Jump to topic:

Defending Science in Knoxville

sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 6:11:44 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
Yours truly defending a science book in Knoxville, TN. I speak at 126.29 on the 5/5/10 video.
http://board.knoxschools.org...

A parent was upset over the phrase "biblical myth" in an intro section of an evolution chapter in an advanced science book for a local high school. I will give more details if DDO is interested, but I will say that I never knew how much of a southern dialect permeates my voice. I have never heard myself speak on video. Anyway, I am the exceedingly handsome bald guy. How did I do?
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 6:27:48 PM
I'm not one to speak, but...

I thought you did a great job! I thought you were maybe a little bit too nervous in the beginning, but you got much more confident as you kept on talking! Awesome. (:
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 6:34:05 PM
For what it's worth, I think you did very well. The problem is that your point about children understanding what is meant by "Myth" won't be believed. Even *I* have trouble reading the sentence without seeing it as an attack on the Bible. It's just that I chuckle and agree instead of screaming in outrage like the uneducated housewife who had nothing better to do than read a science textbook for the first time in her life.

Let them set a precedent. Let ALL the Bible states ban Evolution. Let them teach Intelligent Design. Let them teach *Creationism* for all I care. It'll make it easier for research facilities to distinguish between who deserves to get a job bettering mankind and who's better off teaching kids that humans used to have dinosaurs as pets.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 7:01:10 PM
I watched some more testimonies.

And, yeah, even if you don't like the word "myth"--which, by the opinion of one professor, may have just been written to have some diction variety--it's a little bit excessive to *BAN* a book because of it.

Furthermore, why are we assuming that students actually read books? Most students won't bother to do the reading, and the few smart students who can read into context (in this case the scientific context of the word "myth," indicating non-provable explanations) won't be biased into one side or the other anyway because they'll understand what is being said!

I mean, I understand this is a fight over values--not actually a fight over one word. But it still all seems a little silly imo.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2010 7:03:38 PM
Thanks guys,
Poe, I was nervous. I have not spoken in front of a crowd in quite some time and I broke a rule and wrote my speech. If I could write it, should I speak? I messed myself up because I put too much weight on my shoulders. I actually missed two key points but I was in hostile territory. The complainant was two seats away with many supporters. While I spoke, I was told that a person, sitting a seat behind me said, "I can't believe I am sitting near an evolutionist". I don't want a war with them. I love to debate, but I will not do so if science education is in the balance. I only want the parent to stop. He said he will continue to appeal as will the other parents. I am worried for my city. We do not have to money to lose a trial, and creationism is a losing fight. They do not care.
Kleptin, thank you and if all I did was let the Knox county students know that the greatest dictionary in the English language is a library card away, then I will be fine. Thank you for your comments.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.