Jump to topic:

Could we be inside a black hole?

Skepticalone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 9:48:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Has anyone ever heard of a theory in which our universe is a black hole? The edge of the universe could be the event horizon and the density of mass in our universe is consistent with a singularity the size of our universe. Black holes in our universe could be gateways to other realities. Any thoughts on this?
This thread is like eavesdropping on a conversation in a mental asylum. - Bulproof

You can call your invisible friends whatever you like. - Desmac

What the hell kind of coked up sideshow has this thread turned into. - Casten
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2014 11:50:02 PM
There are such theories. Right now there is no way to prove the idea true or false, so it's pure speculation. Such unproved theories means job security for cosmologists.

Search "Are we inside a black hole?" on the web for a lot of relevant articles. One says:

"And what about all of us, here in our own universe? We might be the product of another, older universe. Call it our mother universe. The seed this mother universe forged inside a black hole may have had its big bounce 13.8 billion years ago, and even though our universe has been rapidly expanding ever since, we could still be hidden behind a black hole's event horizon." http://news.nationalgeographic.com...
Mhykiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2014 12:41:49 AM
At 11/27/2014 9:48:02 PM, Skepticalone wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of a theory in which our universe is a black hole? The edge of the universe could be the event horizon and the density of mass in our universe is consistent with a singularity the size of our universe. Black holes in our universe could be gateways to other realities. Any thoughts on this?

As stated there are theories like this. In our 3d universe when a black hole forms all it's properties are related to it's event horizon which is a 2d surface.

theories suggest our 3d universe is the result of a 4d blackhole collapsing.

http://www.nature.com...
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 8:21:26 PM
At 12/9/2014 7:41:55 PM, Geographia wrote:
Bomberman 64 was a awesome game.

Amazingly relevant to the topic. Well done.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
Kyle_the_Heretic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2014 8:33:24 PM

That's all too cerebral for me, but it would be pretty cool.
Thinking is extremely taxing on the gullible, and it takes hours to clear the smoke.
FaustianJustice
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2014 12:23:22 AM

I had a short discussion with some one about the nature of the universe, still speeding up, the Big bang, you know, the usual stuff over beer and pizza, in which it was posited that post Big bang, we should be slowing down, but are speeding up. Why? I offered that we might still be in the proverbial barrel of the gun, but barreling faster and faster toward an ultra supermassive black hole could be just as plausible. Perhaps our particular section of the universe was some variety of stellar emmision that returned to a state in which the USMBH's gravity well could take hold of us again, and return to drawing us back.

Heh. Look at me, saying 'us' when all I am referring to is Earth and its local planets, when the entirety of known creation would be lumped in there. Derp.
Here we have an advocate for Islamic arranged marriages demonstrating that children can consent to sex.
http://www.debate.org...