the extra energy that resulted from the drop in mass... I could be wrong, but fission only harnasses the WEAK nuclear force, while fusion takes advantage of the strong nuclear force.
Master P is the end result of capitalism.
Rob1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2010 10:36:00 PM
1961 Arthur C. Clark
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Master P is the end result of capitalism.